Customs: Looking for some good paint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Primevil, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I picked up Starscream VS Vector Prime over the weekend, even though I don't like VP's colors.

I've been thinking of repainting his white parts in either gray or silver to better complement his brown and gold, as well as make him look more like his (out of my price range) Takara counterpart.

Is there a heavy duty (so to speak) kitbash-friendly gray or silver paint out there that will stand up to the normal wear and tear of posing and transforming? I don't really plan on making VP a display-only piece.

Thanks in advance.

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Not sure if anything will protect from the grindage of transforming but some future floor polish (thanks to greyrider for the tip) will keep your coat better protected. If you're brushing.

3. Primevil

Ebay:
    New question. I saw a spray paint called Krylon Fusion. The can says it bonds to plastic. Has anyone used this? Can it stand up to transforming, posing, and so forth?

4. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't tried it myself (yet- planning to though) but I've heard it suggested by a bunch of people here.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Have you read through the "exhaustive kitbasher's resource" thread yet? It holds a lot of answers to the questions you have.

6. Primevil

Ebay:
    Yeah, I did earlier. It mentions that Krylon Fusion is good for plastic, but it didn't say exactly how durable it is.

I'm wondering if it will stand up to the occasional transformation and posing, because I have no plans to buy a second Vector Prime.

(Yeah, sometimes I'm a bit of a stickler for details)

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Most of the kitbashers over at Transtopia swear by Fusion. I'm not fond of it, because I've had problems with it, if I didn't let the pieces sit for a few days, before I handled them. I did use it on the pelvis pieces of the Alt Grimlock I kitbased, and so far I haven't seen any signs of it wearing through.

You can also shave back parts that are going to rub, to give some clearance for the paint.

8. Primevil

Ebay:
    Well, if the people at Transtopia use it, I guess it has to be good. :D 

Looks like I have to go find some silver this weekend.

9. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I absolutely love Krylon Fusion. There are a couple of silvers in that line though I have never used them. For silver, you are going to have to go to a hardware or DIY store. Walmart carries Fusion but only in limited colors. I actually had to go to my local Do It Best store for the Fusion Yellow I used. Black, blue, red, dark green, white, and whatever else I have used (canna remember at the moment) have all been picked up at W-M though.

When spraying silver, I use Krylon Fusion black as a base coat and the spray Testors silver. It gives a really nice shine. Hit that with some Testos gloss coat or Future Floor polish and you should be good to go for posing and transforming so long as it is not excessive or rough. I would not recommend any self- painted TF for 'play' or play.

Krylon Fusion Selector

Store Locator - again, call ahead to make sure they have the color you want.

10. Primevil

Ebay:
    Well, the parts on Vector Prime I was concerned about were his points of articulation.

I just took another look at him, and most of the places where any paint would come off from transforming/posing are hidden (inside his elbows, knees, ankles, etc).

And since I'm rarely rough when I handle my TFs, I think Fusion is good enough. Besides, I can always sand down some parts.

11. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I have a very similar question, because I have some extra Alternators coming in I'd like to completely, properly and safely disassemble to give them an entirely new base color. Is there anywhere that gives instructions on how to remove pins, such as the ones holding the tires on most Binaltech/Alternators characters.

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    www.tfmaster.com mano'. They have all sorts of how-tos including removing those tire pins.

Andy

13. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    THANK YOU!

Now, I need to put some plans down for the "custom" characters and the parts list I'll need. I can do the sculpting and some of the molding/casting now, but since I'll be painting/spraying outside I'll have to wait until it warms up.

I'm thinking about "upgrading" Jazz using Shockblast's "new" RX-8 form, using some custom graphics.