Looking to get into Transformers comics. What to start with?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Muck, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Muck

Muck Active Member

I hope I have the right section of the board...

Anyway, I'm hoping to get into the comics that I missed over the past two decades. I've known about the comics for years, but I just never got around to looking for any. However, with the movie coming out recreating my G1 nostalgia and all that, I'd like to start from the beginning if at all possible.

Are there trades of the 'canon' TF stories starting from Issue 1? If so, where can I find 'em? And are they actually worth buying/reading?

2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i would say start with the IDW stuff

great writing, gorgeous art [;) ], and best of all its all in continuity with itself [unlike practically every other TF comic series]

There's a few trades out now

the Infiltration trade [has issues 0-6 of the first story arc. the second story arc just got over a month or so ago so a trade will be coming of that pretty soon]

there's also a trade of the "Stormbringer" mini-series [drawn by Don Fig.] Good stuff

And then there's a trade of whats called "spotlights." These are just single issue stories that revolve around a particular character. i really encourage you to check that out. some awesome nuggets in there

[if you get the main continuity IDW stuff i suggest you read them in that order. Just more fun that way. they're kinda released in that order on purpose as the story unfolds in each series/arc]

But yeah. i think thats it as far as the IDW continuity goes so far. There's the Beast Wars comics. There's a trade out of that.

And there's also trades of the Movie Adaptation [based off the upcoming movie. there's also an adaptation of the old movie but honestly, if you've seen the movie you dont really need it. its got pretty Don Fig. art but thats about all you're buying it for :p ]

And there's a trade of the Movie Prequel comics [which id encourage you to check out since you plan on seein the movie. you wont miss anything if you dont read it but its a fun read none the less. gives some cool backstory]

uh yeah. as far as availability? you can have a local comic shop order them. There's always places like Amazon and Barnes & Noble. eBay too of course. They're all relatively new and pretty easy to come by so yeah.

;) 

3. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

But don't get confused with the Dreamwave stuff. IDW is putting out some of the Dreamwave stuff under their banner. With Dreamwave folding and the likelihood of their stories being continued slim, I don't think you would want to mix yourself too much into their unfinished continuity. Just look out for the trades that IDW is putting out as Generation 1 Vol 1 and Generation 2 Vol 2 and avoid them. The War Within stories though are fairly self-contained are quite a good read. Furthermore you can oogle at Don's TF designs and art, so those are worth your time.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    the matrix quest storyline.

5. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Yeah, matrix quest is good. get the IDW stuff, get the War within trade the one drawn by figueroa.

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Marvel Comics G1
    #59-#80

Dreamwave
    Transformers Vol. #3
    #1 to #6

IDW
    Vol 1 #1 to #6
    Vol 2 #1 to #6
    Spotlights:
    Shockwave
    Hotrod
    Kup
    Ultra Magnus

7. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Just pick up the IDW trades - They're modern, slick and glossy and four volumes will give you the whole story so far (INFILTRATION, ESCALTION, STORMBRINGER and the SPOTLIGHT collection).

Personally I prefer the Marvel run, but tracking it down in it's entirity would cost a bit (even if you restricted yourself to the Titan trades). Make that a long term thing...

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    War with in
    Infilration
    Stormbringer
    escilation