Customs: loosening balljoints?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rotorstorm, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Strange request I know since everyone seems to want to tighten them.

I'm in the process of a custom and have donated a head from a junker classics astrotrain for it including the base with the balljoint, having sawn off, sanded and glued down the balljoint I am now having trouble with the socket in the head being far too tight and detatching the base from the body when trying to move the head.

In short, can anyone recommend a way of loosening a balljoint?

2. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Is there much of a size difference? A light sanding would make it looser, but check every couple of strokes to make sure you,ve not gone too far. Have you any extra joints you could swap it for instead?

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Alternatively, if you have a rotary tool and a spherical burr, you should be able to widen the socket; again, though, you'd have to be incredibly careful to make sure you didn't go too far. Sanding would probably be the easier and safer choice, but it's good to have other options available.

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I've done what Ramrider mentioned. I simply used that Dremel bit on the lowest setting and carefully widened the hole. You can also wrap a thin sheet of fine grit sandpaper (I've used the small Testors sheets) to wrap around the actual ball joint and lightly sand the ball down a bit. Either way you go, it's something you need to do carefully, otherwise, you'll end up needing to tighten it instead.

Good luck!

5. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just shaved a bit of plastic off the socket, that seemed to do the trick, still got the friction.

There shouldn't have been that problame though which is part of the reason astrotrain became a junker, the balljoint in question was the one the head was originally mounted to.