Looking for suggestions for a custom deluxe Lockdown base figure

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by NOCV, Apr 10, 2017.

1. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

1985866226_3acbcd5500.jpg

I want to do a TFP/RID custom deluxe Lockdown for my collection, and am having a hard time finding a base figure to start with. The deluxe from Animated is way too tall, and the Bayverse one is too detailed to fit with the others from the line.

Prerequisites:
    • Must be primarily black, I don't want to paint the entire thing
    • Alt-mode must be a two-door car, the more muscle the better
    • Must be deluxe class
    • Does NOT have to be a TFP/RID figure
    The Arms Micron Terrorcon Bumblebee would be cool, but I hate all of the 5mm ports tacked onto it. The roof ones especially.

_1070005_1374940627.jpg bumblebee-prime-bh-robot.jpg

I'm really leaning towards the Beast Hunters Bumblebee, but would want to swap the gray parts of the yellow version with the gold parts of the black version, and cutting/sanding all of those fins off. This means buying 2-3 figures, and I don't want to do that without some input from those who have either on:
    1. Are gray/yellow parts secured by pins, screws or tabs only - no glue?
    2. Are the car doors the same size as the regular deluxe TFP Bumblebee's (as I'd want them without the BH missle attachment holes)?
    Aside from that, I'd be very grateful for other figure suggestions. Thanks guys!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. Houstonian Prime

Houstonian Prime Well-Known Member

May seem far fetched but i think an RID warrior class Sideswipe, could be just as effective (and cheaper). Just a thought..

Need your opinion also...
    Im considering one-step Bisk (vehicle mode only) painted black, to resemble TFP Vehicons. What u think?
    vm1.jpg

3. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

I really like that and would be all over it if the black "Stealth" version of him got released. It doesn't look like it ever made it to market though.
    It's definitely reminiscent of their vehicle mode. I think it would look good, though you've definitely got me curious about what you're doing at that size.

4. Houstonian Prime

Houstonian Prime Well-Known Member

Thats a good point, those one-steppers are kind of small compared to any deluxe. Sitting here with RID one-step Blurr (about the same size as Bisk) in one hand, and TFP deluxe Vehicon in the other... youre right, its just too darn small. ive changed my mind on that. Thanks for the input..

5. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy Master Builder

How about First Edition Cliffjumper? He has the four headlights, and you could add the spikes and bumper Mad max style, fitting with Lockdown's 'spare parts' aesthetic. Maybe you could even replace one of his flip out guns with a hook.

6. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

I like that idea. I saw someone did a real good one based off of the car Vehicon too.

7. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gonna move this over to Creative GD... it would be a good place to get some other suggestions too, hopefully some of our Radicon members would see this thread and respond. Good luck. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  8. HEROBRINE III

HEROBRINE III You know that infamous MCPE Greifer...

I agree with you on this. I am a customizer as well, but I haven't shared any of them on the boards, yet.

As for Lockdown, I'd suggest a slimmer figure, like TFP Cliffjumper, with the horns removed. Some additional sculpting might be required, though.

9. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

10. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

11. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

Thank u.glad I could help

12. HEROBRINE III

I must admit, that custom is very nice. Though, I do still feel ciffjumper's altmode is good for lockdown. It has a bit of a junkyard-look to it.

13. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

Thanks to @grimlockprime 's suggestion, I came across Shadow Strike Bumblebee. It's a dark gray recolor of the regular deluxe that I think I'm going to go with.
    rmboth.jpg
    vehiclemode.jpg

He's primarily moulded in the dark gray, with the exception being the painted doors, roof and rear window. I'm pretty good at color matching so I'm not worried about having to paint those sections that I can't strip the yellow from. The dark gray base will allow for using black in key areas, which will help break up the simple, bold pallet of Lockdown's TFA appearance. His yellow moulded parts should be easy to remove and swap with the standard deluxe's lighter gray ones.

There's a good amount of space under the hood where the head goes so I can give him that long Lockdown neck and a new head, which should help hide that flap from the car's front that is behind this figure's head.

He's also got a place on the hood for Lockdown's EMP hood scoop blower, as well as perfectly placed ports on his forearms for attaching there. His hands have no articulation, but they're in a good spot so I can remove the right one and attach a hook.

I can scale down his EMP blower, design a new head, some sidepipe attachments, front and rear spoilers, some spikes and slightly smaller feet for printing on Shapeways.

The only thing I don't like about this figure is its forward-slouching shoulders. Looking at my kid's, I think I can remove some of what's blocking them from swinging back further. I might lose the geared mechtech head reveal that the shoulders drive though. Not a big deal.

Best of all, these are cheap figures, and it's a figure that wasn't already remoulded as a Con. I know Cliffjumper wasn't either, and I agree his alt-mode fits the bill a bit better, but he's pricier and would take a lot more work to get to where I'm aiming. Not to mention his boxy chest doesn't say Lockdown to me.

I did look at RID's Night Ops Bumblebee, but it's lacking in details on the sculpt and would take a lot more work than this Shadow Strike one.

Thanks again for the input, everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

• Like Like x 1
  15. HEROBRINE III

I saw the pose they were in. Will it hurt?

16. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

I burnt one finger with a craft iron and pinched another with pliers, if that counts.

Bumblebee's definitely seen better days.
    DSC_0868~01.jpg

17. HEROBRINE III

I meant, will it hurt Lockdown? Bee can stand to rest in pieces.

18. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

I wouldn't expect. After the new body is complete he would just transfer his consciousness to it via Cortical Psychic Patch, like Megatron does from within Bumblebee in the TFP episode "Out of His Head".

19. HEROBRINE III

Oh, ok! Aslong as my fellow decepticons are okay, everthing will be fine.