Looking for advice on (Yes/no) selling my collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by masishadow, Sep 13, 2009.

1. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So my girlfriend suggested the other day, since I wasn't eligible for any financial aid (including unsubsidized loans) this semester, and handling an $800/mo. college payment is kind of unreasonable right now along with rent, bills, insurance, etc, to sell my collection off.

My collection isn't grand or impressive, but I've got a couple figures worth some money, and it would help. It's not a super-pressing matter, since my college doesn't mind very late payments and there's no fees there. This isn't a sell my collection off right now because my car needs new (insert here) and I can't work, but it is of importance.

Work at Applebees as a server, at least for the last two weeks, has been dreadful. Business is the worst it's been in the 1.5 years I've been there. So it helps but not as much as it did.

So the questions is...sell of my collection and pick it up again after I've finished college in ~2 years or stick it out, pick up shifts and work my ass off and get everything together, though with having that much in bills, I won't have time or money to improve my collection. It wouldn't kill me to sell it off but getting rid of any hobby, besides losing interest in it, just sucks.

Any advice from someone's who's been in similar shoes?

2. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Depending what you exactly have in your collection will decide if it's worth selling or not. Imo, there's a lot of people that think they're going to get a ton of money for what they got but will be disappointed. I don't think an extra $5 or $10 would help. For most of ys, your toy collection isn't your income, it's what job you got. Unless you got super rare white japanese g1 headmasters, I wouldn't bother selling.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    ^^^ Like Hotspot17 said, most collections won't go for too much.

IMO, it's up to you my man. If it were me in the same situation I would try my hardest to pick up some shifts at work, apply for some scholorships, do whatever I could do to keep my collection. 'Cuz in reality most collections that sell off won't get more than a few hundred bucks depending on how big, condition, loose/MIB, etc. Your call, but best of luck.

4. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Keep favorites, sell off others that you wouldn't miss as much. But like the Hotspot said, selling figures off, even really rare ones, won't get you much in the long run. Try getting some outside scholarships (from Fastweb.com or something) if the school or state can't help.
    As important as collecting is, college is a higher priority (that's what I try to remind myself everyday). But what do I know, I'm still mooching off my parents...

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Even if you do have some figures worth something doesn't mean that they will sell for what they're worth. :::looks at my KP Rodimus that I can't get rid of:::

DOesn't really sound like you should though and it's something you'll probably regret.

6. masishadow

News Credits:
    Well she suggested I only sell off the ones that I would get ~$50+ or more on, meaning Get rid of my botcon, MP's and few G1's I have that are worth money. She also said...find ones you don't like to sell. I like all my botcon, MP's and G1's :p  Going by that logic, I'm going to sell universe heavy load and get $6 bucks out of him and yeah...that $6 won't be significant. $6 is one table's tip at one shift at work.

I was leaning towards not selling anyways. Since I don't get a loan this semester, I can pull a double loan for both semesters in the spring. I just have to keep the school from purging my classes.

Guess it's time to get my ass working. Thanks for the replies!

7. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Don't sell them. I was in terrible situation and needed money. I had already parted with my 67' Gibson SG and now my TF's were gonna go. I actually had tagged and bagged my collection to sell them off on Ebay. It took several hours and I was crying the whole time. My wife told me not to sell them as I'd regret it forever. And she was right.
    Having them around always puts a smile on my face. No matter how low I get. Don't sell your Transformers man. That's my advice.

8. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just to reiterate what others have said, you won't get as much as you think you will. I have never sold my TF's, but I did sell off a bunch of older toys when I got into high school thinking I was done with toy collecting (yeah right:D ). I still remember how sorely disappointed I was when I only made a fraction of what I was expecting. Of course, I was younger back then and not as interested in keeping things complete.

The point is, while it may seem like years and years of toy collecting should benefit you with a lot of $$$, unless you have a super collection of some sort that usually isn't the case.

9. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Figure out what you would do when you have no more Transformers to sell?
    Then, keep your collection and do that.

10. masishadow

News Credits:
    Yeah I know what you mean. The prices I was looking at was just based off of completed listings on eBay, but they're worth more than those prices to me personally.

My collection before (post-kid collection) was stolen along with my massive Conan magazine collection and about 15,000 baseball cards I inherited were also stolen while I was out of the country a couple years back.

Didn't really want to give em up again, was just an idea for quick money, but after hearing everyone, I'm now sure I'd regret it.

11. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

I've crossed some rough paths in life and have never sold anything to make ends meet. Patience, diligence and hard work will see you through. Someday you can look back on all this and sigh with relief that you made it, and so did your collection too. Btw what are you going to major in?

12. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    so true

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It just seems to me that selling them off and then backtracking to recoup your losses is not only a waste of time and money, but too much of a hassle.
    all that means to me is that keeping your collection is the best thing to do.

as a kid, i traded away some nice TFs and never really got the fair end of the deal.
    and it is why i don't even consider selling now.

You can sacrifice a lot for college, for your girlfriend, but i don't think you should have to sacrifice everything for it.
    best of luck.

14. masishadow

News Credits:
    I'm majoring in international business, minoring in Japanese and plan to be fluent in Chinese by the end of my schooling as per my Chinese girlfriend >:) 

15. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    as everybody in this thread points out, selling is not going to get you much money, which will be indifferent in your situation. Plus the entire process can take several weeks even months.

Maybe get another job at night?

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    selling isn't going to help for long even if you get top prices for so hang on to them and tighten your belt and get a second job if need be

17. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    selling 5 or 6 figures may net you 200 bucks. While 200 bucks may help out, what is it gonna do for you a week or two later. My advice is to not sell.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, don't sell your stuff. The amount of time it takes to email people, wait for payment, mail the stuff off, pay any Paypal/ebay fees, wait for the person to get said stuff to make sure everything is okay so you can actually keep the money etc. is way too much of a hassle, and you could have earned a lot more money going to work.

19. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In the end, it's all just plastic. If selling helps you with achieving your goal of getting your degree then do so. The degree can help you get a better paying job which in the end will help you afford whatever TF pieces you may have regretted getting rid of and more.

I always support people in their education and getting that degree.

20. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    I tell you what: Buying them back will hurt more than selling. It sometimes made my circuits sizzle having to spend $50 plus on a toy I originally had and bought for less than $20. Like others have said, you won't get back as much as you put into them, and if you're like me, you'll probably regret it. I've been through the wringer financially, and there've been times I've sold all my CD's just to have food to eat for the week. Sounds like you're not in that bad of a spot, yet.