Loose G1 Seeker cockpit/head assembly

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Allsparky, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Hey all. Is there any way to fix the loose flippy-floppity action on the g1 seekers? Bought an old seeker not too long ago and if you don't leave the nosecone pointing straight up in the air in robot mode then the cockpit swings out and puts the head at an upward looking angle. I tried looking down in the holes on it's sides and it looks like there may have been a screw head at one point. I never owned any of the jets as a kid but was this an issue when they first came out or just something that comes with age? Thanks for any tips/info.

2. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

It happens with age on the vintage figures, and on the re-issues, they are like that sometimes right out of box. To fix that same issue on some of my seekers, I've taken clear nail polish and placed some of it on the hinge where if you take the figure apart, there is a little metal rod that holds the hinge together. You dont need to take the figure apart to use the nail polish. Try and work the nail polish into the hinge by rotating the head/cockpit hinge a few times while the nail polish is in place. Take a q-tip to wipe iff the excess, and once you feel like its worked through enough, let dry. You should notice a difference right away, but still let it dry. Ive done this with most of my seekers, some having been completely taken apat for custom action, restoration, or a thorough cleaning. You dont/wont need to take yours apart to address the floppy issue though. Hope that helps. :) 

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  3. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

The simplest solution to this problem is to store the landing gear inside the cockpit. That shifts the center of gravity of the entire section and straightens it right out. :) 

4. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have done this another way. If you look at this joint unlike a lot of others of was never intended to create friction around the pin but rather on each side of the head assembly where it rubs against the diecast. When you take the pin out, actually bend the diecast together so it is left slightly bowed in. When you put the head assembly back in it will push it back square bit will now be snug. A couple notes, there is np stress marks on the plastic or diecast as I have done about a down of these with no wvidence, besides you don't bend it very far. Also, when you pound the pin back tight it can push the diecast back apart(which is why I think some new come loose) so hold the sides together as you pound the pin in. I just lay it on a micro fiber cloth on its side while I pound the pin back in. The result is a nice snug joint with no polish or material needed to create friction and its left how I believe it was intended.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ken (co-founder of Radicons) from the now defunct Transrepro.com used to have a replacement kit to fix the problem.

6. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I remember Ken and transrepro rather dearly and that washer kit is the first thing i thougt of when i saw this thread. That was an amazing site, too bad it is no more. I didn't know he was a co-founder of the radicons, that is pretty interesting.

7. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Wow, that's great stuff guys! Thank you all very much. Went with T-Logicon's "clear nail polish" tip, only I fear I may have applied too much as it is now held in place like it was super glued! Lol! Anyway, previously I tried the landing gear in the cockpit trick but as this thing was super loose it just didn't quite do the job. Heck I even contemplated placing a small lead weight like what I used to have on my fishin' rods in the cockpit. Oh well, it's where it should be now so thanks once again.