Looking for some advise from Hardcore PC gamers(WoW and hardware related)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by tb-1599, Apr 26, 2011.

1. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

I would normally go to a WoW website but my servers at work block anything associtated with gamming. (Damn DoD networks LOL)
    So quick background. I started playing WoW when it first came out and I stopped before the first expansion came out. Well now I want to start playing again and I want to upgrade my rig on the cheap (I dont have alot of money to do this) Since I stopped playing I upgraded my PC from Xp to Vista (Big mistake I am waiting to get the recovery disks from Dell so I can go back to Xp) But this is what I will be running once I go back to Xp.
    Dell Deminsion 3000
    P4 2.8Ghz
    1Gb memory
    Nvidia Gforce 5200 (I only have AGP slots)
    Now I remember when I played WoW before it wasnt to bad I think I could run most of the settings at a pretty decent rate. My question is I have about 50 bucks or so to spend a new piece of hardware What should I get. (and dont say a new computer that is not an option LOL)
    I could upgrade my memory to 2 Gb (1Gb X2)
    or upgrade my Graphics card I was thinking about this one.
    Newegg.com - EVGA 512-A8-N403-LR GeForce 6200 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 AGP 8X Video Card

Which one do you think would have the most benefit?

2. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    RAM is most likely the best thing you can do with your budget. You should be running 2GB minimum anyway, really.

3. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Truth be told you need to do a complete new system that said for just wow you can keep it fairly cheap. I would say a core 2 duo a geforce 8 or 9 series card and 2-4 gigs of ram. Check out newegg because it can be pretty cheap to build a new system for WoW.

4. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    He just said he can't afford a new PC....

5. tb-1599

In about a year I would like to do that. But funds dont allow that right now. It's funny after loading up WoW with burning Crusades sunday night and letting it load all night. I woke up all excited and jumped on and NADA I could log on and see my chacter but when I press the W Key my chacter was like HA your funny you want me to move. I asked a friend and he said you HAVE to get rid of Vista LOL also my PC has to run AGP not PCI :(  so I know that limits my choices. I love newegg I am there right now looking at memory.

6. tb-1599

Its ok, believe me if I could I would drop a dime in a second for a new Alienware rig

7. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    That's actually one thing I wouldn't recommend. I owned an Alienware once and it wasn't worth it...

8. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Take that 50 dollars and buy something less dangerously addictive, like crack cocaine :( 

Alternatively, just save up and don't bother buying another card that will be only barely better than the one you have - being limited to an AGP slot there's not a lot of options for you.

9. tb-1599

I know tell me about it. LOL my PC is like 5 years old the wife got it for me as a present. Not that I didnt appritiate it but she isnt a gammer and didnt know anybetter. So I would be just better off getting the extra 1Gb of memory then huh?? My PC can only handle up to 2 Gb of memory so I should just max it out.

10. tb-1599

Well I stand corrected my video card is PCI

11. tb-1599

so I finally have my OS back to XP, wow what a difference it made. So now back to my upgrade. I went ahead and ordered 2 Gig of memory and I was able to scrounge enough to order a Graphics card (has to be under 150 bucks though) I was going to order though Dell so I can use my Dell account and this looks like its going to be a good card. (my pc is PCI and DDR so my options are a little limited)
    VisionTekā„¢ RadeonĀ® X1300 256 MB PCI Graphics Card