Loose G1 Jetfire shoulder

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BigRC83, Sep 22, 2012.

1. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    My G1 Jetfire's shoulder is a bit loose compared to his other shoulder. In detail, his left shoulder sticks out more and it is very loose. Does anybody else have this issue? Is it an easy fix? :) 

2. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine does that too.... Im afraid to take it apart...dont want to break anything...

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    My G1 Jetfire had a loose shoulder once that sounds exactly like what you describe. I remember opening it up and it being just a simple case of tightening a screw to fix it. However, putting the shoulder back in place after was a complete pain in the arse. I wish I could remember the details why that was, but I do know I fought with it for a good half an hour before it all was screwed in securely again. I think it was because I had to screw the shoulder into place at an angle through a gap or something without everything popping out again.
    Take the shoulder apart if you like, but just be very aware of what's in there and how it was assembled. I vaguely remember there being a spring in there for the ratchet action of the joint, so don't let that ping off into the distance when you unscrew it.

EDIT: Just had a look at some photos online and I think the screw you can just see inside his shoulder through that gap is the one you need to tighten. You might actually be able to do it without opening his shoulder at all, which would mean far less chance of accidentally losing a spring. I probably had more difficulties because I opened the shoulder to locate the problem when perhaps I didn't need to have done. Try getting to that inner screw without opening up the shoulder. That should also mean you won't have to damage any of the rear shoulder stickers to get at the outer screws to open the shoulder casing up.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toys/g1-1985/jetfire/453/1/88/

Hope something out of all my waffling helps. Good luck. :) 

4. sh002

sh002 Banned

you have to take the two pieces of the shoulder apart with and tighten the large screw inside that goes over the spring. then put the shoulder pieces back together.

5. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I've just said above that you should be able to tighten the inner screw without taking the shoulder apart. Tightening the inner screw and then trying to screw the shoulder halves back together is a real pain in the arse, particularly because if you tighten the inner screw too much the shoulder halves won't fit back on as easily, and if you tighten it too loose then you close everything up and you're possibly still left with a slightly loose shoulder.
    It can be difficult to tighten the inner screw without taking the shoulder casing apart, but doing it like that I feel in the end you'll be left with a better fitting shoulder. Also, no sticker damage from trying to get out the outer screws to undo the shoulder casing.

If I ever have to tighten a loose G1 Jetfire shoulder again I'll be just doing it through the gap without opening anything.

It's the OP's choice though. Both ways will work in the end.

6. sh002

sh002 Banned

i've taken apart jetfire before. that picture is from an angle looking upward. a screwdriver will not fit well and you'll probably end up grinding the shoulder pieces. i think you are better off carefully removing the back sticker of the shoulder, taking out the screws, and removing the shoulder pieces. then tightening the screw with larger ring inside with one shoulder piece still attached.

7. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I know that photo is at an angle. A screwdriver will fit because that's how I tightened the shoulder on mine, and I didn't grind anything.
    But I'm not pressuring anyone to do anything one way or another. If the OP wants to take the shoulder apart to tighten the inner screw then that's fine. Just offering what I feel is an alternative that will give a better result with regards to the loose shoulder.

8. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Thanx to everybody who replied. I took Gingerchris' advice and it worked. :) 

9. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When mine gets loose I just rotate the arm completely a few times and it tightens it up.