Customs: Looking to mess around with WSTs and Legends of Cybertron...any tips?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Hey guys. I'm planning to do some customs with the box of WST Wave 2 guys I bought. Also, I want to do some Legends of Cybertron customs. Before I start, I was wondering...

1. Has anyone messed around with the WST toys? Does their plastic have the same consistency as most Hasbro plastic? More specifically, could I let the parts soak in Isophrophyl Alcohol OR "Purple Stuff" Cleaner/Degreaser to strip the paint, or would I be turning the parts into goo?

2. I saw that soundwarp had messed around with dying the WST guys. How quickly do they take to the dye? Are you using acetone when you do it or just heating the dye?

2. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Alcohol is safe and plenty effective. Wal-Mart sells higher strengths. Normal 70% Isopropyl will work fine, but if you want faster and more effective, they sell 90% Isopropyl. I like to mix the two, for 80% strength. It's just short of making your eyes burn when you use it, which is good. I got a glass cakepan with oen of those flexible, pop-on lids for transport, which I use for soaking. It keeps the alcohol from evaporating into the air while things soak, with both wastes alcohol and could make for dangerous fume levels. You can reuse the same alcohol a LOT, so this is a big plus. Heck, the stuff is cheap to begin with.

I've not had as much success with dying, but havn;t quit experimenting. A trick I picked up recently, if, wash the parts with earm soapy water to remove oils and dirt, and then scrub them with a stuff fingernail brush and Lava-type soap. The grit soap and brush scuff the plastic nicely so paint sticks well, and gets into all the nooks and grooves in a way sandpaper just can't. And it's a lot easier, faster, and cheaper than sanding. Cleaner, too.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Jarod made me custom WST Dirge and a Ramjet, and they are spot-on, if I was you, I'd PM him for some advice! :) 

As for dying the LOCS, I've only painted on them myself, but I've worked with SW on his dye jobs, and I know he only took a coupla minutes to lay down each dye job...

Andy