Looking into camcorders, advice needed

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TJOmega, Apr 24, 2009.

1. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    So I'm looking into getting a digital camcorder and my picky requirements and the whole "reality" thing don't seem to be getting alone. To give you an idea, here's the points going through my head:

- My computer's pretty old and won't be replaced for a few more months it seems, and since this will primarily be for YouTube reviews, high quality isn't required, and hi-def is impossible. It should still look nice though without pixelating or getting too soft around the edges.

- However, being for my YouTube projects, a microphone jack is a huge plus.

- Internal memory is preferred, as I don't want to have to keep buying or swapping around MiniDVs. I'd like a hard drive but I've seen a few use formats that garble the image quality from compression or formats that only their programs recognize, and I know nothing of Flash-based cameras except I'd spend a ton on a high-memory SD card as well.

- My old clunker computer doesn't have a fireline connection, so if it's a MiniDV it needs to use USB.

- It's first major job will be recording my convention trip in June so I need plenty of recording time and a spare battery, i.e. no internal rechargables. This is why I'm after a hard drive camcorder.

- Being an old computer, the camera doesn't have to be a new model, an older one I can still find works as well. Also no problem with refurbished or "like new" used condition to save money.

My budget for a camera is around $300 right now so I'm looking on the low end of the spectrum. Not looking to break into Hollywood with it or anything, but it should still be decent. If anyone's got any ideas of something that would work or any suggestions let me know.