lord of the rings online to go free-to-play in fall

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by metcar, Jun 13, 2010.

1. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

2. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

I play the free DnD when I am bored with everything else. It's okay. I have an inactive LoTRO account so I guess it will become a premium account. Suppose there's no reason not to play it now when I feel like firing it up.

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Some of the games that are "Free to Play" are that in name only. I used to play one called Conquer Online and many of the players often called it " Free to Play and Pay to win." and pay some players did to the tune of more than $10,000 on a character. I kid you not.

Basically on Conquer Online if you played with out buying any of the extra stuff your doomed to be a second class player as the advantages that can be bought so tilt the game in the favor of those who do pay as to make it very much unfair. Worse still its all PvP so you constantly worrying about someone attacking you while your level grinding. one last thing if you don't spend real money on the game the Customer support won't give you the time of day, or at least did not at the point I quit.

Im not saying LOTRO is going to be like that and i hope its not , Just stating my personal experience with this type of free to play MMORPG.

4. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

well according to d&d online you can beat the game with the free items but the pay stuff makes it alot easier to win hopefully lotro follows the same path of you don't have to pay to win but paying does make it easier lol *they need some incentive*

5. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

LotRO is more of a roleplayer's game. I knew a dude who rp'ed a hobbit who would never leave the shire. He did not advance at all in level and spent months playing like that. I spent most of my time just exploring, running around taking in the sights and sharing good times at the Prancing Pony with friends. I think my max level is 21. That was a year's subscription time.

But maybe the nature of the game and community has changed. It's been awhile since I've had an active account.

6. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    there technically is a story in Conquer Online but its more about killing everyone in sight as the quests are usually simplistic and boring and the reward for 90% aren't worth the effort involved. for example getting a slightly buffed up lvl 15 weapon for a quest you have to be level 30 to beat. i need to look at both games again to see if my older pc can handle them or not i doubt it though.

Edit: it can't run either of them and my financial prospects for the near future aren't looking good for an upgrade.

7. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

yeah when it goes free in fall i'll get it mostly just to go see the sights lol

8. lifedragon99

lifedragon99 Well-Known Member

most if not all free to play mmo's are like that. you get the basic skills and items and then have to pay to get the more elite stuff, or in the case of a very very very bad game runescape o get to different areas faster and at all.

9. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    Conquer online is worse basically if you got the bank account and stomach to spend it on on a game you can buy your way to level 130+ 2nd rebirth with out killing a single friggen monster as well as take gear from the basic gear that can be bought with in game currency to the best possible gear.

you can train your weapon using ability as well by buying the items called Dragon balls ( no idea why they haven't gotten sued for it). they only thing as of the time i quit playing you could not buy to max level was special weapon skill and those you can train by having your character sit in the training zone and attack a wooden stake for a week or so.

Conquer online is basically a PKing service with minimal crappy back story where if you don't buy you die alot.

10. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I've been playing the free version the last few nights. Pretty enjoyable.

11. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Is the game a download, or just play-in-window?

12. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

City of Heroes. That's all I want and/or need in my MMO life.

13. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    From what I know, it's the download variety. The Base set of the WoW type game. Expansions are still pay, IIRC.

14. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    It's a download, and it took me quite awhile to download with my dsl connection. Had to leave it up and running all day and overnight. :lol 

15. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    On the scale of one to ten... how big is the download?

16. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    It's about 6.7 GB. Not sure where you'd put that on the download scale, but it was a 10 for me.

17. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Hmmm...interesting, would you say it sits under WoW in terms of how it plays but above other F2Play like Perfect World?

Kinda intrigued by it right now just wondering if its worth a download.

18. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Haven't played it myself, but I have a co-worker who does. He enjoys both, but I THINK he said WoW has more options, "customizing" in terms of armor and weapons, etc.

19. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    I've never played WOW, so I can't compare. But LOTRO is very enjoyable on its own terms, in my opinion, with a huge world to explore and plenty to do.