looking for an lcd tv that old games will look good on..

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, Jul 18, 2008.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I rented a visio 37" tv in the spring, and while dvd's and ps2 games looked good on it, stuff from the saturn and ps1 looked atrocious. I was going to be willing to chalk it up to low-res stuff being displayed on an hd tv being a bad idea, until I read a review saying that that particular tv had "sub-par standard def. performance."

now the thing is, I've seen that said about a LOT of tvs in reviews, including those made by sharp and sony. so I was wondering if any of you have had better success with your tvs and playing older games on them. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as my crt tv is on its way out.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Well, if more current technology looked good on the TV, I don't know what was sub-par about it.

I can't think of any HDTV that would make a Saturn game look good.
    The more recent TVs just display the imperfections we didn't notice on the old TVs.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I think the "sub-par" reference meant that older things like regular cable tv, maybe dvds, older games, etc. which aren't high resolution looked bad on it. I think you're probably right though about it making imperfections look more noticeable.

4. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got a Circuit City model Olevia 32" widescreen LCD that I bought last Thanksgiving and everything I've played on it looks great. Only exception was my Sega Genesis...so I took it off. Currently I've got the following systems hooked up and they all play and look fantastic:

Super Nintendo
    N64
    Saturn
    Dreamcast
    Xbox
    PS2
    Wii

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

hmm, that's great! however I had heard that the customer service/reliability of those tvs was not so good. how's it been for you?

6. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I have a samsung 40 inch 1080p 120hz lcd tv. As you know, samsung is one of the best rated lcd tv on the market and yes, 8, 16, and even 32 bit games look pixelated and crappy, even though the picture is very clear. The problem is inherent to the system itself in that when those systems were designed, most of us had 27inch tube sdtv's. Now that HD is out, what used to look pretty good on an sdtv, looks not so much on an hdtv. I do recommend that you check out samsung because if your gonna spend 900, why not spend a couple hundred more and get something that is awesome!!!

Samsung - 40" 1080p 120Hz Flat-Panel LCD HDTV - LN40A750

7. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't had to use customer service yet (knock on wood), so I can't comment there. My only complaint thus far is the remote included is less than stellar and the interface isn't as nice as the Toshiba in the living room.

I really shouldn't complain much though as I got a heck of a deal on the TV. I paid like $465 for it...similar TVs are still in the $800+ range. One of the other things I like about it is that the speakers are on the side instead of underneath the picture. Nice clean design. If you want the model # let me know.