Losing Interest

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OldsCut78, Dec 29, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i lost interest when my sight was deteriorating.
    and i had quote-unquote the best doctor in the SE telling me i was never gonna get it back.
    to have a house full of these things i couldn't enjoy was depressing.

but that doctor screwed up when i called him during an emergency and didn't act like he was concerned.
    i went to a new doctor (hell, i was in pain at the time) and guess what? He gave me my sight back. and now, i really appreciate my toys, my hobby more than ever.

I have had to start over, but because of my past experience with them, i don't collect as aggressively as before. In fact i force myself to put a distance between the toys and myself.

i think that all hobbyists reach a point where they get burned out, but with a short break, a step back, you can reevaluate and possibly get back in with a new outlook- even a healthier one.

Enjoy the TFs ya got and maybe a new one will come out and get yer interest back in this little hobby. good luck on that.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Wow. Just... wow.
    I guess it's true: sometimes you really don't know what you have until you lose it. I am really happy for you... that you had a second chance at sight.
    I hope things continue to look up for you.

3. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I know how you feel...although for different reasons. In the very near future I'll pick up the last piece that I was actively seeking. I've lost interest in accumulating new product just for the sake of accumulating new product. Sure, I picked up a 25th Prime on the cheap, but that was a unique circumstance that couldn't be passed up. One of these years I'll have to start selling off most of the compulsive accumulation and just concentrate of what I really like (whatever that may be).
    Of course...there is the new movie coming out....that may change a lot of minds.

4. Usmcloady

Usmcloady Well-Known Member

Wow thats crazy Jorod. I recently almost lost my vision due to a retinal problem I had since birth. All fixed now. I'm in lower Alabama (not from here originally though). Must be something in the water :) 

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I went from collecting Transformers to collecting more Transformers.

6. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

maybe you should just take a break for a bit. sometimes a long break can rekindle what got you to love TFs in the first place. It sounds like if you have 99% all TFs in your toy collection that you're really into em. Perhaps its something else makin you feel a bit 'bleh' too?

7. AMG

AMG Old School

Sounds like you just need to branch out into other things and let TFs go on hold for a while. I've done this in the past (like completely skipping the Unicron trilogy of toys) and focused on other things I collect. When the time is right, you'll most likely come back to TFs refreshed and ready to go again.

8. TheNotoriousROB

TheNotoriousROB Well-Known Member

I lost interest around the Beast Wars Era, but since TFTM I'm slowly collecting TF's, G.I. Joe and The Clone Wars figures.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you for that.

it is okay to lose interest in something, especially if you notice that it takes you away from other pursuits.
    it took all that for me to see things that way and now i am glad for it.

we all go through a phase like this.
    but i think it is a defense mechanism or a failsafe; it makes us evaluate, and if things are green, we move along. if it's red and we see a problem, step away, take care of yourself and come back when you are able.
    it all works out in the end.

Usmcloady, ya got my thoughts and prayers that your vision is fixed and permanently. (and yeah, the water here could cause blindness- that shite is nasty, lol.)

10. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

After reading this I have no complaints. My prayers are out to you. Take care and stop drinking that water.

11. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

That's great! My eyesight was getting a little blurry at about 3-4ft, I got glasses and man let me tell you, it's amazing. It's like going from Analog tv to HD tv:drool: 

12. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    sounds to me like it might be a time to reorganize and reprioritize the collection. Keep only the figures you really really want and part with the rest. Only buy a figure if you really want it, not just because it's new, or part of a set. Read online reviews, watch youtube reviews, they can be helpful if you want to know about a toy before you buy it.

13. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

i lost interest when michael bay came along....ruined the transformers for myself and loads of fans and if anything if brought all the power rangers fans into the TF fandom with the crappy movie designs and piss poor character presentations.

Hasbro ruin things with Animated which is the most piss poor TF show since beast machines.... but even beast machines had a good few episodes while animated is just wank from start to finish

14. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Maybe you just need to take time off from it i have backed off some i dont spend as much money as before on them

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know, I'm going through a similar ordeal now, but I'm such a compulsive buyer at times. I've found that when I get a new figure I tf it once or twice, and then it gets put on the shelf. So I'm wondering the same thing about loosing interest. I love my collection, but... I'm to focused on it at times when there are more important things to deal with.

16. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I do know how you feel. Every so often, I take a leave from the boards, just front page and such, I always come back within a few weeks to a month.

I'd recommend the same, as others have said, just take a break and see what happens

But, but....you're "Retired" :lol 

I know, man, Hasbro wiped out my bank account with those. I am taking a good break, myself. Certainly not quitting them, but I am on a buying freeze for a bit. I don't even go to stores and torture myself.

To be honest, if they only release what we know of so far, and stop, I can say I got what I wanted from the line. I would be lying if I said I did not want more vehicles, sometime down the road, though.

Thank goodness it is going on Hiatus, honestly, with a Botcon trip, I would not be able to keep up. And thank goodness I don't care much for the movie stuff. (again cool vehicles might get me... I'm anxious to see the Night Raven, otherwise pretty meh for me.

17. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

i did i only buy one every once in a while...now i buy LEGO mainly

18. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

What kind of Legos?

19. Monte Williams

Monte Williams Deconstructicon

As someone who is as compulsive about getting rid of things as I am about buying them, and who occasionally regrets it, I advise you to pack your toys up in some boxes, leave 'em out of your sight for a month or three, and then pull them back out.

Whatever excites you when you retrieve it from the box, keep.

Whatever fails to excite you, trade or sell.

Getting them all off your shelf or wherever for a few months will help to make them feel less like the all-consuming, exhausting obligation they've probably become; maybe they'll even become fun again.

20. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    It happens to everybody, and if it hasn't yet, it will. It happened to me. I've been here a long, long time, and I've seen it happen over and over to people who swore it never would. And I'm here to tell you: it's okay.