Looking for a new computer.. any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by One, Jan 6, 2011.

1. One

One Well-Known Member

I'm looking for something I can use to play games (single player) on and it can hold programs like photoshop on it with out slowing the system down.

Any Suggestions would help.

2. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Laptop or Desktop?

Windows or Mac?

Price Range?

3. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    Try a first-gen Samsung q1, great little computer, as fully functional as a big laptop and not pricey at all if fortunate.

4. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Exactly what I would like to know as well. I could send you a few links to a few places that sell computers but those 3 are the most important to now.

5. One

One Well-Known Member

Desktop

Windows

Less then a thousand if that's possible.

6. One

One Well-Known Member

.....anyone?....

.......bueller?

7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HP makes dual, quad, and six core desktops now. All with 4, 6, or 8 GBs of RAM. And you can add a graphics card upgrade in their configuration menu. All under a $1,000.00 and more than capable of performing your tasks.

8. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

If you're capable of building one on your own then you can make a pretty decent gaming machine for under $1000. If you do a bit of research it's not all that hard, and you'll get EXACTLY what you want instead of having something that you feel you need more ram for later, or a better video card, etc. I just built myself a pretty decent system over Christmas for a little under $750. I already had a monitor though, so if you need one of those you'll need to throw in the cost for that, but it'll still be easy to do under $1000.

AMD Phenom 2 965BE Quad Core
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia GTX 460 1GB video card
    320GB OS HD and a 1TB for storage

It's a pretty decent machine, I've been more than happy with it. I pieced it together using parts that I got from Newegg and Tigerdirect. It's really not hard putting a PC together if you've ever assembled anything else. If you get a half decent case to put everything in it can make things easier too. I got an Antec 300 Illusion case, it came with 4 fans already installed and the thing is running nice and cool.

As far as the processor goes, you won't really need a hex-core for gaming, those are more useful for intense video editing or photoshopping. AMD processors are cheaper than Intel, but any Phenom 2 Quad core will be just fine for gaming. You can probably get away with 4GB of ram too, although it's not that much more expensive to buy 8 anyway.

Did a quick search for a relatively comparable system to mine and I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229206
    By building it myself I saved about $100. As well, you can read reviews and choose the manufacturer of every component in my machine so that you knew it's being built with quality parts. Since you put it together yourself everything is modular, so if you have a problem with just one component you can easily replace it or upgrade it without feeling like you have to shell out the cash for an entirely new tower or something. It's definitely the way to do things. I built my first PC back in 2003 and this is the second I ever built from scratch. However, the one I built before had been upgraded gradually over time so that aside from the hard drive there was nothing left from the original 2003 build, as parts were just replaced on an as need basis over the years. It's makes upgrading a lot cheaper, and a lot easier than if you're dealing with a system built by a big company like HP or Dell.

9. One

One Well-Known Member

Yeah my current pc is custom built but I didn't build it someone did it for me but I'll try my hand at doing it myself.

thanks for the info guys.

10. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't let it scare you. It can be educational and a lot of fun.
    The only catch is the warranty system. Each component has one, while a big box store model covers everything top to bottom.

11. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
  12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I fully agree. You learn so much from putting a machine together yourself, and that is VERY handy if you ever need to sort out any problem that might develop down the line, or want to upgrade anything.
    Plus, there's a hell of a sense of achievment from building your own PC. I'll never buy off-the-shelf again if I can help it.