Lord of the Rings....The Tv series?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I love the idea. I think the future of adaptation is the streaming series. I just don't know why you'd do it now, and not in 5 years or more.

3. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Children of hurin would make an awesome series I think. I'm excited for this though. There's so much left to Tolkien s lore yet to be tapped into.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I would love to see a series that focuses a little more on the lore of Middle-Earth rather than the big action scenes like the Jackson films, and I overall really like the Jackson films. You can't outdo the films' spectacle on television really, and the mythology and world-building is why I love Tolkien's work, so something that shows that aspect of his labors could be good if well executed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

A serie set in the time between the time of Sauron's defeat at Isildur's hands and the events of the Hobbit might be interesting. Would allow for some creative freedom

• Like Like x 2
  6. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Hmm, if it’s good enough, I’m all game.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I’m up for it. I love the Lord of the Rings universe, and there’s some untapped potential for more stories in the film medium.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it could work.

With a big budget action movie you are pretty much pushing everything to the big battle. If something has to get the ax to fit the run time then it's going to be things like character and world building. Since even Amazon money will not get you big grand battles all of the time that would give the show plenty of time to dive deep into character interactions and build up the world around these characters.

In a way it might actually be a bit easier to make because Lord of the Rings wouldn't need sets world wide. Peter Jackson has already shown that a place like New Zealand has all the locations you'd need since you need frozen wastelands or deserts that Game of Thrones needs to have the characters in the right environments.

As a book nerd I'd really like to get some time with the characters that the movies brushed over. And hey orcs. It would be cool to get TV fantasy that isn't all humans, undead humans and the occasional magical creature thrown in.

9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Yeah when I heard this I kind of assumed a re-telling of what we've seen in the movies (which would be both good and bad. Good in that you can include a lot more if the stuff the movies didn't have time for, but bad in the sense that the Jackson movies are so iconic I'm not sure I could stomach seeing other people in the roles) BUT the idea of perhaps exploring periods of time or places elsewhere, even during the "main story" (maybe even eluding to being part of the same "universe" as the films), is really intriguing. Guess we'll see! I'll reserve judgment until we hear more concrete things about this

• Like Like x 1
  10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    This sounds interesting. A lot of TV shows (Game of Thrones, Shannara) have taken to adapting grand fantasies, so this could work out well too. (And if not, I have a copy of the novel to keep me going)

There's a handful of things the series could feature differently from the films:
    - the appearance of Tom Bombadil
    - Maybe some extended flashbacks featuring the Silmarillion
    - Saruman making it to the Shire

Anyway, keeping an eye out on this.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I think a fall of Numenor would be an interesting series. Starting with them hauling Sauron in chains and his corrupting their world from within. Political drama, swords and sorcery, minimal locations, compelling characters.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Yes, we don't need the Lord of the Rings retold in t.v. form.

13. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a massive fan of Tolkien and all things Middle-earth I'm completely ready for whatever this turns out to be! (Good timing for this too: I just had a marathon of the current films with my girlfriend yesterday!) I've thought a readaptation of the books into a TV show could work, if for nothing else than to see some of the things that had to be left behind when making the movies, like Tom Bombadil, Glorfindel, the Scouring of the Shire, and so on. But I'd also be just as excited to see other stories set in the same world, maybe even connected to the existing movies? (Now that would be an ultimate marathon!) I'll be keeping a close eye out for more news on this as time goes on! :D 

14. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Only interested if Tom Bombadil is included. The whole segment, in its entirety. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  15. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    This is the first time ever I’ve heard of this Tom Bombadil character.

I’m almost on the side that wants this TV show to happen. Depending on what it is, it could either expand the movie adaptations or be a new adaptation that follows the book to a practical tee.

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering how opposed to adaptations the author's son is, I'd be amazed if it gets made.

17. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, the rights to make film/television/some assorted other adaptations of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are completely out of his hands, as J. R. R. Tolkien himself sold them a long time ago. Now if they're trying to negotiate for his other works, such as The Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales, then yeah, it's unlikely. But even if this isn't going to be a straight adaptation there's plenty of material to work with in the appendices of LotR, and that's assuming this won't just be a re-adpatation.

18. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

This is not necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    I would say that you certainly could beat the Jackson films. FOTR is the only one that’s really a good movie. The others range from fair (Unexpected Journey) to awful (BOFA).

I do agree that they would be way better off going with another Legendarium story. There’s plenty to pick from. My preference would be for The Silmarilion.

20. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Two Towers and ROTK were ok, but to me they didn’t age all that well. A lot of “cheese” type moments. As far as Hobbit - I thought Unexpected Journey had its moments. The other two were trash.

• Like Like x 1