Looking for good Optimus episodes

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Skeeve, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Okay, I've seen some episodes from the first season and the latter part of ther second season, and from what I've seen, most of the episodes seem to revolve around Bumblebee, Prowl, or Bulkhead. Ratchet's had only a couple focused on him, but each one is probably among the best the series has to offer. Meanwhile, from what I've seen, the Autobot frontman himself seems to have only shared the spotlight with Black Arachnia in a couple of episodes after the pilot, and that's the extent of his time in the sun.

So outside of the BA episodes and the pilot, are there any good Optimus-centric episodes? I mean, I thought the whole point of powering him down to a rookie was so that we could see him develop into a great leader. And to do that, we need to...y'know, SEE him. So what episodes might I have missed? Or has the series never really gotten over its love affair with Bumblebee and Bulkhead yet?

2. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

Return of the Headmaster is an episode focused on the relationship of Optimus to Sentinel. That's really the only episode centered on Optimus in the regular five-man (bot) team.

There is also the Short "Career day", where Optimus is standing before a class of kids, who ask him questions all the time...

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    You could make an arguement about Megatron Rising 1 and 2 being also a part of Optimus' character development. I have a feeling that next season we're going to get a lot more backstory to Prime, including exactly what happened that had him booted from the Academy and ending up leading a bridge repair crew (and likely parallel to that, what got Sentinel so highly placed).

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I don't think it's ever stated clearly, but wasn't what happened to Elita 1 what got him kicked out? From what I remember out of my head it seemed Optimus had command over the trio, but Sentinel wouldn't listen to him and get them all into trouble, ending it all with Elita being 'killed'.

Since Optimus was kind of in charge, he has responsibility, and of course, Sentinel would tell the story in a way he seems innocent?..

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I took that to be the reasoning. Would still like to see a "first mission" episode which showed how each of them happened to be on the Ark on that mission though. Prowl and Ratchet in particular, I'm sure Ratchet would have been happy just retiring and Prowl, well, why does a repair crew need a guy with ninja training?

6. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

It doesnt seem like retiring is a real option indeed the way ive looked at is that Ratchet's being part of a repair crew essentially was him retiring. As for Prowl as he has aknowledged he never completed his training so my assumption is he was assigned to the repair crew because he had to do something I mean with the exception of Ratchet (and Bulkhead since thats exactly what he wanted to do) Spacebridge repair crews are where Autobot failures end up.

Though based on what Derrik. J. Wyatt said in his interview I think we could very well see exactly what lead Optimus and Prowl being on the crew is something that will be touched on in season 3. Im thinking that if Dai Atlas is a cyber ninja (bet takai voices him) like whats been said he will essentially be the grand master of the Cyber Ninja temple and he will likely show up in the Prowl origin ep.

7. Banzaitron45

Banzaitron45 Well-Known Member

Ratchet joined the space bridge crew because he wanted to get away from everything on Cybertron, do to being haunted about being captured, possibly tortured by Lockdown, and having to erase Arcee's memory.

8. Particle_Beam

And of course watching over his friend, the magnificent Omega Supreme, who sacrificed his spark in the great war eons ago.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

Given everything, I could see Ratchet getting ready to retire until he learned that Autobot Command was using Omega Supremes body as a taxi, and made sure he was assigned to be close to Omega Supreme.

See, that's the assumption, but that's not necessary all there was to it. Plus, that doesn't mean he went straight from Academy to Space Bridge repair crew skipper, there could be other events that occured on his way to ending up there, after all, I would guess if it's just a dropout situation, how did he come to receive the Prime designation? After all, if he were drummed right out of the academy for the disasterous mission, wouldn't he have also lost any rank he had?

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I don't even think he was a Prime at the time. And technically he should have been stripped of rank, unless Prime is such a general designation that it also applies to repair crew captains. The others knew him as Optimus Prime yet were still impressed that he'd trained at the academy, so the two don't necessarily go together.

11. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

This is one of the reasons I dont believe that there are non-elite guard soldiers I look at the whole 'great Autobot machine' as being a largely military organization where the Elite Guard are the combat personel with non-elite guard being like military support personel.

12. Banzaitron45

Banzaitron45 Well-Known Member

I can't believe I forgot that!

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    My guess though, it seems possible one somehow automatically gets the rank of Prime when you reach a certain level in Autobot Academy, next to 'normal' ways of becoming a Prime.

Kind of like how one can become a high-placed officer either by training for the specific job, or working your way up in life from low job to officer-rank.

Still, if that's the case, I'm having questions as to when exactly Autoboot Camp happened..since we are shown Sentinel was still a Minor then..maybe Optimus was already ahead of him, and during the events of Along Came A Spider, was already a Prime, whereas Sentinel was still Minor (which would make sense, with Optimus being in charge). I can't remember if Sentinel is called Prime in that episode or not.

14. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Their ranks were not mentioned. And Blackarachnia's bio states that she was in the Autobot acadamy when she was abandoned on an organic planet. So I'm guessing that the incident occurred during the acadamy days.

Which leads to two options:

1) Optimus and Sentinel have kept it a secret for eons and Optimus being let go from the elite guard is completely different

2) Sentinel ratted Optimus out.

Given that BA stated that she waited a thousand solar cycles, I'm gonna point at the former option.

Back on topic: I have to agree that know that I think about it, Optimus has not had a solo episode in the entire series. I mean maybe The Elite Guard but I always thought it was a group ep and Mission Accomplished also revolves around Starscream. Maybe one will show up in season 3.

jD001

15. Particle_Beam

He does have solo episodes, they're just mostly with Black Arachnia, and the one where the Headmaster-guy Masterson snatched Sentinel's body.

16. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

So nothing on the level of focus that Bumblebee, Bulkhead, and Prowl get? That's a shame.

17. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Like many have said- The pilot (Transform and Roll Out), Along Came A Spider, Megatron Rising (Two parter), the first three episodes of second season, and Black Friday.

18. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Hey, what about "Along Came a Spider"? True, it had some of the other characters in it, but we see Optimus reminiscing about the incident involving him, Eleta-1, and Sentinel on an organic planet and his encounter with Blackarachnia, who---as we know---is the mutated form of Eleta-1. Just from that episode alone, we see an event in his past that came back to haunt him AND the indication that he and Eleta-1 had feelings for each other.

19. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mentioned that in my first post. I consider that more of a BA episode, since it was more about her origins than anything else. Optimus was a reactive rather than an active character. Much different from the Ratchet episode with Arcee. Ratchet was the one who really shined in that episode; we got to see his origins and what makes him tick as well as see him kick butt in action. Optimus just turns into a dull foil whenever BA's around.