Looking to Start Into IDW TF Comics

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Girl Pants, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Hey all,

I'm considering starting into the IDW-verse and don't really know where to begin. There are many, many mini-series, plus the spotlights, so it's a bit hard for me to piece together. Is there a good guide? Do they follow a numbering system even though they change series (like from Devastation to AHM?)

Thanks.

2. sacha88

sacha88 Well-Known Member

Starting next month its relaunching into two brand new series beginning with number 1 issues. Robots in Disguise, and More than Meets the Eyes are the two TF series starting up. So if you like you can just start in on the ground floor with those two books next month. The most recent Ongoing was okay, but I wouldn't say its worth the trouble of going back and catching up. Last Stand of the Wreckers is an awesome mini that you can read on its own. Good luck.

3. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I have been thinking of doing this as well, so this thread will benefit the both of us.

4. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Ive done the same thing myself. The first one i got was Last stand of the wrecckers and then i decided to go back to the start with Infiltration/Escalation/Devastation. I also got All hail megatron hardcover for $65 (usually about $105 in australia) and at the moment i am waiting for revelations.

5. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think most people see LSotW and want in. I don't expect the rest of IDW to be as good though.

Anyway, I guess In/Esc/Dev is the place to start. I guess I'll look at the release dates and read the spotlights from the same era too.

6. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I got into IDW Transformers. In fact, the entire AHM series got collected and released as the IDW collection volume 5. You might want to look into getting that whenever you can.

7. bumblebee-prime

bumblebee-prime Elite Guard

i have bought all of the ongoing issues individual, but you can get the trade-paper-backs of this series. i think there are 3 right now, there is also the mini stories like bumblebee, ironhide, & drift, which are about 4 issues each that can tie into the bigger story arcs.

8. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    ^This. IDW has done those unfamiliar a favor by releasing all of their issues in convenient, hardbound volumes that collect all of the stories in order of release. Start at 1, and go until 5. None of them yet include the atrocious current ongoing, so you're pretty safe.

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Start reading idw with Last stand of the wreckers.

Stop reading Idw.

:lol 

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As others have said, I'd go for the "IDW Collections" hardback editions (v1-3 being reprinted soon). There are five volumes to date, with v6 coming in May 2012.

If you're more of a TPB/single issues man, below is a list of the various series released and my preference reading order (note - I tend to do things by PUBLISHED order, rather than chronological e.g. "Infiltration" is a much better first read than Megatron: Origin).

However, I'd also recommend picking up issue #1 of the two new ongoing series - Robots In Disguise and More Than Meets The Eye - coming in January. Both are a relaunch (while still part of the existing continuity).

IDW (G1):

Infiltration
    Stormbringer
    Spotlight v1
    Escalation
    Spotlight v2
    Devastation
    Megatron: Origin (set in the past, so can be read anywhere really)
    Spotlight v3
    Spotlight Revelations (v4)
    Maximum Dinobots
    All Hail Megatron v1
    All Hail Megatron v2
    All Hail Megatron v3
    All Hail Megatron v4
    Last Stand of the Wreckers
    Ongoing v1: For All Mankind
    Bumblebee
    Drift
    Ongoing v2: International Incident
    Ironhide
    Ongoing v3: Revenge of the Decepticons
    Ongoing v4: Heart of Darkness
    Ongoing v5: Chaos Theory
    Ongoing v6: Police Action (Not Yet Released)
    Ongoing v7: Chaos (Not Yet Released)

No doubt I've missed something and somebody will come and correct the list!

New Avengers/Transformers crossover was originally planned to be in continuity, but its pretty clearly not, so ignore it, or view it as an "elseworlds"/alt. universe type story.

11. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Start with "Infiltration" and "Escalation". Two of the best TF story arcs ever IMO, and they know how to use the humans properly.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

The problem I have with IDW (or any of the 'modern' comics for that matter) is that each issue seems to have about 18 different covers, so when you are trying to find a particular issue or part of a story on eBay or in a bargain bin at a convention, for example, I have no idea what I am looking at. It could be the same thing 18 times or 18 different issues. I miss the G1 Marvel stuff back in the 80s where it was either UK or US and everything was clearly numbered on the front.

13. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Only buy the TPB like i do and all of them (bar infiltration) have cover galleries

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This is all you need if you want to be up to date and ready to jump into the two new titles starting next year. It's what I did. I enjoyed a lot of it, but there were several parts where I couldn't help but scratch my head.

15. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, get the hard cover IDW collections. It's the cheapest, easiest way to go.

16. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also if you don't mind digital releases comixology has all of idw's issues available on their website comics.comixology.com along with their iOS and android apps. The only one missing that I'm aware of is infiltration #0 I know some prefer physical copies but this is by far the easiest way to obtain all the issues legitimately as they are all in one place, most issues are $1.99 with newer releases being priced at $3.99 due to being same day as print