Looking for book suggestions from fellow geeks/nerds/etc.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Bryan, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I know books r 4 noobs, but I'm going on a looooooooooong vacation, need something thick and/or in a series to read on the plane & train rides. I haven't read much fiction lately (read: almost nothing for the last two years) and I'm looking for the next book I love. I was thinking some self-confessed geeks/nerds/etc. here would have some personal favorites to share.

My favorite books ever are: Ender's Game, Starship Troopers, and The Forever War. Fitzpatrick's War and Replay are up there also (SF set in '60s Atlanta = awesome bonus) I love SF in general, especially hard SF and space opera (yeah, I know, they're like opposite ends of the spectrum).

I like thinking man's SF. I read suspense for page-turning fluff, but with SF, I wanna be challenged. Epic scale is a big favorite of mine, and I admit to liking at least a splash of war, even if it's only the backdrop. But I don't usually dig stuff that's overly depressing or feels...I dunno. Psychologically heavy. If I wanna be down about war, I'll think about work.

Heinlein, Asimov, and Clarke are obvious winners, but I've read most of their seminal works. Other favorites are stuff by Dan Simmons (Hyperion, etc. was impossibly good), Peter Hamilton, Alistair Reynolds, Tony Daniel, and Simon Green (Shadows Fall was a blast). I loved the Dune series, but thought his son bastardized the sequels.

Alan Dean Foster is fun also, but I like his more serious stuff. The Damned trilogy was okay, but the Journeys of the Catechist was phenomenal. One of the most original series I've ever read.

I don't read fantasy except David Gemmel, and he's dead and I own all his books.

On the non-SF side, I dig Lee Child's Reacher novels. Also Robert Crais and stuff by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. Fast-paced, semi-believable suspense.

I think that's a decent snapshot. So yeah, any suggestions?

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Naw, I'm pretty big into political history and social thought-type books myself. But here, just looking for something to just enjoy while I'm stuck on a plane for like 16 hours.

Was hoping for more feedback, but I guess if it doesn't have pictures or need a controller, TFW isn't really the target demographic.

4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd agree The Witching Hour kicks all sorts of ass, but I found Lasher and Taltos not even near as good. More supernateral than sci-fi... but a good read none the less. Recently, I've enjoyed the Meg series by Steve Alten, as well as some of his other books (the Loch).

I've also heard there is this Twilight series that is all the rage with the kids. ;) 

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Try some of Card's other books. Especially the rest of the Ender and Shadow Series.

6. smkspy

Pretty much. I'm so busy reading history books, that the only other that I do actually get to read are comics because they're so short. I miss good old fiction though.

Catch-22 is awesome and I just read a biography about Jesse James by T.J. Stiles, which reads like fiction its so good.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

All done, plus the Alvin Maker stuff. :D 

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Catch-22 is amazing.

And yeah, I love comics also. It's kind of a pain, though. For what I pay for 'em, it's not very cost-effective. I read about eighty to a hundred pages an hour of the average paperback, and a comic usually only takes me about ten minutes unless I force myself to slow down and really drink in the art--which I do try to do.

9. smkspy

Buying TPB's online really helps with the reading to cost ratio. Anything less than 35% off is ridiculous. Though damn, 80-100 pages an hour. Man, I envy you. I average about 50-60...of course I'm usualy rereading sentences and taking notes with everything I read.

10. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That's actually how I got into Card. My wife had to read Seventh Son for some college class and handed it off to me. As soon as I read that Alvin's family settled down at where the Tippycanoe River flows into the Wobbish River (Lafayette/West Lafayette/Battle Ground Indiana area) right where I live it became a must read.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    You want an incredible graphic novel, Bryan? Go for Alan Moore's 'From Hell'.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Weight / length ratio of a TPB is for shit with travel.

Also, I'm not an emo goth fag. :D 

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, you. :lol 

14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The Janet Evonvoich Stephanie Plum series. (Female Bounty Hunter Hillarious and action packed her cars have a tendancy of blowing up)
    J.D Robb Eve Dallas Series (sci fi cop series)
    Robert B Parker Spencer Series
    John Sandford Lucas Davenport Series
    Johnathan Kellerman Alex Delaware series
    Mikey Spillane's Mike Hammer series
    Various books by Carl Hiaasen (any one that features Skink. Tourist season is a good one)

15. smkspy

16. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fight Club if you haven't read it.

17. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Social thought, you say?

Have you read any Hunter S. Thompson? If not I strongly suggest picking up some of his anthologies as they're nice and thick and cover all kinds of subject matter (I know you have a hard on for politics, you're well covered there).

If you're after fiction of that ilk then American Pshycho is a dull read, but actually quite interesting in retrospect rather than at the time and Chuck Pa- eh, the Fight Club dude's stuff is also pretty interesting commentary on various matters.

I'd offer more but I'm too busy with pictures and controllers :p 

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Be warned that Fight Club is extremely short.

19. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    What about stuff from Pynchon? Gravity's Rainbow is an excellent read, though I'd suggest you start with The Crying of Lot 49.

20. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If you are at all a fan of horror, I highly, highly recommend World War Z. It's a thick book, with perfect chapter lengths. It's very episodic, so it's easy to get entrenched, but be able to set it down if need be and pick it up later.