Looking to do a quick view of Beast Wars/Machines - Advice?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Malunis_T, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've watched all of G1 and G2, and want to continue on into the Beast era, RID, Armada, and possibly Energon/Cybertron. But for now, tackling the Beast era.

I'd like to know what episodes are essential to the Beast Wars/Machines series. A first thought would be to just watch the first episode, then the last, but that would be a little TOO simple. Are they any episodes in between I should also check out?

As you can probably tell, I don't want to dwell on the series. In all honesty, I know it's good, but I'm not big on the robot-to-animal concept. That's just my opinion though. I just want to give a quick look at this series because it may or may not be important. I think it was the origin of the term "Spark," at least in TV show continuity.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. :) 

2. AMG

AMG Old School

Beast Wars is a series you can't just skim through. The story develops throughout all three seasons and reaches an awesome grand finale. If you're a fan of G1, you should really watch it all. Beast wars continues the G1 story.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Advice: Watch it all. Best TF show in terms of story, characters, voicing, animation (especially in BM).

4. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Yes, like its been stated, Beast Wars is one continuing series. You pretty much need to watch it all. My advise......watch it all because when you get to some of the later crappy written series you'll be wishing you'd spend more time on the well written one.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Exactly. While there are a few episodes you can skip here and there to the grand scheme of things, the show is incredibly hinged on watching a majority of the episodes, especially past the first season due to shifting political and character dramas.

Also, give the series a chance, I'm willing to bet you by the end of season 2 you'll be hooked and just fine with the beast mode concept.

6. The Asp

The Asp Are we having fun yet?

Beast Wars is simply fun to watch.

From the first episode I actually cared for & liked the characters,and was sad to see some die, not to mention the end of the series.

Then Beast Machines came along and flipped everything on it's head.
    Not for better, or worse, just different.

So basically just watch the whole thing. You won't regret it.

7. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

what they said.

8. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I wouldn't ADVOCATE it, there are certainly some BW eps you could skip that wouldn't leave you missing anything in the grand scheme - but they'd all be from the first season, you genuinely would need to watch pretty much ALL of the second and third, the narrative is so strong (particularly in the second). The same applies to Beast Machines - it's just a 26-episode story from start to finish. Skipping an episode of BM would be like skipping a chapter in a book.

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Any idea if Beast Wars will ever get UK DVD release?

10. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Season 1 the only ones you need to watch are (although I would watch them all):

Beast Wars part 1 & 2
    Fallen Comrades
    Double Jeopardy
    (Maybe victory)
    The Spark
    The Trigger Part 1 & 2
    Spider's Game
    Possession
    Before the Storm
    Other Voices Part 1 & 2

Like it has been said though - I wouldnt skip anything from Season 2 or 3!

11. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    Watch all the episodes of both series man. You won't regret.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Both are almost entirely plot-driven shows. Even minor stuff comes up later. Watch all of BW, then if you feel like you can accept something VERY different, go for BM. The characters are great in BW, with an intricate plot, twists and real drama asnd suspense. BM has the same, but not many people like how the character's personalities adapted and changed to fit the drastically new setting. BW animation is awesome even today, and BM's animation is just incredible regardless.

13. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm just going to parrot what everyone else has said. Beast Wars is a great series that while you COULD skip around in, you would be doing yourself a large disservice by doing so.

14. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a real advantage to sitting and watching groups of episodes at a time, as you're planning to do; it really "gels" the characters and stories. I definitely wouldn't skip any episodes. I can't imagine that I would have enjoyed Beast Machines if I'd watched it week to week, but seeing it all together in a few doses solidified it as a personal favorite.

I'll admit, I had completely written off TFA, having only caught an episode or two here and there... but I recently watched both seasons on DVD over a period of 3-4 days, and my perception of it has been completely changed. It does everything right.

Prepare for a fun ride with BW/BM. :thumb 

15. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    This has got to be my favorite series, so I would normally say watch every episode. But, if your going to skim through it, I would say skip episodes in Season 1. Concentrate on the ones were new characters are introduced. To keep up with the story you gotta go through all of Seasons 2 and 3, but i don't think you'll be disappointed. :) 

16. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

Broadly seconding this, a lot of Season 1 was standalone episodes. It's not until the last three episodes of S1 that you need to watch every episode. The sole exception is Go With the Flow from Season 3, which to be fair is a hastily written fill in for the original Dark Glass episode (look it up on wikipaedia)

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    The one thing BW did wrong (besides not elaborating upon Tarantula's claim that he has different origins from the rest of the Predacon race).

18. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Don't skip any episodes. You'll be robbing yourself of experiencing the best told Transformers stories ever on TV.

That whole dislike of bot-to-beast thing will evaporate shortly, unless you're just the worst kind of geewunner.

19. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, I didn't expect this many responses! Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll start out watching the opening episodes, then if I feel like I can watch all of season 1, I will, if not, I'll watch the picked out episodes given to me. Thanks for setting me straight on its importance. :p 

To clarify, no, I'm not one of the "trukk not munky" fans, but I just really don't care much for animals and dinosaurs. Except maybe kittens. And we all know there's not a Beast series focused on kitten TFs. It'd be weird.

20. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, adding to this, you'd also definitely need to watch "Chain of Command", between BW Pt2 and "Fallen Comrades". And maybe "Dark Designs," between "Victory" and "The Spark," mainly because it'll make some stuff that happens in "Beast Machines" seem a little less odd to you. Those would, all together, be the important ones, but most of the other episodes are very important for forging relationships between characters that "sell" a lot of stuff that happens later, so, yeah, watch it all, you! :)