looks like harry potter beat DOTM this weekend-

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by trex5000, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    You are the one who made assertions and thus must back them up. It is impossible to prove or disprove something for which there is no evidence. And lol Fanboy...I haven't even seen this latest HP movie once yet, but keep raging Baybie it's entertaining.

2. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:

You know what. Lots of fans are fans of something else as well.

Potter and the 'dark/fantasy romance' (thats the classification we use for stuff like twilight, true blood, vampire diaries etc..in the book trade) are targeted at completely different demographics. Potter is very light on romance, and is far more action orientated. very little moody brooding.

I think you're lumping a lot of popular things together simply because the have a fantasy basis and you don't like them. I'm not sure how much you really know about those franchises to actively criticise them in the way you do. Not saying you have to like them, but just... why care so much?

3. thefinaldoom

thefinaldoom Well-Known Member

Considering tickets were sold out almost everywhere in the U.S., it really didn't surprise me.

4. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Not surprised at all.

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HP is the final film in a very popular franchise, not surprising since it took about 10 or 11 years to get to it too. I think some people are being a little too generous in their ratings, but overall it is the better film and deserves the attention it is getting.

6. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    I really don't get the need to bash Potter simply because it grossed more money this weekend. It's not at all surprising, given the popularity of the series and this is the last one in the movie series. Unless they're opening on the same weekend, they don't hurt each other. Dark of the Moon made a ton of money, so did Potter. It's not as if Hasbro or Paramount are going to cancel their future plans for the franchise just because another movie made more money.

7. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Captiain America might take some 3D theatres away from TF3. Potter might have legs or not. Just depends on the word of mouth.

This is what I think will be Box Office next week.

1. HP8 or Cap
    2. Cap or HP8
    3. TF3
    4. Friends with Benefits
    5.Horrible Bosses

For those whore crying about Potter beating The Misadventures of Shia Labeouf, his pretty girlfirend, and the U.S. Military with transforming robots. At least be grateful that your high grossing movie got beaten by a highly respected franchise instead of a romance film starring Channing Tatum like acertain blue cat alien film was.

8. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Ok, knock off the insults and keep the thread on topic, please.

9. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

I love Transformers and the Harry Potter books and films :) 

10. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    finally, someone with a brain.

as for all the people in this argument, here's what i said on page 7 that reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllyyyyyyyyyyy should have ended it:

11. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I don't like Harry Potter, but it's more because of the whole "Choosen One" story that bugs me a lot and the absurd blandness of the main character.

So this is sad news for me.

12. cnic

cnic Decepticon

I saw Hp 7.2 once but I saw DOTM 4 times lol.

13. tpainzbro

tpainzbro Well-Known Member

I saw Harry potter and thought it was very good. I felt they should haw shown some more interaction and deaths of certain characters instead of them just showing them dead. They also could have dove deeper into the action sequences as well instead of just exterior shots and shots of Harry looking around for the Horcruxes. It was good but I wouldn't call it great, they did good with closing the story but the action was jammed in and it missed the opprotunity to bring out the other characters. In conclusion it could have been stretched out to about 2 and half hours.

14. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    I enjoyed both DOTM and DHp2, but I feel that Deathly Hallows is a superior film in terms of plot, acting, filmmaking, and arguably special effects. I'll buy both of them on Blu-Ray and watch them both again and again.

As for the box office... well, no surprise there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  15. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

DOTM still has a very good shot at topping the U.S. Box Office for the year (It never had a shot in the world wide Market). HP in the U.S. typically fall off pretty sharply, or at least faster than TF's movies typically do. Only one HP movie has surpassed what DOTM is currently at. I think it'll be pretty close in the end. But if you look at HP's first Sunday (3rd day overall), it's only $5 million more than TF's first Sunday (which was it's 5th day overall). After the first 2 days, it's fallen back down to normal levels for a major film.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I kind of see it as a good thing.

If Transformers doesn't have the top box office of the summer then maybe people will drop the crazy argument that somehow box office equals quality.

If Potter beats out Transformers then perhaps when they are planning out future Transformers films there will be more of an attempt to get the audience they have been missing out on with the current formula. They might say Transformers made money but with some improvements we could be making even more money.

Potter mania should also kill the argument that hype and marketing have nothing to do with the box office for a film.

Ah, and the fun of watching a small handful of fans rage just because another film found a way to appeal to more people than the film they like.

17. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does anyone have a decent website for comparing box office figures? I hate having to slog through Wikipedia every time to find them.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Have you tried Box Office Mojo

Loads of information broken down into tabs so you could compare things like daily numbers, weekly numbers, or any other assortment of box office numbers you might be interested in.

19. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cheers man, I hadn't seen that site before. :thumb 

20. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Potter has a completely different audience. Teenagers always fill cinemas to overflowing in the early days. Let's see what happens later. I think that the conscious person over 14 will simply be ashamed to tell his neighbor something like, "Oh, yesterday I went to watch Harry Potter!"