Looking for work...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NGW, Aug 9, 2012.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Lost my job a few months back, went down as a termination, though it was more my company's way of doing lay offs, whatever..

It was the first job I ever held, retailer (was Target) and I was there for almost 3 years when I got **** canned. My education doesn't really go passed my high school diploma. I attended an art school for a couple of quarters before deciding it wasn't what I wanted to do.

Now here I am just applying everywhere, various retailers, fast food joints, restaurants, whatever I can, and not getting a single hit. I interviewed at a Denny's that was opening, twice actually (though both interviews were in the same day), was told things were looking good, they'd let me know (and they had said just about everyone that went in that day was going to be brought on) aaaaaaaand they never got back to me (this was before I was fired btw). Applied at Knott's Berry Farm a couple times, interviewed both times, same deal, told they would let me know, and they never follow up. Chipotle, same story. I don't mind not getting the job (well I do, but meh), but lying to me and never saying one way or the other (especially when you tell me you will let me know one way or the other) pisses me off.

Things are looking up a bit though. Applied at a used book store in the mall. Went in a few days later since I was at the mall anyways, figured I'd check up on my application, make sure they got it, that whole thing. Was told applications go through corporate, so they wouldn't have that info. I answered a trivia question, won a free book, talked with the employees a bit, and the manager said she had to talk to the owner the next day anyways, so she'd check in on things, and after that I left. About a week later I go back to see how that went, same manager was working. Talked to her a little, and eventually asked if she spoke with the owner. She said that he told her they can't hire on anyone else right now because their sales have been relatively poor. She then told me that, and while she shouldn't have been saying as such, they have an employee there that's not working out so well, and they are definitely keeping me in mind. After that I just spend about an hour or so talking to her about books, movies, just kinda hanging out, making a good impression. That seems promising, so hopefully that works out.

It sucks though, I'm struggling just to find ****ing entry level work, why should that be so difficult? I mean it's not like I'm not qualified to work a McDonald's or a Walmart or something.

2. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    go to walmart as a last resort

3. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Depending on what area your trying to get into, entry level work CAN be very hard to find. It certainly is the case in the IT area.

4. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you were 'terminated' and it's on your work record, chances are slim that you'll be able to find anything worthwhile. Sad, harsh fact, but true.
    Employers in this economy are more interested in hiring people that are either currently employed elsewhere, or have specilaized degrees.
    My gf's been unemployed for over three years because she was terminated from her last job, and hasn't been able to find anything at all.

5. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't waste your time with retail, go looking for drone work in other areas - trade, industrial, health, etc.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    If its feasible, try looking at ISP Tech Support desks. You don't actually need to know a great deal about computers to do that job because the field of support is so narrow and your training will cover most of what you need to know. The turnover rate in places like that tends to be pretty high so people are always in demand.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Is going back to school an option? Learning a trade or new skills might make it easier for you to find a new, better job.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    OP, this option is even better.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

In the long-term, I'd say that's a great idea.

But in the short-term, I'd say applying through a temp agency may help you find something.

I'd contact Target's Corporate office about that "termination" tag. You can present a legit case to them that it's making it difficult for you to find employment because it carries such a negative connotation to prospective employers.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Job-searching sucks. And with so many other people in the same boat companies can pick and choose from such a huge pool of applicants that often you get lost in the pile, even if you've submitted a standout application. I hate when you get knocked back almost immediately simply because 500+ people applied for the one job and they're not even going to look at your application because they got so many.

I've just signed up to a course to refesh my industry skills and get some other certificates every employer suddenly seem to want from applicants now when before they didn't and would just train for on the job for those. Might redo my forklift license as well. Companies always want people to lift forks.

It's a crappy time for job-hunting, so I always get annoyed when people complain about how much they hate their job. They'd complain even more if they then suddenly lost it and had to join the others trying to get back into employment in this day and age.
    I miss the good old days when you could walk into any random company, go 'Job?' and they'd say 'Start Monday'. Now they all want to know the ins and outs of your arsehole and see how many hoops they can make you jump through before they reject you anyway.

11. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I second the temp agency suggestion. I've done it in the past. It probably won't be great work (mine sure wasn't), but it'll get you earning money and it's more resume fodder.

12. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unless the temp agency is contracted through an established business, like a factory or warehouse, it isn't the best thing to put on a resume. It shows a lack of dedication. I only say that because I used to be on the main hiring team at work before we went to the temp agency contract. It seems ironic, but that's how it goes.

13. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I've applied at a temp agency, nothing ever came of it.

Yeah I've thought about going back to school, but with my living situation as it is (I don't live at home anymore) I can't afford it. I'm already about 9 grand in debt from the scam artists I went to before (yeah, I fell into the Art Institute trap), but I, thankfully, have that deferred indefinitely. I need a reliable source of income beyond 200 a month in food stamps and about 80 bucks every week or so in unemployment, I mean that barely covers gas to look for work.

14. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I been wanting to work at my local Hobby Lobby for about a year now. I put in applications twice and never heard a word.

Until I found out they like to hire young students who attend a local Christian College. So I would have to try at another Hobby Lobby in another town.

A Hobby Lobby in Huntsville, AL wanted to hire my sister four years ago.

15. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

My advise is, do exactly what you did at the bookstore. FOLLOW UP on each application you put in. Don't expect a business to contact you back & follow up with you.
    Waiting a few days and then following up on your application shows that you have an interest in working for them, & you're not just handing out resumes/applying just to keep unemployment going.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Call centres are a pretty easy way to find work that can fit your schedule, even if the work isn't particularly great and the pay's not fantastic. I'd also recommend you start looking into what kind of financial aid scholarships or re-training programs are available for you, because it sounds like retail has none of the things you want in a future. Look around at what well paying careers seem to consistently have openings, and then build your educational plan accordingly.

17. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good luck to you dude. I went through a year of trying to find SOMETHING until I finally found something that Serbs promising, and got hired on.

18. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hello fellow Southern CA'er
    as a high school teacher I really want to recommend this option.
    There are grants and options out there. My brother is 31 and went back to college and pays for it and lives off of the grant, loans and work.
    It is possible.
    Think about this do you constantly want to be in the position you are in now? My husband is a retail manager and he hates it and he makes jack squat. As a teacher I literally make 3 times more than him. Hell I'm on disability now and I still make a little more than twice what he does.
    It's not just about money, do you think you are worth more than working where you are at now a.k.a. entry level work?
    My husband is thinking about going back to college, he regrets quitting.
    There is also the military though I don't like dishing that out as an option. The reason I mention it is because my husband as in the military for 5 years and got a GI bill to go back to school with.

Just doesn't sound like you are happy with where you are at to me
    look at other options there are ones out there.
    If you think college isn't for you think about why or tell me why and I can tell you ways around that.
    Chose to study something you love, don't take just general ed courses, take a mixture of general ed plus the courses you like to study. If it is a pacing issue do online independant courses.
    Seriously though tell me a little bit more and I will try to help you out

19. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

LOL I went through much the same thing, and have a ticket on that same boat. GED and a couple years of art school.

I was terminated after being a Library Tech. for 2 1/2 years at Microsoft. Couldn't find anything for 8 months until I gave in and applied for a Security Guard spot.

The job sucks, depending on where you're posted, and there's really no future in it- but it pays the bills for right now.

Hell, I should apply at a bookstore with my experience...

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    ^WTF, sales spam, geddafugouaddahere.

On topic, sounds like the termination (instead of layoff) was so they wouldn't have to pay you any kind of redundancy pay. Typical thing, if you're terminated/fired it's because you did something wrong, if you're made redundant it's not your fault and are entitled to some sort of compensation.

If you chase your former employers for a change in that termination status they'll probably want you to sign off something so you can't claim for redundancy, but it's not like you're going to lose anything from that though.

Good luck with the job hunt, the bookstore sounds like a good bet.