Looking for "old" PS2 and XBOX recommendations

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Voiceroy, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I rarely check this forum since I stopped working at GameStop over a year ago because I don't own any next-gen systems and since that's primarily what's discussed here there just didn't seem to be much sense in hanging out.

So in the meantime if I've missed some threads where PS2 and original XBOX games have been recommended, please link me. It's too difficult to narrow the search results down in this forum for games on these consoles, and all I found was this thread with some XBOX suggestions, but even that one doesn't quite work for me because it's related to BC XBOX titles.

Now, in the What are you playing and how's it going thread I listed about a dozen orig XBOX titles I've either already beaten or am still playing through.

That being said, I was hoping you guys might be willing to suggest favorite games for the PS2 and the orig XBOX, or ones that you think I might enjoy based on my preferences.

...and those preferences are primarily FPS (like Halo, Half-Life), act-adv/hack and slash, comedy/spoofs, westerns, flight games (like Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Ace Combat, Crimson Skies) survival horror, racing games where you can also wreck cars (Burnout series, Twisted Metal series) games based on movies/TV shows (and vice versa), and some RPG games to a certain degree (I don't usually like the ones like Final Fantasy that take forever to complete, but if they have a great storyline and are entertaining to play and they won't suck your life away then I'd be up for them).

And here's a list of games that are on my wanted list, so there's no duplication. However, if you see games on my list that you thought sucked, please let me know.

PS2
    Ratchet and Clank
    God of War 2
    The Simpsons Game
    Burnout: Dominator
    Star Wars Unleashed
    Thrillville

XBOX
    Far Cry: Instincts
    Psychonauts
    Turok Evolution

I've played most of the Star Wars games too, except Jedi Academy, Jedi Outcast, Republic Commando, and Obi Wan. Any thoughts on those games? Worth getting or do any of them suck?

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Add Godhand to that PS2 list. It mixes 3 of your categories together- Action, comedy, and (loosely) western.

That and it's badass and hilarious.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Both "Mafia" and "Gun" are great games and I think they were on both consoles. Personally I played them on PC but I'm sure the ports are fine.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Xbox

The Warriors
    Ninja Gaiden Black
    Return To Castle Wolfenstein
    Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2

PS2

Transformers Armada
    Resident Evil 4
    Katamari Damacy
    We Love Katamari

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Try Otagi for Xbox. Fantastic game. I only wish it was Backwards compatible. I bought it only to find out it didn't work on my 360.

6. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    For PS2 Shadow Hearts. I got it as a recommendation for my wife, but it's a pretty decent game and pretty affordable, too. And I'm a sucker for Red Faction 2 as a shooter.

7. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    A lot of Star Wars games are average at best and have their flaws, Force Unleashed for instance is exceptionally short. The Lego Star Wars games are actually pretty solid little platform/adventure games that spoof the movies pretty well. Ratchet and Clank, though, one of my favorite platformer series. The Jak series is a close second, the first is more comedic while two and three are a lot more dark and gritty.

I dont have an Xbox, but for PS2 I have it covered. If you like Zelda-style games, Okami and Shadow of the Colossus are two of my favorites. For comedy and TV-based, Simpsons Hit and Run which is the only good Simpsons game since the old arcade beat-em-up. In the same vein I'll second the Katamari recommendations, either is great. For FPS, Black is really good, but it can be hard.

8. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    If you haven't played Shadow of the Colossus, do it now. I don't care who you are, that game is brilliant.

9. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    For PS2-

Zone of Enders: The 2nd Runner. Fantastic game.

Destroy All Humans 2. Very funny and enjoyable.

The Punisher. Gruesome shooter game.

For XBOX-

Painkiller. very underrated FirstPerson Shooter.

Crimson Skies. fun flying game.

Panzer Dragoon Orta. incredibly enjoyable.

Halo 1 or 2. This one's kinda hit-and-miss with recommendations; I liked it enough to suggest to others.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Shadow of the Colossus and Zone of the Enders: Second runner are ridiculous pieces of work.

11. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks for either (Xbox version looks and runs better), Yakuza (1 and 2) for PS2 and Chronicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay for Xbox. Test Drive Eve of Destruction was a fun racing game for both systems, it ran better and is cheaper on Xbox though.

12. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

metal gear solid 3. the best game in the series.

13. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

You mentioned survival Horror so I would recommend the following PS2 games: Haunting Ground, Fatal Frame series (1-3), Silent Hill 3, and Resident Evil Code Veronica.

Action wise I'd say Devil May Cry series. Plain and simple with hack n' slash with some fun shooting.

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

for devil may cry, forget the first two and just head for the shining piece of the series--3.

like you, I don't have any of the "next gen" systems, although I play some of the top games on my pc if they're available. I was going to chime in with what I thought were the top ones, but they've actually all been listed. although ico was a great game in the same vein as shadow of colossus and okami.

15. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I approve of this message. Not sure how I forgot MGS3 considering its my favorite single player game. Also Resident Evil 4, a close second for favorite single player game.

16. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Good luck finding Fatal Frame 1 and 3 cheap.

Otherwise, everything mentioned above is fun.

Also, I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet:

BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL!

17. newguy

newguy i

For the PS2, Play Boy Mantion

18. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dark Cloud, along with its' sequel is always some good fun. So is Ico, but good look finding either for cheap. Both are PS2-only.

19. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Hell yeah, such an underrated game.
    This & Psychonauts were FanDamntastic

20. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:

I agree with part of that. I thought the first Devil May Cry was pretty good. It's definitely worth getting. The second one however is a giant turd. But yes, the third one is definitely the best.