Looking to buy a Blu-Ray player

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Predakwon, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I tried the search function and couldn't find any posts so can anyone here recommend a Blu-ray player?

My price range is up to $250.

Is there anything I should be looking for? I've been happy with my DVD player and not sure if I need the WiFi. Just want the best picture, etc.]

Do all Blu-ray players have HDMI and do I need it?

No PS3 as I already have an Xbox360.

Thanks in advance!

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

To be honest, PS3 is probably the best bet given that it can be upgraded over internet, has a variety of output options and can be used as a general media streaming box. If you're not using HDMI on BluRay you may as well not bother.

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
  4. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Playstation is probably the best option, since it gets updated, can be 3D and if you ever want to you can play it as well :p 
    But I'd get the Slim one, cause the old one was noisy as hell, I didn't like it.

5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    heh yeah. i concur with the others!

you get much more bang for your buck and its super easy to update

PS3 all the way

6. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    PS3's going to get another case revision and price drop this fall. Just wait it out a bit and you'll find some good deals on the current model, or you'll find the new model to be your fancy.

7. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I too have a 360, so I went with a dedicated BR player. No need to get a whole new system. Ok, TECHNICALLY, I bought two BR units... THIS for my living room:

LG - Smart Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player - BP320

And a BR drive my computer since it's hooked up to my TV. God I love technology.

So, yeah... this way you can have your BR player and save some cash from buying a PS3 and pick up a few movies with the money saved.

All new BR units have HDMI, but they also have component and (SHOULD!!) also have the classic red/white/yellow out as well, so if you're using a pre-HDMI TV, no worries there.

The wifi helps as occasionally you'll pick up a movie that's incompatible with your player or it's current firmware. Having Wifi lets the unit update without you needing to download the update to a flashdrive and install the update that way. It's just easier.