Looking For A New Fighter

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by gettogaara, Jul 4, 2012.

1. gettogaara

gettogaara Well-Known Member

Okay so I'm trying to get my hands on a new fighting game since I've gotten pretty bored with SoulCaliburV. I've got three in mind and I'll explain why I'm leaning towards them or sort of straying away.

Mortal Kombat (Komplete Edition)- Okay so I've only ever played one MK game and it was MK Deception for gamecube. Main reason why I'm leaning towards this one is because Kratos is in it and he's one of my favorite video game characters of all time.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3- Looking at the gameplay for this one, I've been interested in it for a while now. However, one of my friends told me that it gets boring really quick which is why I sort of backed away from it.

SF x Tekken- This one has the best scores, having a 9 on pretty much every site but there's so many problems I have with it. First of all like the other two this is'nt the inevitable special edition or anything like that. Second the whole disc locked content and the fact that you have to buy the characters for $20 is a major turnoff. Finally, I heard that a Tekken x SF would be released in Tekken's art style which I prefer.

So which of these three do you think I should get or do you have another reccomendation for me? I'm going to be playing them on the Ps3 if that makes a diffrence.

2. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your friend was right, UMVC 3 gets boring quick. Have you played regular MVC 3 before? If not I guess it's worth a pick up but I don't know many people who still play it anymore.

Mortal Kombat is good, but once again it's a case of if your looking to play online. The community is full of spammers and often even finding a match can be a pain. Aside from that, there's a ton of other modes like the Kyrpt where you can unlock new fatalities and alts. So there's plenty to keep you busy.

Out of these three I think I'd have to go with SFxT. I, for one, find the gem system really helpful. And the customization is a nice feat too.

3. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I'd say MK way over the other 2. Bought all 3 on launch, (Well, normal MVC not ultimate) and the other 2 got old very fast, due to either being broken or just not great. Freidns and I just started playing MK again after all these months after getting out of SCV ourselves, and its still a blast.

4. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

Mor
    tal
    kom
    baaaaaaaat!

5. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Wait for Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

6. gettogaara

Hmm so 1 for SF x T and 2 for Mortal Kombat. The thing with SF x T is that I feel like in a few months some sort of special edition will come out with all of the characters like capcom always tends to do lol.

Yeah I'll be getting that too but it won't be out for a couple of more months.

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Sf x T is terrible in regards to gameplay, you have no reason to ever do more than the same combo string over and over and over again.

VF5:Final Showdown is a must have game or I agree wait for Tekken Tag Tournament 2

8. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
  9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, I would say immediately look at Skullgirls and VF5 because you can download free trials for those.

Super Street Fighter IV AE is dirt cheap now, and it still has a lot of people playing it.
    But Capcom titles have really suffered since then.
    MvC3 is full of infinite combo loops so many matches online result in your getting hit once and then watching a two minute combo play out until your character gets eliminated.

And SFxT not only suffers from the 'there's really only one combo you need to learn' as Recall mentioned, but the worst enemy is the clock. Two thirds of my matches online have resulted in the opponent getting a lead and then just jumping away until the timer ran out. Plus you should add $40 to the cost of the game if you want to open everything locked away on the disc.

I recently bought KOF XIII for $30 and it's quite excellent.

10. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Street Fighter IV, yeah it's not on your list but it's still one of the best fighters out there.

But if you only want to pick among these 3 that you mentioned, I'd rate them as follows:

MK
    SFxT
    UMvC

I am getting back to MK recently and trying new fighters. Despite buying all the DLC chars I still prefer ones that come with the game.

11. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Blazblue! Continuum Shift is cheap, but Continuum Shift Extend will have more players online. It's a very different feeling fighting game than Capcom fighters, but it's still satisfyingly technical and there's a lot to learn and enjoy from both a single player and multi-player standpoint.

12. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Ehh. I didn't really like MK, so I'm biased against it.

