Customs: Looking Professional

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I have a pretty good understanding of how people present their work if they do commissions or post listings/auctions on eBay. There's even a tutorial on taking pictures and the types of backgrounds that are conducive to it.

But I've noticed people that are trying (keyword here) to sell on eBay and hopelessly relist the item with the same exact pictures (usually 1 or 2) of said custom on their desk or carpet. I'd imagine this is their first time customizing and/or putting something they've made up for sale.

Anyway, if you're trying to attract potential buyers and hoping to make a little extra money, wouldn't it be a good idea to invest in a backdrop or something of that nature to catch more interest?

What do you guys think?

Discuss.

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Absolutely. If you are selling to potential buyers, you must have quality pics to represent your work in the best manner. During WIP threads it's not so important, I usually take pics right on the workbench, or table. I would not, however, use those pics in an ad.

3. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    You talkin' about me?:D 

I do see some really nice photos on ebay. I just try to make sure my photos are clear. I don't have $$ to invest on a better camera or lighting. So when I take my pics, I try to find a nice part of my house that has a lot of lights and has a clean background. I did find a nice blanket to put in the background so I use that sometimes. The only thing I haven't tried is taking pictures outside.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I think it's all about presentation. Imagine how many Kias would sell if they weren't on a mirrored shiny rotating platform in a brand new showroom...

For a few bucks you can hit up almost any store and buy some black or white poster board. I also can't stand when people sell a custom on ebay with 2 or 3 pics, and they're blurry.

5. Solrac333

Ebay:
    Yup, I hate blurry pics. My camera is old and messed up. A lot of my pics come out blurry so I just take LOTS of them and pick out the good ones. I also hate it when I see pics that are posted sideways.

FR, You're pics are always awesome!

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    hah. I've seen posted sideways pics. that always cracks me up. I mean, ebay's got a feature that can rotate them for you

7. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should definately go outside to take your pics. Having experimented with light tents and the like ive found that nothing can beat good old natural lighting.
    Obviously the weather plays a factor, but as long as you take your pics between 11am and 3pm and its not pissing down with rain or snowing or gales your pics will always look better.
    Not just because of the better lighting, but also the UV rays help compliment a good paintjob. Artificial lighting will always hide certain details and pigments in the paint.
    Something that looks great indoors in a light tent will look 10-times better outside in the same lighting conditions thanks to the UV.

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

It really isn't expensive at all, Satomiblood. I would definitely go for it. Im still not as good with my photo taking as i would like to be, but I can say that since I started using backdrops that my prices haave seen a nice increase. Sometimes, Presentation is the key.

Another cool thing, you will see your paint quality increase when you start noticing even more how the "small things' show up in better pics. I know its forced me to practice my brush strokes a LOT more. :thumb 

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    no shit on that AX23....Sometimes I take pics and am like, damn - that looks like crap at 300000 pixels wide.

10. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:

HAHAHAHA Oh yeah, with Blurr I noticed a rub area while going through the pics I just took and I was like Whaaaa? I actually went and picked up the figure in disbelief. Repaint that area sealed and retook pics.

11. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    I have noticed that taking pics to show off LEDs is damn hard. If the flash is on, its hard to see the LED light, if the flash is shut off, the light from the LED looks too bright, and the rest of the pic suffers in quality.:( 

12. Solrac333

Ebay:
    I hate that! I'll notice that I missed a spot and that pisses me off.

13. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found a hair in my Optimal Magnus's face, that I never noticed until I took a huge rez photo of it.

14. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i find taking the drama pics more difficult than building the custom itself. i can get good pictures with sharp detail but getting bling i find annoying and frustrating. it is a real shame it is all about presentation. i have seen a few carpet formers well worthy of allot more than what they achieved. my pics are getting better but liking transformers less and less. :lol 

15. Solrac333

Ebay:
    You have to make sure he shaves before the photos are taken.

16. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Absolutely! Presentation is only second to the actual custom. The way I see it is that you are responsible to present your custom the way you want it to be seen. Would you be more inclined to buy/bid on a custom taken in front of a box of cereal with washed out details or a portfolio quality piece that shows off every detail of the piece? Plus, good pictures can be made with about 20 bucks worth of stuff from a DIY store and a decent digital camera(My photobooth is exactly that and it gets the job done).