looking for advice on getting a hdmi tv for a ps3/xbox360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Dolza_Khyron, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i've been out of the loop of gaming for awhile, *i have not bought a new game system, since dreamcast*

i'm looking in to getting a 360 and or eventually, a ps3, as well.

but i want to get the best experince out of the huge price tag that comes with them, i mean when i bought the dreamcast it was only $130, and i bought that only a half a year after i came out. *it was on sale, at fry's electronics* but i don't see sales on systems any more, so, i want a tv, that will give me the best experince out of that gaming box.

but i have no idea what kind of hdtv i should get, there is so many options, like what is "intergrated" hdtv?

i'm looking into getting no bigger then a 32inch, and no smaller then a 26 inch, but game spot says that crt's are better then lcd's and such and it's getting so confusing.

i'd also like to get some sort of sound system to go with it.

and i have no idea what i'm doing with that.

i need advice, any would be nice.

so basically, i want the best tv/audio system i can get, for the lowest price possible. but i don't want junk, or something that's going to break in a few years, i want something that will actually last as well.

my parents are telling me that Sharp is the best tv to go with. but i'm unsure on that as well.

is 1080i much different from 1080p?

2. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say the best bet is to look at the tv's and choose the one with the picture that looks best to you. As far as lcd vs crt goes, it'd say go with lcd. they are much more compact, seem to produce less heat and collect less dust, and I've found the image to be nicer on the lcd.

Regarding 1080p vs 1080i, since you're not looking at anything over 32", you're not going to notice a difference. There is essentially no necessity to get a 1080p display unless you are using a tv in excess of 46", since it's only at those larger sizes that you will be able to actually see a difference. I'm not 100% sure, but I've heard that running at higher resolutions also will shorten the life of your tv, so since you're running a smaller tv, you could get away with sticking to either 720p or 1080i and the image will look the same.

Also, I can say that Sharp seems to be a good quality tv from my experience so far. I've had a 32" aquos since christmas, and I've been running both ps3 and xbox 360 on it with hdmi and hdtv cables with great results so far, and no problems with the tv itself.

3. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

just splurge and get a nice big 61" Samsung DLP. Works great for the 360 and PS3.

4. Dolza_Khyron

no i'm not getting a 61inch :lol  my rooms not big enough for that. besides i still believe that my parent's 37inch is way too big to playing video games on, i mean it's great for movies, but to me something that large, or larger is not good for gaming.

and thanks,Sokar

is there any brands i should avoid? or tv's i should avoid?

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

No sure I agree with those sizes. Recently my parents got a 40 inch 1080p Sony Bravia, and when I hooked up the PS3 which I purchased at the same time (only paid 300 woot!), I could tell the difference between 1080p vs 720p in 1080p games such as Gran Tourismo HD, and the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo. That said, 720p games still look great, 1080p is just a tad bit sharper. Also, gaming looks great on the TV, I dont notice any ghosting or anything. So I believe that crt vs lcd thing will be between whatever individual models you're looking at.

All that said, Im not sure if you would loose any advantage of 1080p at 32 inches. It all depends on whats available, how much you want to spend, how the TV looks, and what distance you will be viewing the TV from. When you go into a store, make sure you take a look at different distances.

Another word of advice is to note that brightness is not always better. Most stores set the TVs to maximum brightness to compete with all the other lights in the store. You would most likely not be viewing the TV under those conditions at home. So you might want to pay more attention to things such as your viewing and so on. Just go looking for awhile so you can see whats out there before making a purchase.

Also, about your game systems. Might not want to rush out to buy one at this time. Sony has rumors of a pricedrop on the PS3. No word on a 360 price drop, but its starting to get overdue for a price drop in my opinion.

6. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

It depends how much youre going to spend.

1080P vs 768P

what those numbers mean, is the resolution of the TV.

What EXACTLY those numbers mean, is, they are the number of LINES your TV can reproduce.

If youre a big baller, youd get a pioneer.

1080 minus 768/720 = 312. (or 360 lines more) so a 1080 TV screen has 312 more lines than a 768 TV.

312 more lines for more clearer picture.

1080 sets are the MOST expensive.

Plasmas say (the GAS) they last 30 years.
    That is, 8 hours a day for 30 years or some wacky breakdown like that.

Whens the last time you seen or owned a tv that clunked out on you. Biggest problem for these tv's is hanging improperly or shipping drops, which the screen ,may crack. or have a dark red line down the middle....BAD.

Panasonic is the among the best PLASMA's you can get.

I have a 768p plasma 50" panasonic, I paid 1600 at best buy like 3 months ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Panasonic-TH-50PX600U-50-HDTV-Plasma-TV_W0QQitemZ130126660585QQihZ003QQcategoryZ39828QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

looks fantastic.

You cant just hook up to the wall, turn it on and enjoy....no, you must find the PERFECT settings in the menu for it to look great.

1080's are like 2300-4g's, Get a nice HDTV if you have HDTV service, without the HDTV signal, youll be wasting your money.

HD has never looked better, and if its the price youre wondering about, I don't see them falling too much anymore. stay away from samsung, or phillips. Just my opinion.

Plasmas in general, are in thier 12'th generation and I believe ones from 2006 are great sets.

LCD's are iffy in giant size, but if youre staying under 42" get a LCD. The ONLY LCD to get is a nice 1080 one at least. 768 looks too hazy. I'd say. Look at them close at your local retailer, then go home to buy one on the internet, its MUCH cheaper. Post some of your wants via a link and maybe we can guide you to a nice new TV thats worth your money.

HDMI is the best connection out there, 1 cable carries both audio and video and it makes it a snap for hookups. Go to ebay and get the RED Monster Cable HDMI.
    Some people say the Monster Cable, or a nice cable isnt worth it....in my personal opinion, it is.

7. Dolza_Khyron

one problem i've had when i watched spiderman *first movie* on my parent's 37" was, every one and everything, looked, so red. it was not an HD movie. but it was being played on an HD conversion dvd player that converts it to 1080p, was that caused by the dvd player, or the tv? if the dvd player should i avoid getting something like that, and just buy the hdmi drive for the xbox? *or just use sony's blue ray if i get that instead.*?

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

OK, firstly, for $ to performance, you can't really go wrong with a Samsung. Great, great screens. LG are great too, cheaper usually, but you lose out on some features, but as it's simply for gaming, you probably won't miss them.

9. Dolza_Khyron

well it WILL become my main tv too, so i will probably plug my cable into it and all, and maybe upgrade my dvd player and such to hdmi, later on.

but mostly i want it for gaming. how ever i do want to be able to watch reqular tv, and movies on it too.

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Samsung is the way to go, seriously, price to features it's great. I tried a few and for the money the Samsung gave me the biggest bang for the buck (I have a 26 inch one).

Blu Ray looks fantastic on it, too >.>

11. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IIRC, there aren't any 1080P TVs available under 37inches(?). So that would leave you at 1080I. The difference between the two is rather minor, even on a 46 inch plus screen.

I'd quite strongly suggest a Logitech Z5450 or Z5500.

The main difference is that the 5500 is 1010 watts VS the 5450 at 600 or so.
    The Z5500 has only one optical input ( needed for true digital sound) compared to two on the 5450 but optical splitters are cheap and easily available.

Sharp have been hit and miss. A few LCD TVs they released towards the end of last year/start of this year had issues with banding, and sound being out of sync.
    Sharp pretty much denied there was any problem and called the symptoms normal.

Like Twin Twist said, Samsung offer good HDTVs in the medium range price bracket.

12. Dolza_Khyron

actually I have seen some 32" tv's popping up now at sears.com, with 1080p, for sharp, for just under $1400, but you are all saying that samsung is the better, so i might try that.
    and Logitech, that something i'd find under computers, i'm assuming right?

13. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    No need to upgrade your DVD player. The PS3 will upconvert your standard def dvd's and output them at 1080p via your HDMI. Plus it will play Blu-ray movies.

14. Dolza_Khyron

will the xbox360 do the same thing? i plan to get one of those first, and wait for the ps3 to come down in price.

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As Twin Twist said, go with Samsung. For the money, they have the best contrast ration of any LCD. I own 3 Samsung LCD's and I couldn't be happier with them. Resist the temptation to go cheap; with LCD's, you get what you pay for.

16. Dolza_Khyron

samsungs don't seem to have what they're max res is, or what ever, they don't say if they're 1080p or 480i or what ever, so are they different?

17. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

get a 42" inch lcd.....period. Theyre about the same price as a 36 or whatever....

I see 22" lcd MONITORS are like 250. 00 right now. But those are too small. Im just stating the price, before feb they were 290.00

Im just stating the flux in price between a 36 and 42 youll be happier in the longrun if you go big, TRUST ME. It will be the last TV you buy for a long time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234002

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16889114018

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-42HL67-42-REGZA-Widescreen-LCD-Flat-Panel-HDTV_W0QQitemZ200122338935QQihZ010QQcategoryZ142177QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

How can I give advice if i dont know your budget?

Do your RESEARCH, look up the model number and research the consumer opinions on the TV and all that jazz. Dont just purchase blindly.

720's will still give you the "pop" on the cheap.

1080's will eat up your budget and not look back. unless you go with a vizio or somethin cheaper.

Sharp aquos is WAYYY too spendy (and overrated) on the retail tip.

18. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

God all these numbers and nomenclatures, I'm completely lost. I'm still using a 25 inch bubble-screen no-name TV.

19. Dolza_Khyron

yea but my tv entertainment center only will fit up to a 32inch wide screen at max. it's designed to fit a reqular 60 inch tv screen, but it's designed to fit a big squarish tv, not a wide screen, and i do not wish to buy a new one, when i have one that works, and looks so good, when my parents DID buy a new one and they are having so many problems with it. *they gave me their old one*, so i'm going to stick with it.

and my budget's pretty high, i just don't want to spend too much for one. my parents bought theirs for a combined priced of like $3k, sharp 37' top of the line tv, new entertainment center, audio/video receiver, 5.1 speakers, dvd player conversion and all. but i don't want to spend that much, so i want to spend less then $2k for it, but i want to get something just as good, or better then they got. that will last for a few years, or even up to at mini. 5 years.

i have done research on this, i've been doing research on it for years, and when i bought my computer, i found out that the best place to get information about buying something IS on here. so that is why i asked here.

20. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8274388&st=sharp+1080p&type=product&id=1171057791721
    I don't have any expierience with that model but I have seen sharp's 1080p 42 and 46 and I liked those(plus someone on the boards has one). Anyway the thing has 3 hdmi ports a DVI port and two components.

With this TV the PS3 and Xbox Elite can have their own individual HDMI ports. Your computer can use the DVI port on the TV, leaving you with one more free HDMI port for use with a cable set top box, Satelite receiver or an Apple TV your choice.

You would have two unneeded component ports so go ahead and waste one on a Wii if you have one sure its only 480p capable but its not like that component port will be hooked up to anything more capable right? The last component hookup could be used for Apple TV or something similar if you decide to use your last HDMI on something else.

The composite and s-video ports are there too but i dont see why you would need them I would disable them in the menu.