looking for some info on rahxephon

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so I just go the whole series, maybe fan-subbed or not, I'm not sure. but anyway, it looked like it was a good anime, but don't know anything about it, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some info, including any tips while watching it. it also came with a couple of other other movies, called "memories" "euphoria" and "Rahxephon Tagen Hensoukyoku Part 1 and 2." what are those about? thanks!

2. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Looks like it's a fansub. Memories is a recap special that happened between episodes 9 and 10. Euphoria is a music video. And Tagen Hensoukyoku Part 1 and Part 2 is a soundtrack.

3. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I would simply suggest going back through old episodes after you watch the series (or even watching it a second time) if you feel overly confused after the ending. Oh, and if you happen to watch the movie (Pluralitus Concierto, or some such thing), do so after the series, and remember that it is not in the same continuity as the series (it is actually an alternate retelling, and personally, I like the ending to the series much better).

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's an absolutely stunning series, in the vein of Evangelion, but with much better pacing and direction, and a plot that actually unfolds in a natural (ish) way.

I loved it to death. The ending is spectacular.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yes! Rahxephon's a brilliant series. The ending is weird, but makes sense once you think about it for a moment. Also, I thought the very last scene was rather amusing, considering what it revealed. It's not often the very last scene in a tv series does that. Not to mention doing it well.

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

"like evangelion"? uh-oh. while I liked that series, I found it maddening that I had to do a couple of days' of research to figure out (I think) what went on in the last 6 or so episodes. is there anything I should know beforehand or think about while watching it to make it more understandable?

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    When people say it's like EVA, they mean it has a similar atmosphere and general theme. Unlike EVA Rahxephon doesn't require research.

8. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I agree with the comments that Rahxephon has an Eva feel, but does not leave you with the same wtf?! feeling that Eva did at the end of the series. After seeing Rahxephon three times I can safely say I think I've figured just about everything out, and had all the important things figured out after watching it just once (although it is good that you can rewatch the series and always pick up more little bits, or test your theories about this or that).

9. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

its a kickass anime and takes just as much research to understand as Eva does.

None. I don't get why people need to research Eva to understand it. Not knocking those who do, it's just weird. It seemed pretty straightforward to me.

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I said earlier, RahXephon's story unfolds more naturally, and unlike Evangelion's ending that seemed to just throw as much confusing crap at you as humanly possible, RX does that in reverse, by being purposefully cryptic and puzzle-like through most of its run, with the ending serving as the lynchpin that ties the previous events together and gives them purpose.

There might be backstory you'd like to read up on afterwards, because the specifics of that are pretty tricky, but if you're good at paying attention to detail, once you've seen the ending, it's pretty easy to go back and watch it through again, and be able to put some of the more cryptic bits into better perspective.

The core story, however, is pretty straightforward once it all starts to come together.

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

sounds like I'll be pretty happy with this one then. thanks guys!

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Evangelion isn't something that works well when taken directly at face value, which is how most people are accustomed to watching a TV series. It takes a particular sort of mindset to just "get it" immediately. With some reflection and thought, plenty of people should be able to get a lot of the intended meaning from it without research. However, knowing at least a little bit about psychology, about the life of the director, and about how the story differs from works that influenced it (Ideon) can be a huge help in pointing the viewer in the right direction and can uncover layers of meaning that might not otherwise have been apparent. I think it's a matter of how deep you want to go into it before you really feel satisfied, and that's naturally going to be different for different people.