Looks like I won't renew my gym membership

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Predaking, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am thinking about working out at home and save some money. I'd like to know if there's anything out there that can help me bulk up some and adding a six pack (my ultimate goal). I see a lot of products on TV that promises this and that and I don't know which one is legit. I don't have a lot of space at home so things like Bow-Flex is out of the question.

Also, I want to do sit ups but found that my tail-bone always get in the way and it hurts when I try to go all the way up, any way to alleviate the pain?

How good is that "Perfect Push Up" where you have a handle that rotates so you can do easier push ups, and the one that you can mount on the door and helps you do chin ups.

Lastly I want to start doing daily jogs. Is getting a good running shoes a must?

2. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

If you get anything, get the iron gym. Its a home pull-up system.

I was thinking of getting some home equipment too.

My plan is to get adjustable dumbbells (90 pound each), an adjustable bench, and a barbell with a range of plates. That's pretty much all Ill need.

3. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Google Cross Fit. That is really intense and you can get some great results. I am going to switch from circuit training to cross fit here shortly. You may also want to look at doing a lot of interval training as well. I would also suggest, if space allows, to get a heavy bag. Hang it up and it is a great workout.

4. Predaking

I am looking into the Bow-Flex adjustable dumbells where you can adjust the weight by moving the dial or something like that. It'll save lots of room and I can get the dumbells I want. Problem is getting a bench that can help me use those 'bells.

5. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:

If you're looking to work out at home, Check out Tony Horton's P90, P90X and P90X plus workout videos. Rhansen suggested them to me, and I'll be damned, they really do work.

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Any "gadget" you buy will be stuck in the back of a closet a year from now. If anything buy some weights. They aren't gimmicky, or difficult to use.

Do you get a discount for gym memberships through your health insurance?

7. newguy

newguy i

50 pushups in the morning and 50 at night
    50 squats in the morning and 50 at night
    Start joging
    25 pullups in the moring and at night
    Get in a pushup posesision and have your fingures form a triangle and do a bunch of those
    Those one are great for loosing wieght but aut are slow at gaining muscle
    Lifting wieghts builds you up fast.
    At the biging of the summer my friend was pretty weak, but now its really hard to take him down.

8. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Good ol' fashion sit ups. Just lift your shoulder blades slightly off the ground instead of going all they way up. Then do leg ups for the lower abs. Not too many at first or you will have terrible back pain for a while.

9. gil

gil Godmaster

If you want a six pack, your diet will play a big role.

And I've been reading that a full sit up is not that great. You should be doing crunches. It should save your tail bone and do more for your abs at the same time.

I can't help you on home gyms, I have no room for them myself.

Running shoes: It's hard to say. With shoes going for $100+, it's hard to compare shoes. I wish we could "test drive" some shoes before buying it. I bought a pair that felt great walking around Foot Locker, but hated it on my runs. I got me some Nike Air Pegasus shoes earlier in the year and I like them very much.

Anyway, good luck on your health goals. I'm planning on training for next years Honolulu Marathon in December. I did this years Marathon a week ago without any training at all. Acutally, I ran for a month in Febuary, followed by 10 months of nothing. I completed it, but with an embarrassing time. I got one year to fix that.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't know anyone who has home exercise equipment who actually uses it, but I see scores of people who actually go to the gym every time I go.

My advice to you would be to renew.

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    you can do all sorts of things but it is impossible for ous to tell you to do anything if you then eat BK or McDonalds twice a week.

60% is your food habits.

if you want abs then you can do the following.

Take a early fast morning walk for about 1 hour and onlydrink a cup of coffee before you go as coffee pushes the fat burning on.

eat at REGULER hours= sam time every day. this is a hugh problem these days for ppl with complexed workours.

eat food with low fat, chicken, turkey, beef if you want meat.

dont overeat but eat small portions during the day.

Eat your fruit and vegetebles.

stay way from alchohol as this ruins so much it takes alot of time to get back.

no junk food.

Train the whole body

Start to run a few times a week.

Have fun.

12. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Make sure you have good running shoes if you are running. If not you can get shin splints.

13. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i find these very uncomfortable due to its size...

14. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

keep in mind that attaining a six pack is more about having a low body fat %(less than 10% or so) than anything else I would say prioritize attaining the six pack then decide if you want to focus on putting a lot more muscle mass on
    I would skip the gimmicky devices. If bow flex is out of the question than I would stick to vigorous calisthenics as in with weights
    I hear not going up all the way is better for ab development anyway

15. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

this.. tony horton is intense but id start with regular p90 then after you complete that, then go to p90x

16. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah Horton and the p90 series are really hard core. You have gotten a lot of advice on here that will work, dependent on your level of dedication.

I do have to say that, as was alluded to earlier, the best way to stay committed is to join a gym. Socialization and building a routine that revolves around you getting out of the house will help tremendously.

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am diabetic, so i have to do things carefully.
    but i lost 30 pounds in a month just by doing a little weight training.
    i walked at a 4mph pace wearing an old backpack with weights 6 days a week. I would walk 4 miles in an hour each day. fast and effective.
    started out with a 5 pound weight and gradually worked my way up to 30 pounds in it.

5 days a week of 30-45 minutes of crunches. didn't count reps or anything, just turned on the music and did them at a steady pace.

i totally eradicated oil/grease. tuna, shrimp, fruit bowls and simple salads. bread was hard to eliminate but i cut down to veggie subs and whole wheat and PB.
    oh, i only ate 2 meals and three snacks (couple oranges, an apple, stuff like that) per day.

man, i felt good.

as for shoes, take a day and spend serious time at a shoe store- you need to get a great pair of shoes. I don't run, but for the walking i did, i had to have a great pair. Best 75 dollars I spent was on a pair of Reeboks that felt like i was walking on plush carpet.

I need to work out on my upper body, but i lack heavy weights or access to a gym.

for serious workouts, i think you should renew, imo.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    if no ones made the suggestion, sits ups on a cushion might help with your tailbone.

19. Predaking

I don't like gym that much anymore because, with a baby at home it's tough to make time for the hour or so you'll be working out. My son doesn't like the day care they have at the gym so either me or my wife have to look after him while the other one is working out. I also think it's much too crowded at the weight room if you go after dinner but it's usually the only time I have. In the end I think the money I saved from not renewing my membership can get me the workout gears I can use for years and years.

Thanks for all your inputs you've been very helpful and I hope I can decide on how to reach my goals soon so I can implement them after Jan 1st.

20. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Now everybody raise your hand if you are in here giving advice, and coincidentally, you are overweight.