Losing Interest

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OldsCut78, Dec 29, 2008.

1. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

I have had very little to no interest in any other line of toys for a long time. Recently I did manage to caught in the Mugenbine lines. Now I look at my Transformer collection and wonder why I have 99% Transformers in my collection. Is there a time to call it quits? Or am I losing interest?

2. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I lost interest in most modern lines (Except most Classics). Now I just focus on what I like, G1, MP and Classics.

3. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you are asking the question, then you already know the answer :) 

4. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

I'm losing interest in tfs but gaining interest in Legos...

Money has to be thrown somewhere!

5. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    That's funny, I went from LEGO's to transformers.

6. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    me too!! but I still buy LEGO just not as much

7. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

all my money goes to my car, very rarely will i buy a toy, if i do its because its soundwave and thats pretty much it

8. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I kinda know how you feel, I'm sort of going through the same thing with Mattel's die-cast Cars. They're really cool and I LOVE the movie Cars but... I'm just starting to lose interest. It's like, there are so many characters they're coming out with and it's hard finding them in the stores. I don't wanna just buy the cases on eBay 'cause then I'll have all the extra ones I don't want (It's too bad Mattel doesn't have an online shop like Hasbro!).

And I kinda went through the same thing with Transformers about mid-way through Energon. I kept thinking ("this show isn't very good, and Armada wasn't so great either... I think I need to take a break"). Fortunately I had DVDs of G1 through Beast Machines so it's not like I was completely Transformer-less, I just wasn't interested in anything current.

But fortunately the '07 movie was amazing and Animated is amazing too, so now I collect all the Animated toys (whenever they become available at HTS, I'm all up-to-date btw ;)  ) and it feels great to be a Transformers fan again! =D

9. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    that is exactly why i am selling tons of my tf's now....i will keep maybe 30 of them...all the others are going....

10. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's natural to get burnt out on anything that you spend a lot of time with. Best thing to do if you feel you are getting burnt out, is to just take that time away from the hobby that your need. Get some fresh air and maybe in time you'll regain interest. No sense forcing yourself to stay with it if you're just not feeling it.

11. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    True that. I have been gone for the batter part of 2 years. I'm back, Classics 2.0 and Botcon being close has re-sparked my interest.

12. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

Maybe it's because nothing has really grabbed my interest since RID. Just a few Takara exclusives.

13. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Brother do I hear that one, aside from some of the new classics nothing out of Hasbro has caught my eye in a long while.

14. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Guess I can understand. Recently I've been wanting to get a Bionicle or Power Ranger, just to try it out. But I'm still big into TF's, that's the first place my money goes to spend. With ROTF looming, I can't go careless.

15. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'm getting burnt out on 25th/modern era Joes. At first, they were really fun with basicly only the major character coming out. A nice little side collection to get while Transformers were in a down period for me. Then vehicles and two-pack were introduced, which okay and I got a few, but now they're just rolling out the product. New characters and multiple multiple version of the same character over and over again. Multiple repaints of vehicle molds. New interesting characters, but ones I really care nothing for. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the line is the success that it is, but its just gotten to be way to much to handle. The most recent waves came out so quickly I've nearly lost all interest.

Transformers on the other hand have been relatively slow with new waves. It was like two months in-between finding waves 3 and 4 of Universe. My interest is still pretty strong.

16. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Man personally I can't get enough of the new Joes. Granted there are a few more that I am skipping in the recent waves (Cobra Flint, Torch and Ripper) but I have been all over this line and it will be a sad day for me when it goes on "Hiatus" for the movie line.

17. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Oddly enough, I have only been collecting Transformers for a year and I already went through a phase where I thought to myself "do I really enjoy this?" I came to the conclusion that I did, but I had to limit myself more. So I set up some ground rules, such as no more crazy repaints like Off Road Ironhide and First Strike Optimus unless they are of a new character. As of right now, I am also only focusing on characters that have appeared on one of the shows. Finally, my last rule as of now is I must watch a show before I buy a figure from it. That sounds crazy, but that combined with the second rule helps limit my scope and make collecting more fun and less of a hassle.

While I have been only collecting Transformers for a short while, I have been collecting and playing video games my entire life. There have been numerous times I have felt like I have lost interest in them, similar to what has been discussed regarding the toys. To combat this, I do basically the same thing I do with Transformers: limit the focus and enjoy what I have.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

My problem is finding a way to kill my interest since it's going to be a long dry period of nothing new to catch my interest.

Classics is going on hold so no new Transformers for me since the movie figures and Animated figures just aren't my cup of tea. GI Joe will likely be nothing on the shelves but movie figures which so far don't interest me at all. So both my main hobbies are looking mighty darn slim outside of comic books to remind of the stuff I liked.

Not even any new toys to really grab me because I just don't like the look or how the new 4" DC figures are made. I don't like enough of the upcoming 4" Marvel figures to order entire waves and that's sure to be hit by scalpers so hard as to not even bother collecting.

So yea I've got to find some way to just lose my interest in toys until Hasbro or someone is willing to make something I'd be interested in buying. Which is going to be pretty rough because up until all the lines I enjoyed got put on hold I was really enjoying the toy hobby.

19. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

I guess I got lucky on the new Joe stuff. The only thing that caught my eye was the HISS tank. Well at least I am not alone on this. Hasbro has really been losing me as a customer.

20. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Its a hobby. The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it. Try and combine it with other things. Like work on new displays, maybe making stop action movies, doing toy reviews, joining the radicon forces, etc.

Collecting hard to get things usually works well for me. Pick one figure, and don't get anything else until you get that one! For me right now I'm working on my G1 Devastator, finding everyone one individually complete and as minty fresh as possible. Much more fun than just getting a already complete gift set.