Between the Capcom ones, I'd say UMvC3. It's essentially touch of death, but at least it's varied between like 15 different characters :lol 
    SFxT is just Ken and Kazuya performing the same combo all day, every day. Also, the clock is an extreme annoyance (It never slows or stops, meaning the extremely long animations make you worry more about how much time it's taking rather than how much damage it's doing).

Outside of the 3 you mentioned, Skullgirls is solid, a kinda small roster, but each character feels unique. I haven't personally played VA5, but I've watched videos and heard lots of good things about it, and it looks great. Hell, you could also go back to the past and get SF3 or 2. They're still tons of fun.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Blazblue is pretty good too, I guess. The only character I really liked was Arakuna :lol 

13. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

As someone who spent $305 on MK, I'm going to vote for that.

It kind of depends on what you plan on playing. MK has an awsome and long story mode as well as the challenge tower. Online isn't dead, but most of the people stilll playing will spam specials or do the same incredibly cheap combo over and over. It can get boring after fighting the same character doing the same stuff round after round.

I really enjoyed UMvC3. I was terrible at MvC2 but could hold my own in 3 and it was simple enough that I was doing all the cool stuff I saw people do with MvC2

14. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    As the biggest KOF fan on here I feel terrible for forgetting to suggest KOF13. It is amazing and totally worth a purchase. It is as rewarding as you want it to be and it has a pretty perfect balance when it comes to the complexity. Get it!

15. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I third this. It's a really fun game.

Blazblue Continuum Shift: Extend is also a great buy.

16. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

If we're going outside the list, i'd throw in a vote for Blazblue too. After paying SF4 for a while, it was kinda like a breath of fresh air. Good characters, good mechanics (although at high level the combos get pretty ridiculous) and a pretty odd "story". Lots of fun though.

17. gettogaara

I tried the demo out for it and couldn't really get into it. Seemed like a decent fighter but it just wasn't for me. I usually like games with more characters anyway.

Yeah I play SF4 already. No real story or anything and unlike Soul Calibur it didn't have the character creation system to keep me interested.

So far three of you suggested Blazblue. I've heard about it but never really played it or taken a close look at it. Does it have a storyline?

18. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Blazblue definitely has a story - whether or not you can reasonably follow it is another matter entirely. The story structure of the game is splintered where each character in the game has their own individual story - some are as simple as "the cat girl got thrown out of the village because the elder wanted her to learn to be more competent" and others involve future selves, time paradoxes, immortal vampires, and sentient scout drones that have touched the edge of the universe and become self aware. There's an overarching story that ties all the little stories together but in all honesty it's kind of impenetrable anime nonsense a lot of the time.

Despite all that, the single player content, if you like single player stuff in your fighters (I do!), is extensive and really fun. It gives you a good reason to pick up the different fighters and try them all out, because they all play drastically different from each other. It also lets you see how extensive the developers were in programming in character specific interactions - just about every character has a different intro dialogue or animation that's specific for every other opponent, and many will have custom dialogue in-fight that replaces the standard "take this!" and "yaa!" sounds. That said, you have to be prepared to deal with VERY talky fighting game characters:

Blazblue Continuum Shift: R-1(Noel) vs Kaqn(Tsubaki,Ragna) - YouTube

19. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    If you don't want to wait, or need something while waiting for a new fighting game, play MK or SFXT. UMvC 3 and MvC 3 get boring pretty quick, as all you can do is either arcade or online play or missions.

I like MK the most, though I don't have SFXT yet. MK isn't as complex as Capcom's fighting games, has a tutorial mode (gives glares at UMvC 3), and it's just a ton of fun. Beware though: I don't know if it still happens, but on MK, there may be cheap players. (Ex. Noob Saibot's Teleport Slam. Some players may do this over and over.)

20. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

SF4 is head and shoulders better than those three games on your list imo. I think the game is actually getting better with age whereas those other three are going the complete opposite direction. If I had to recommend one to you I'd go with MK only because I think the other two are just terrible games.