Lord of the Rings appreciation topic

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Dr Kain, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I just spent yesterday and today watching the EE to all three Lord of the Rings movies. They get better every time I watch them, and now I am ready for The Hobbit!!!! This is by far the greatest movie trilogy ever!!

2. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My wife and I watched them all again with a couple of very good friends on 12/31/11, leading in to the new year.

Fairly certain we have a new tradition. They are film making and story telling at their finest IMO.

3. Dr Kain

Oh yeah. In fact, now that I am going to have summers off every year (unless I get hired at a year round school) I plan to watch these movies ever summer.

4. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Read the books. You'll realize the movies, while well done, are like Lord of the Rings lite.

You miss so much from not reading the books.

PS: the Hobbit should be read first as it comes first...

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I struggled to get thru the books. Don't have a long enough attention span to sit thru the movies.

6. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, wow, I was just thinking about this.
    The Hobbit, then LOTR were my first books after learning to read past "See Spot Run". I had to re-read them several times as my comprehension got stronger. FatalT's right, there's alot left out, but that's kind of to be expected in a movie adaptation. Otherwise, these films would be 6 hours long apiece. I wouldn't mind, but the regular movie-goer wouldn't. As it is, they covered the most important parts, and I'm satisfied with what we got, esp. the extended versions.
    Really looking forward to "The Hobbit".

7. Dr Kain

The only thing I was disappointed that was missing from the movies was the industrialized Hobbiton. However, people were already whining about how long the movie took to end, so imagine people's complaints had they kept that in there. In the end though, no one is ever going to be able to top these movies, so no one should ever try to adapt them again.

8. Darktide

Darktide Banned

Really good movies, I have the Extended ones. I'm trying to get my Misses into LOTR but she wants to read all the books before watching the Movies.

9. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Easily my favorite movie trilogy. There is a theater close to my home that does a EE marathon every year. I don't have the endurance to sit in a theater that long, but my wife has been going every year for five or six years now.

I'm so excited for The Hobbit I can almost taste it. The Hobbit has been my favorite and most re-read novel since I first read it in 7th grade.

10. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the LOTR movies (I'd say it's my favorite movie trilogy as well) and all the news about the Hobbit from Comic-con makes me want to rewatch them again. I recently re-read (or actually listened to while driving to work) the Hobbit and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen! I hope that it lives up to the LOTR trilogy. I think that it will.

I tried reading LOTR once but really struggled to get into it. I may try again some day.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    They're okay. Too long for my tastes really. Maybe I shouldn't have bought the extended editions. I lose track of who is who and what is going on and the relation of one group to another. Stuff with weird names always foxes me. It's like Bionicle in that respect. I couldn't tell you Toa from T'Pau.

Took me some years but I finally convinced my mother to sit and watch the trilogy with me. She'd been put off with all the hype back when they first came out and had decided they 'look like they'd be boring'. I got her to watch them on the basis they were visually appealing with all the landscapes and costumes. Afterwards she admitted they weren't as bad as she was expecting, but that they were still confusing and kinda plodding at times.
    When the first Lord of the Rings movie came out I decided to buy the books since I'd never read them before. I decided however that I'd only read the books when the third LotR was out and I'd seen all three as I knew the books would have more to them than the movies so they would build on whatever entertainment the movies gave me. I also picked up The Hobbit and that 'The Children of Húrin' one too. However here I am years later and I've still not cracked open any of those books.

I watched one of those Hobbit trailers recently and I wish I could say it looked like it will be entertaining, but I can't.

12. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I did. And you don't. Most changes PJ made were good for the overall plot.

13. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    To me LOTR will always be the greatest trilogy ever filmed.

I wish we had more epic fanrasy movies instead of all these pointless copy pasted alien invasion flicks that keep coming out :( 

14. Dr Kain

Easiest solution is since each movie is divided up onto 2 discs, watch one disc at a time instead of one movie at a time.

For me though, even when I go into that mindset, I still end up wanting to watch the next disc right away due to how much I enjoyed the first disc. However, with each disc, you then have six 90-120 minute movies instead of three 3-4 hour movies.

15. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

I Absolutely LOVE,LOVE The Lord of the Rings trilogy their my Favorite Movies of all time!!! :D 

Earlier this year I re Watched All 3 Extended editions in one day!

Even though I have seen these Movies so many times! they Never get Old,
    they are always as new as the day I first saw them in theater :tongue: 

I Can't Wait for the Hobbit to come out! only 5 more Months to go! :D 

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That's what I did the second time I saw them. Didn't really make them feel any less long though - just spread them over an even longer time.