Loose knee flap on Black Optimus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Gen. Hospital, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Gen. Hospital

Gen. Hospital Well-Known Member

Black Optimus! Yay! :D 

But...

On his left knee, the flap is really loose, like it barely stays up at all. I think they noticed at the factory, 'cause the head of the screw in that knee is stripped out nearly completely. I'm wondering if there are any screws behind the black flap on the inside of the leg? If someone could confirm/deny, that would be super.

[​IMG]

Erm, yes, that's a camera bag in the background. With a DSLR in it. I still chose to snap this pic with my iphone :eek: 

Attached Files:

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you trying to disassemble the leg so you can try to strengthen the flap joint?

I have a junker Prime at home I could check after work. In the mean time, you could try this to get that stripped screw out.

3. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Good tip. I do that around the house all the time.

I've also used super glue on some super small screws before. If put a small drop of super glue on the top of the screw and then stick your screw driver in it you should be able to unscrew it. Once it's out you can just break the screw off the screw driver (the glue will just snap in half).

4. Gen. Hospital

Thanks for the tips guys :) 

Yeah, I was thinking I could open the leg up and see what's going on in there, at least.

But if there's a screw (or several) behind that inside leg flap, I'm still screwed (haha), 'cause that thing is pinned on, and as far as I can see, there's no way to remove it.

5. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Looks like your screwed.....

j/k, seriously that sucks though

6. Gen. Hospital

Hehe, yep.

It is a little annoying, but that darned flap does stay in place, though just barely. I'm not gonna send him back, probably.

I do feel I've gotten my fill of QC issues, considering I've got 6 MP's, and the only one without any issues is Megatron.

7. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Without question send him back, I had to return MP Black Convoy 3 times before i got one without a floppy windshield, paint chips or chrome wear ON A BRAND NEW TOY, wtf? When you spend major coin on anything, not just toys, QC like that is unexceptable. Hope the one you get as replacment is better.

8. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I'm finished with my examination. In summary, do not attempt to disassemble the leg.

To get to the lower leg, you have to disassemble the thigh beneath the swivle. To do so requires that you remove 3 screws; two are easily accessibly while the third is tucked behind the wheel joint, making it close to if not impossible to reach with even a small conventional screwdriver.

Once you manage to free the lower leg, you'll see three visible screws around the ankle. However, there is a fourth screw behind the springy blue panel with flames printed on. This springy panel is held on with a pin that runs perpendicularly to and just below the knee flap pin. Unless you remove this pin, you can't get to the fourth screw and you won't be able to open the lower leg.

My junker Prime is just a little more junker now, but what was done was done in the name of science!

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Check the feedback thread, almost everyone had the same problem, including myself. The superglue trick works just fine.

10. Gen. Hospital

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was afraid of.

Thanks for your dedication to science. :) 

11. Gen. Hospital

Hehe.

Soooooooo... I sent an email to Amazon Japan; since their returns-system only works for in-Japan addresses.
    They will indeed exchange my figure for a new one.

Even offered reimburse any import tax, provided i fax them the receipt after I receive the replacement.

:D