looks like harry potter beat DOTM this weekend-

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by trex5000, Jul 18, 2011.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    happened the last time too; Transformers continues to be the underdog among main stream media..

2. al91176

al91176 Decepticon

I'm not surprised at all. They have a lot of rabid HP fans in the world.

3. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Yeah, but Peter Cullen doesn't voice Eeyore, which sucks a bit, also, Winnie came out agggges ago in April here in the UK. Why such a long gap?
    And I have also contributed to HPs earnings, I even left school early to go see it, though the best part was undoubtedly the Dark Knight Rises teaser

4. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shocker!!! :lol 

5. Rumblebee7

Rumblebee7 Cassete Player

Harry Potter is more of a family friendly movie and also considering its the last movie of the series , also after ROTF i wouldn't be surprised some people would choose HP over DOTM

6. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Well, of course DOTM got beat. Anyone who would have thought otherwise clearly did not know how the world works.

Besides, the key point here is that the Harry Potter films are immensely superior to the Transformers films in nearly every way (Transformers' special effects debatably win out). They have better plot, better acting, and a much better background, being based on a famous book series instead of a toyline.

Plus, Deathly Hallows didn't make me sit in a seat for nearly three hours trying to hold my pee.

7. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never expected DotM to surpass HP in domestic or worldwide tallies. Though, it would be nice, I won't hold my breath. I don't understand the big draw of HP, however. I just can't see HP action as entertaining (Wand waving illumination and energy balls, vs clanging metal and energy gun blasts), and the story just doesn't click with me. I watch only during dvd release, and certainly not day one of release. Might even wait for Netflix online streaming (even if it will be a year or more wait).

8. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    He's super butthurt that HP is loved a lot more by both the cricits and public and has earned more money than his precious DOTM and is now on a crusade trying to prove that HP is somehow shit franchise so he can feel better.

None of his posts have point really, it's all just a buch of rambling about critics being shit and King's Speech being boring and how every movie needs at least 3 explosions and a car chase to be even considered good.

9. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:
    ehh dark of the moon was alot better then HP 7 pt2 thast all i have to say but HP has a wider audience so this isnt suprising at all! exp seeing as how they have IMAX open week one as well and DOTM didnt

10. Wadeledge

Wadeledge Wrecker

Well...duh?

I love them both but if any Transformers fans thought that DOTM was going to beat HP in the box office this summer they're delusional.

11. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Actually, it has more to do with the fact that the fans for this movie franchise are rabid. This series has been going on for a decade. The fandom is huge all around the world.

12. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, with Harry Puto released that was expected. I've never liked Harry P. stuff, just don't get it. My ex-wife loves that stuff..

13. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's also one continuity, whereas Transformers is greatly divided to those who love only one continuity (Mostly G1, from what I've seen and heard) to those who love all things Transformers.

14. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    My sister is a huge HP fan and I would take her to the movies when she was younger (she HATES Twilight, btw, but her best friend loves it so she sees the movies with her). She says the first two and last two movies are very good, but four in the middle are bad.

Now I take my gf who is also a big HP fan (who also hates Twightlight, FWIW). She pretty much has the same opinion of the movies (we'll see the latest one this week at some point).

Anyway, as a non-fan who hasn't read any of the books, I find the movies enjoyable, but not really all that memorable.

15. Wadeledge

Wadeledge Wrecker

On to the topic at hand.

Next weekend will probablly go: 1)Cap. America 2)HP7.5 3)DOTM

16. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Eh. this does not surprise me. DOTM was a good movie, and even though i dont care much for Potter, im pretty sure his fans loved his movie.

As far as the arguments in this thread go, people will love a specific franchise and will defend it, no matter what. This renders everyone arguing with the one person just useless and soon this will become a troll battle on which movie is better. The only way to end that is to just respect the audience each movie brings in. just because i like Transformers and not Potter, doesnt mean im going to sit here and just insult the potter movie because TF is my favorite movie franchise. Rather, i respect the fact that these are two separate movies with two separate fan types.

17. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    No, but I find it ironic since:
    A) He was the one who started bashing DH P2 here. Most posts before that were "This is to be expected".

B) He continues the discussion instead of saying "You know what? We have opinions. There is no point trying to argue mine".

C) He pointed this out in response that was trying to get this thread back on topic.

So yeah, I have nothing else to add. "You know what? We have opinions. There is no point trying to argue mine" describes how I feel about this now. So I'm going to leave this discussion and hope it gets back on track. :) 

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    This was very apparant.

I'm scared Captain America won't win the box office this weekend.

19. WarDrums

WarDrums Well-Known Member

It will. Count on it. Potter has already burnt through most of its demand.

20. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

Harry Potter was never about the action, but about the characters. You'd be amazed what well drawn out characters people have grown to love over 10 years can do for the box office of a film.