Losing interest? What causes it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exclusacon, Sep 26, 2011.

1. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I, myself have quit collecting a lot ( hope this isnt a volation of the rules).
    A couple reasons play a part in me losing interest....lack of new stuff in stores...its hard to keep the passion going when there isnt anything new in stores....

No wow factor in new figures

Droughts

And sometimes age come in...

But i always comeback when something awesome happens....like 3rd party stufff....

How do you maintain interest?

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

If there's ever a lull in new toys that I'm interested in, I usually just customize existing ones or make them from scratch.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    by taking things in smaller strides.

Allow me to give examples:

One person may like steak, but if they eat steak every meal, for a month, you can bet his likeness will decrease.

One person may get addicted to an MMORPG, but if they play 24/7 for a year, soon they will have lost interest (maybe a bit longer), because you play too much in a short amount of time.

In the same way, the best way to keep interest, is making sure you are ALWAYS craving for MORE than you got. So if a person has everything they want in a hobby? Naturally, they either quit, or bitch that nothing new that they want is coming out.

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well, I haven't lost interest just yet. But I think I will once:

- I finish collecting the lines I am collecting
    - Deciding if I should start a new line and if it is really worth it
    - Cost
    - Like you said, nothing new out there

For me though, there is still more to collect and so much cool third party stuff that I am sure I will slow down, but I will not just loose interest all together. These are still too cool to me.

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Key phrase guys: PACE YOURSELF.

Just like a runner running long distance asking how do you not die after the first few minutes? you pace yourself.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, a lot of it has become redundant and/or predictable and/or underwhelming. I hate the movie stuff, so that's obviously off my radar. I actively collect the CHUG stuff, but it's been on hiatus for a while. The TF Prime stuff looks pretty good, but it still just feels like Animated 2.0 to me overall, so I'm not as "wowed!" by it as I was with Animated. And Masterpieces... well, MP-10 looks to be the start of a more expensive yet scaled down complete reboot of that line with the same characters all over again.

So at this point, all I'm committed to is the CHUG stuff. And apparently we still have a while to wait before it starts up again in full force.

7. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is just my opinion, but I think people are getting a tiny bit sick of movie figures. Even if one loves the movies, there's been a bit of a drought of figures lately, with nothing much in the way of being truly awe-inspiring.

Also, personally, I feel that Transformers isn't quite as adventurous or "fun" as before when it comes to toy design. While the engineering, sculpting and details keeps getting better, I am a bit bored with the status quo of realistic vehicles that convert into detailed robots. Call me weird, but I'm willing to say that I miss some of the outlandish gimmicks introduced in the Unicron Trilogy, when Transformers were wacky and weird. Again, I see this as an over-saturation of movie figures, but that's just my opinion.

8. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    I can kind of understand the OPs position, movie designs are...ok, but it's had so many toys it feels really bland. So I've started going back and getting things I missed as I started collecting recently and contemplating on trying a few 3rd party stuff. The best thing to do is always pace yourself, and don't be afraid to just fiddle around with what you already have.

9. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I've pretty much quit collecting for the time being. My collection centers on '84 Transformers with some Chms seekers and '85 cars and jets added in. I mostly buy o scale and 28mm scenery to re-create scenes from the show now. I will be buying that 3rd party Powerglide though.

10. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

for me it's the over saturation of movies' toys, i don't hate it, but like some one said the real world vehicle mode and transformation has become kinda stagnant. i missed the outlandish vehicle mode like the giant trike race car or missile carrier truck that has even more weapons hidden inside the missile bays. also not a fan of the movies gnarly limbs/panel fitting designs.

11. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I've found I'm more fond of the hunt than the actual purchasing/collecting. I do have figures that I want like crazy, but they're usually future releases, which frees me up to either impulse-buy the ones that look cool, or report on new-but-I'm-not-interested ones to other local collectors.

Also, during lulls, I go looking for decent deals on older figures that came before my collecting time, or ones I missed out on because of some other factor.

As long as Transformers is a thing, I'm likely going to be collecting to some degree. And when I finally have kids, they will be set as far as toys go. :D 

12. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    When I lose interest for a few months, you can blame Lego, Sony, Square Enix and my TV.

13. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think what causes it is seeing the same stuff that doesn't appeal to you like with movie-verse figures clogging up store pegs and shelves but if there's anything you still want whether it be third party or from TakaraTomy or Hasbro,it will keep you interested or it could be age (like teenagers saying that they're not 5 year olds towards cartoons and toys) or even their peers.It's happened to me and probably to everyone at least once.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unless you have unlimited funds (if you do, good on you), I think the secret lies in seeking out great figures you may have missed. Currently I'm returning to the Masterpiece lines and enjoying it immensely. Buying, simply for the sake of buying, leads to disenchantment.

15. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Fruitless hunting at the end of the ROTF line helped kill it for me. Follow that up with what I consider (and I like movie figures) a lackluster DOTM line and exclusives, and I kind of got bored with collecting. I am not into most figures smaller than deluxes, not into HA basics, PCCs, or TF: Prime, and most of the import stuff I want takes me a little saving to get. That and I have been prettywell out of room for about a year, so the figures that I do get just pile up.

16. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I too think the TF Line is in a rutt right now,its been months since we've got anything new,it just causes a major lack of sales in my opinion.But I am hoping in a few months with the Prime toys mine and everybody else's figure spending will pick back up,but until then we will just have to still look at those Crap-On-A-Stick Dark of the Moon Repaints.

17. grandizerGo

grandizerGo Predaking

News Credits:
    I feel the same way..ive only purchased 4 dark of the moon figs..I own every movie 1 and 2 toys and love the classics and generations line.but there isnt shit in stores right now or until prime figures start hitting the shelves which look amazing..what has kept this hobby alive for me is 3rd party stuff and my opinion its better than the official hasbro stuff..I mean for an example stuff like fansproject bruticus,warbot defender,city commander,protector,insecticons ect.the awesome perfect effect minions,..and I-gear dirge,thrust,ramjet,and sunstorm, the tfc hercules aka devastator is a collectors dream come true!!! just really good stuff..and my opinion has added a breath of fresh air to the transformer world..and there is ton of stuff on the horizon..so in my opinion hasbro can keep repainting the same old stuff and throw on a new head here and there and let it clog up the shelves..lol maybe i will pick one up.

18. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    a new line that mixes it up is great A/E/C was a great bunch of years. but then 2007 rolls along..and the movie line didn't do it for me..... then it came back 2 more times.... and last a year.... and RTS couldn't be found. stuff like that causes interest loss.

19. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

for me, especially lately.

- market saturation especially 3rd party.
    - poor materials. there's a huge difference in the plastic used between last years and this years
    - not enough variety. repaints are B O R I N G!
    - no apparent improvements in engineering.
    - and the worst one yet, boring transformations. screw DOTM minus HA.

the latest toy i got which was DOTM LC IH. such a boring toy. after almost a month of drought, i finally got this and there was no excitement at all.

20. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Nothing I want is out. After I get Leadfoot, Soundwave, and Wheeljack, I'm done with DOTM and transformers until the Prime toyline comes out