Loose Joints and Clear Nail Polish

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by crazyjeffy, Jun 5, 2012.

1. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

As the title implies, i've been slappin' on some clear nail polish on any loose ball joints I get (mainly Gen. Red Alert and PRID Megs) but my question is:

Will the nail polish eventually wear down and need reapplication? Is it bad to move the joint continuously after that? Are there any better ways to fix such a problem?

Apologies if there's already a thread for this. I didn't go to Radicons because I don't think it counts as customization, and I didn't see a maintenance/repair thread anywhere. There's one on seibertron but it's only posted on once in a blue moon.

2. Matt Booker

Matt Booker Fantasy Adventure Author

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My preference is Pledge floor polish with 'future shine'.

I think there's some Radicons threads about it, but one of the reasons I prefer it is that you just dab some in the joint, work it around, and let it sit for a few hours to a day. No need to take the joint apart, no frosting or squeaky joints like superglue sometimes does, and it works on things like hinge joints.

[​IMG]

~Matt Booker

3. aurascope

aurascope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    'future shine' seconded,

you could also try one of those self-levelling liquids that is used for removing (covering) scratches. they are sold in a pen-applicator in hardware stores, it's pretty much the same as future shine, just less hassle to deal with.

4. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    So, whether it be ball or hinge joints, you just dab it on part of the joint?

Also, awesome picture :lol 

5. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I've always found nail polish to wear off quickly, so I use the tiniest bit of crazy glue. What I like about that is not only will it stick better than nail polish, it also changes the texture of the plastic so that it'll always have the texture it needs to have friction. This scares some people but it's never bothered me. I can't see where the glue is on those joints anyway, and I'm not so OCD that I look at it and "know it's there" and let that bother me. :) 

Warning though: you have to move the joint around while it's drying. Give a few seconds, then move, few more, move, a minute, move, etc. It's kind of like joint rehabilitation. If you don't focus, you'll end up with a frozen joint! :) 

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Future Floor Finish ftw.

7. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

At what retailer would I get Future Floor Finish, how big are the containers of it (can or jar or whatever) and how much would it cost?

8. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
  9. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

Oh my is that large lol. Thanks a bunch guys :) 

10. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For some reason I've only been able to find the Plegde with Future at Kmart for like 7 bucks. It's basically a lifetime supply if you're not a customizer. I've had really good success tightening up ball joints with just clear nail polish though. It dries faster and lasts pretty long if you aren't constantly playing with the toy. I've also had good luck on other types of joints as well. Future has a ton more practical uses though if you plan on doing more than just tightening.

11. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Quick question: Before I open it up, would "Pledge Tile and Vinyl Floor Finish with Future Shine (Clean Scent)" work, or does it have to be just "Floor Finish with Future Shine"?

12. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

That's the same stuff, so it should still work. Be sure to give about a day before messing with the treated joint again, and it may require more than one application to get the desired affect, depending on just how bad it was before being treated.

13. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Beast

I've only used super glue to tighten up joints, everything from G1 Shockwave's leg, to SG Rodimus's hips, and it always works without fail

14. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Matt Booker Says Future, DONT question it.

I was turned on to Future by a veteran TFW'er, Im so sorry I keep forgetting your name but I try to give you all the credit for showing me.

I used to use glue..nail polish...all that shit. piss on it.

Ill tell how it works, I got my future right next to my desk. I take a q-tip, dap in some future in ANY joint, work it around, and let it sit. I have not been let down once.

I even take the time to post this in the 20 or so threads that pop up a week about it. I should just make a txt doc and copy n paste it I guess.

My experience, so take it for what it is.
    Super Glue- Kinda risky, I had one joint glue and freeze itself, and eventually it cracks away. Some super glue will FOG clear plastic..just the VAPORS will...so dont do it.

Nail polish- Coat the ball joint, let it dry, after that pop the ball joint back on and watch your nail polish crumble as you do it.

Future. Never been let down. Just drip in some to the joint. work it around. Let it sit.

15. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Surprisingly,Nail Polish works wonder for loose joint which i am still applying to all my loose figures.

16. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    I just tried the floor polish trick with my FE Starscream, and his joints are noticeably tighter. It works wonderfully!

17. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Clear nail polish has always worked fine for me. I have never had it crumble/break.

18. Matt Booker

Matt Booker Fantasy Adventure Author

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks. :) 

I didn't use it for years, even though I'd heard about it before. But once I tried it, it worked great!

And the best part is how easy it is.

~Matt Booker