Looking to Buy a New Digital Camera

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DX7879, May 28, 2012.

1. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I'm looking to buy a new digital camera, and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on any specific camera? The features that I'm looking for are

At least 10x optical zoom
    Able to capture sound well when recording videos
    Under $220, although a little bit over is ok too...
    Can snap pictures quickly
    Good battery life, unless it uses AA batteries or something

I have 2 other digital cameras, and I'm looking to replace them. One of my cameras takes pretty decent pictures, but the zoom on it is only 3x, and the sound capturing for video is awful! My other camera takes slightly better pictures, and has 5x optical zoom, but it may be messed up for doing videos since it seems to automatically stop itself, and it also takes a really long time to turn on and between each picture :/

The camera will be mostly used for going to concerts, and taking pictures at conventions. I have looked at a few of them, and I think my list as of now is pretty much

Nikon COOLPIX S8200
    Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H70
    Samsung WB150F
    Panasonic dmc-zs8
    Canon PowerShot SX230 (although that's a bit over what I want to spend)
    Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V (again more than I want to spend :/)

I like to try out the cameras in stores first, but unfortunately the displays at some of the stores didn't work, so I couldn't test out all the ones I listed, so they are pretty much based on reviews I read online

2. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been taking pictures since I was in the 2nd grade. By brand, my recommendations are:

1. Canon
    1. Nikon (tied with Canon)
    2. Panasonic
    3. Olympus
    4. Fuji
    5. Minolta

Nothing else matters.

Nikon COOLPIX S8200:
    16.1 effective megapixel CMOS sensor for fast capture and superior low light shooting
    14x optical Zoom-NIKKOR ED glass lens, 25-350mm (35mm equivalent) captures action that's both near and far
    3-inch ultra-high resolution (921,000-dot) LCD monitor with Clear Color display and anti-reflection coating
    Full HD (1080p) movie recording with stereo sound and one touch record button, great movies made easy
    Easy Panorama, Night and Backlight/HDR modes, shoot in new creative ways

-My first choice from your list. Only thing to remember is to keep your finger away from the pop-up flash. Otherwise, great camera.

Panasonic dmc-zs8:

The DMC-ZS8 features a powerful 16x optical zoom lens.
    The 16x Optical Zoom Keeps the Subject Sharp While Giving the Background a Soft focus.
    The DMC-ZS8 features a 1/2.33-inch CCD with effective 14.1-megapixel high-resolution.
    Images remain clear and sharp even when they are enlarged to A2 size.
    The Sonic Speed AF system includes numerous re-engineering enhancements, including a higher-speed actuator.

-Not a bad camera, but has low-light issues and no 1080p HD video. Higher Panasonic camera's are a better option.

Canon PowerShot SX230:
    Canon's HS SYSTEM with a 12.1 MP CMOS and DIGIC 4 Image Processor
    Full 1080p HD Video for exceptional quality with stereo sound, plus a dedicated movie button for easy access
    Remember where you were and when your pictures were taken with a GPS tracker that records your location, and a logger
    Powerful 14x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer and a 28mm Wide-Angle lens.
    Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper settings for the camera based on 32 predefined shooting situations
    12.1 effective megapixels, 1/2.3-inch high-sensitivity CMOS; 14x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom

-Great camera but why need a GPS? Also battery life is not so good.

This is just my opinion based on my own experience. Hope it helps. Read reviews on Amazon and Best Buy to give you some ideas.

3. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    Actually, I can share one really great tip I've learned from buying cameras. Take a look around online at places that sell the previous year's models. In a lot of cases, the upgrades from one year to the next are relatively minor, and you can usually end up getting a fantastic deal and a better camera than you planned on for the same amount of money. Some electronics stores locally might do mark-downs as well, so they're worth looking into. I've gotten a Nikon DSLR for under $300 and an HD Panasonic 3CCD camcorder for about half price thanks to those kinds of markdowns, so they're definitely worth looking into. Another advantage of the older model cameras is that you can usually go on Amazon and find back-up batteries on the cheap.

You should take a look at Digital Photography Review, as that site is fantastic and can give you pros and cons of every camera you might be looking at.

All that said, the biggest problem you're going to have is finding a camera in that price range that can capture good audio. The mics on a lot of still cameras are an afterthought, and thus aren't going to give really high quality sound. Normally, if the stills are more for online posting and not something you're really concerned about picture quality with, I'd suggest going the opposite route and getting a video camera with still capacity. But you mentioned going to concerts, so anything that looks like a video cam is probably a no go. If you can find it in your price range, I've liked the video and sound I've gotten from my Panasonic FZ-35, and it's old enough you might be able to find it in your price range as a mark-down. It has a built in stereo mic and shoots in HD and does a pretty good job with both. I actually take the FZ-35 with me to basketball games over my DSLR, because I like the photos and video a little better overall.

4. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

Thanks for the responses!

Lol, looking at prices, and the Nikon S8200 was also $250 :/

I was for about a week or so set on the Samsung WB150F since it has 18x Optical, and got good reviews, plus it was under $200. Now I'm thinking of moving up in price, because I do want the camera to last. Out of the cameras I did play with though, I really liked the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V. It takes pretty good looking pictures even when it goes to digital zoom, and can take fast pictures. Of course that's at the higher end of what I want to spend, and according to some reviews, it starts up slow :/

I'm going to play with the Nikon S8200 some more, since they have it at Best Buy. That's more or less the list I'm deciding between though

5. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rite Aid

Don't get it at Rite Aid. You'll get screwed over.

6. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube: