Looking for advice - hold or toss boxes/blisters?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Hey guys, I'm trying to clean out my collection of stuff and I'm trying to discern what's junk & what's not.

I've held on to a buttload of Energon blisterpacks (i.e., the ones for the combiners and a lot of divebomb packs). They're all opened - carefully, with a pocketknife, but opened. I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it to hold on to them.

Like, honestly, I can kinda figure that many, many, MANY (30+ or something) years down the road, they might be worth something. Right now, I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it to have them continue to take up space, when I can use that same space for storing some figures.

Advice?

2. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    If theyve already been cut, surely they lost a lot of value already?
    It'll never be MISB again, Chuck 'em.

3. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Just cut off the bubbles and toss them, the card backs don't take up much room by themselves. I'd rather have my space taken up by more TFs and less plastic-bubbles.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Actually, I like that idea. I think I'm just going to hold on to the cardbacks. Thanks!

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That's what I do. Keep the cardbacks, lose the plastic bubbles. It's not like you can put them back in again. The only ones I keep are my Japanese ones, because that packages for those are (mostly) resealable.

6. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    And they look pretty, especially some of the Voyager + above boxes for Galaxy Force, the Planet Leader boxes even more so.

7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I take it a step farther. I cut off the bubbles and toss them out. Keep the cards. For larger figures, I throw out all the plastic insert trays and flatten the boxes. I have a couple of flat-screen monitor boxes that I put them in. I have all the boxes from Armada on stored this way. Takes up next to no space compared to the insane amount of space the boxes took up when still whole. The only boxes that won't fit are the Unicron/Primus sized boxes. They are flat up against the wall.

8. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

i keep card backs, and chunk bubbles, and cant bring myself to throw away or burn boxes,i keep them in a hollowed out tv, box inside of box. but i will give them away for cheap...trade or shipping or whatever on the boxes,unless its a bot i plan on trading or selling at some time,then i keep the bots and boxes, coz its just easier to trade or sell them, if you have everything....cardbacks i save in some legal folders...and i save all the instructions, not like i ever use em but still

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah I just keep the cardbacks...it saves on space!

10. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Same thing i do! If you want to keep some of the bigger boxes, throw away the insides, and fold them up.

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

i keep everything

12. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

The question is "When looking on ebay to buy older figures what is important to you? Tech Specs by themselves, box art, don't really care?" This will help to decide what to keep for the new stuf..

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I keep everything, and here's why: if you do ever decide to sell the toys, they'll definitely be worth more with the packaging, even if it's opened. see g1 sales if you doubt this. the other thing is that they're great for putting the toys back into if you need to put them in storage.

14. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Coming from a hardcore box keeper, I say cut the bubbles. For boxed stuff, I keep everything, even one or two twisties to hold the toy back in place for storage/display. But for carded stuff, I slice off the entire bubble and just save the cardback. At this point, that's a pretty massive pile of cardboard, but it's still a hell of a lot of less space than keeping the bubble attached...more room for the boxed stuff. :D 

15. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

So its not even worth it to keep the boxes? I have like a room full of Transformer boxes and if the value will never be the same im burning them.

16. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Me personally, when purchasing only need the figure and all of the accesories.

Tech specs, instructions is just gravy for me.

Boxes are an extra serving of gravy for me.

But if I have them, I keep EVERYTHING... I have space though.

17. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Toss the empty boxes and bubbles into the trash because that's what it is: trash. I never got why people took pictures of their empty boxes when they showcase their stuff, I dont see how it's supposed to be impressive.

18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Flatten the boxes and keep them. Just toss all the stuff that can't be flattened. They are open anyways so you won't get MISB prices. Besides, there are too many people buying items to keep sealed now that most figures won't get to the insane prices G1 guys did. Back then, it was mostly kids getting toys and playing with them so there are less examples of sealed figures than there wll be with modern toys.

19. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Sooo..a loose G1 Shockwave or Jetfire is more impressive than one sitting snug in its foam inside the box? I'm not equating modern stuff to two G1 heavyweights, but the principle is the same. Some people just like the look of the toy in its original packaging when it's not being used/displayed.

Why? Because you can still see the toy. It hit me once why I will spend money for a vintage TF box and insert, but not vintage SW or GIJoe. With those two, you can't see the toy. And more often than not in GIJoe's case, once the toy is assembled, you can't even fit it back in the box. TFs with their window boxes were pretty unique in that respect...and a big reason why say, just the box and foam for Shockwave will cost you a pretty penny, while a $20 GIJoe '85 Moray box goes unsold.

I don't save modern boxes for future monetary worth. It's essentially just a holdover from the vintage way of thinking..."Me think TF look neat in box, me keep." I do keep most of the modern SW and Joe boxes too, but both have a lot of window boxes these days; SW even often going for a mini-diorama in a box look, while GIJoe vehicles, because of the window boxes, don't come disassembled anymore and can go back in the box for display/storage.The all-cardboard boxes are less important and get put in storage, if not (*gasp*) tossed.

20. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I keep card backs or clip the important stuff off of them and tape it together.

Ex 1. W/ Classics, I clip the bio and on the back of that I tape the name, job, and tech spec.

Ex 2. W/ Cybertron, since there was less, I clipped the bio and taped the tech spec to the back of it unless it was a deluxe and therefor already had the tech spec attached to the bio.

Ex 3. From Energon, however, I only kept the cards since they contained the tech specs.

I do keep complete boxes for all of my Alternators as well as all of my imports. I have kept entire card backs from purchases that are older than Armada on some occasions.