Looking for a new laptop. Computer buffs, help!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Glitcher, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    Well, it's my mum in Ireland who's looking for a new laptop, since her old one has gone to that big junkyard in the sky. Typical of mothers, she knows very little about computers, so she asked my help in picking one out for her. Well, I gave a few specs to look for and she emails me about the VAIO VGN-NR21Z/S Notebook. It's quite powerful at around €1'000, so I know she's willing to spend that much on it. But if I can find one just as good for less, or even find a better one for the same price, so much the better. There's also an Acer Aspire 5613 on eBay Ireland (the only laptop of note in those auctions), which seems like a strong sucker. I kinda expected the price to be higher; maybe there's something I'm missing. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I had your blessing for either of these, or I'm all ears if you have an alternative. Lord knows there are far too many laptops for me to browse on the U.K. auctions. Any recommendations?

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Ive had a vaio desktop pc for a few years and it's always been good to me.

Would go with the one you can modify the most for future updating. PC software/hardware tech is increasing fast, need a laptop that can always adapt to change.

You probably know more about pc specs than me so good luck finding the right one

3. lookinglasself

lookinglasself 1.21 Jigowatts

I, too, have had a Sony VAIO desktop for a long time and it's never taken a dump on me. From what I know/hear, stay away from Acer. I have an HP Pavilion laptop and it's great! My father just bought a Toshiba Satellite and it's nice as well. Either of these (HP/Toshiba) are highly recommended.

You can get a quality laptop with 2GB RAM, ~200 gig HD, and a nice processor for around $800 now.

It all depends on what she needs it for.

You can't go wrong with a Sony, though.

4. nic28

nic28 warrior

For a laptop hp is the only way to go don't waste your money on acer.I have a acer aspire 5100 to make it run better i had to upgrade memory to 2gig from 1gig

5. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Laptops are kind of hard to go wrong with in most cases, as long as you stick to a respected brand. As the other guys have mentioned, the Sony VAIO laptops are pretty good as is the case with most Sony products... They do tend to be priced kind of on the high end when compared to similar systems by other manufacturers, again, as is the case with most Sony products.

I personally own a 5 or 6 year old HP laptop that has been pretty reliable though the battery has long since lost its will to live. Oddly the little mute button on the side also quit working shortly after I first bought it. I will admit that the only reason I bought the HP lappy was because it was literally the cheapest thing on the shelf by atleast a $100.

One brand that I'd recommend is Asus. They've been a highly respected parts manufacturer for a long time and have broken into the market of selling full computers just within the last few years. The company I work for has actually switched away from Sony laptops to using Asus laptops for price and performance reasons (We write computer software thats very graphically intensive). Thus far the Asus laptops have been really good to us in terms of capability and reliability, not to mention the more attractive price.

As I said, its hard to go really wrong with laptops in general and you'll hear that everyone has a different story about who they like/hate. The only brands that I'll flat out tell you to stay away from are E-Machines and Gateways. Just don't.

6. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Acer does boast some nice higher end hardware and a buddy of mine recently bought a really high end model and I will say that it seems he's had a few small issues with it. But then.... he's a big time techy like me and the rule of thumb is, the more you do with it (more complicated or sophisticated the parts) the more goes wrong. Just my two cents on that brand.

7. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

toshiba has always been a name i trust.... wont buy anything else

8. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

get a mac!!

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i second Toshiba...i have one, even if its a lower model than something i would of gotten if i were to have gotten it online (it was the top one the PX had while i was overseas - lame)...

the only bad thing i can say about mines is that its a Celeron and the battery life sucks (no DVD-ROM use will make it last for 1.5 hours)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008