Loose Joints: Problems with Krazyglue

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Quantum_Penguin, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

I recently bought the Movie Screen Battles Barricade, and right out of the box his ankle joints were too loose just to hold him up standing straight.

I pulled out my crazy glue pen and put some on the ball joint, then went through the usual procedure of working it while it gummed up. This seemed to work for the left ankle, which has been strong for about a month, but it didn't work on the right, which flops in the vertical direction unless I push it down really hard so it locks in one position. What's weird is that despite this, it seems so tight when I rotate it horizontally that it forces itself off the ball.

My Wreckage developed similar problems with his hip joints and shoulders so that they flopped around just by moving the figure and he couldn't hold a stance. I krazy glued them all in exactly the same way but only the shoulders seem to have held while the hips eventually wear down and flop around again. And they do this within minutes of the application. No matter how many times I apply it, just a few twists and they're loose as if I hadn't done anything.

I've done the same thing to Longarm's shoulders and he doesn't seem to have a problem, so I'm at a loss to explain why this would affect Wreckage and Barricade only, and then only certain joints on them.

So, my questions are:
    1.) Has anyone else experienced this?
    2.) Is there some finer point of supergluing that I'm missing?
    3.) Am I using the wrong type of glue (it's Elmer's Instant Krazy Glue Pen)?
    4.) Do I have to remove all the glue with acetone based nail-polish remover each time I want to reapply?
    5.) How long does it usually last?
    6.) Would it be better to just buy whole new figures and hope for the best?

2. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i haven't run into this on transformers, but i don't do this too often either. sometimes the joint is jsut too loose for crazyglue to work. theres to much space to fill and if the glue is to thick its seems to get scraped off easier. ive had some success with shoving paper into ball joints to tighten the gap. i don't have a barricade around here though so i'm not sure if this will work.

3. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

Thanks! I tried the paper on Wreckages hips and I have my ninja bot back!

Folded a little square of computer paper in half then lined the bottom of the socket with it and it holds fine.

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i use clear nail polish and have never had a problem...not sure about glue though...maybe it just gets too brittle?

5. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Ditto. Clear nail polish hasn't failed me yet for tightening up loose joints.