Looking for a new anime

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Embryoyo, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

I'm sure there has been posts like this before (so, sorry) but I really want a new anime to get into. I like more serious adult kind of anime and also some good action with comedy long if it's not too kiddish. By the way I HATE naruto so please don't mention that.

Anime I have so far

Guyver Out of Control
    Guyver 12 part OVA
    Guyver (the new series)
    Elfein Lied
    Death Note
    Desert Punk
    Full Metal Panic!
    Ergo Proxy
    This Ugly Yet Beautiful World
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Yu Yu Hakusho
    Gunslinger Girl

Out of the list I have I really really enjoy Guyver, Elfin Lied, Desert Punk and Death Note the most out of what I own, though I do like the others listed otherwise I wouldn't have bought them :tongue: 

Stuff with blood, gore,(Guyver, Elfin Lied) and funny sexual stuff (like Desert Punk) is always a + cause that shit cracks me up :lol  long if it has a good story involved and not just some random crap.

2. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Have you tried "Fullmetal Panic? Fumoffu"?

I'd also recommend Azumanga Daioh, Gurren Lagann, Neon Genesis Evangelion or any of the Tenchi series (the OVA being the most popular).

....those seem like pretty generic recommendations. I'm sorry :( 

Also, Elfen Lied FTW

3. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here come some more mainstream ideas. Blood+ I enjoyed and it had gore galore. I think of it as that kind of anime Joss Whedon would make if he made an anime. Very feminist.

I second Gurren Lagann also. It is fantastic and you should go out right now and buy it and watch it. Don't go to work. Don't go to school. Just sit and watch it. Because it is amazing. Funny, with giant robot action, and very profound themes. Love it. :) 

And ima gonna say try Bleach. The English version keeps a good amount of gore but there is always more in the subbed Japanese versions. One Piece and Naruto are the same way though if you watch One Piece, DON'T EVEN CONSIDER THE ENGLISH DUB. It will break your soul. Not kidding. (At least the 4Kids dub. The new Funimation one is supposed to be much better but from what I have seen, doesn't keep some of the charm that the original Japanese voices have.)

4. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't believe that I would be the first person to come along and recommend Berserk. Berserk has quite a bit of blood and gore. In fact, there are few episodes without it. Despite this, the series is very strong thematically. The main character is very well-developed throughout the series, as are a few other core characters. The animation isn't fantastic and the art style isn't flashy, but everything else about it more than makes up for it. Out of all the anime series that I own, have watched as fansubs, and rented, if I could only ever watch one ever again, this would be the one.

Another good one with blood and gore would be Blue Gender. Not as much human blood and gore, though. Some mecha action throughout. Lots of twists and turns in the story. Can be a bit oppressive at times. The ending is also a little disappointing, as prior to that there had been hoped raised for a better resolution.

If you can, try renting Gantz. Lots of blood and gore there, too. The problem is the with the last part, the 4th hunt. It's disappointing and is vague and confusing. There's a reason for this, though. They started making the anime before the 4th hunt had even been done in the originating manga. Basically, they made something up to try to close out the show and it wasn't good. The rest of the series is really good, though.

The 3 that I've noted above are all a little bit older. You can buy the first two series for $37 each at one site that I just quickly looked at. Gantz is more costly, though, which is why I recommended a rental.

I do have a recommendation on a series to avoid, like the plague - Rahxephon. It tried to capitalize on the mysterious mecha style of Evangelion. It tried to add more flash to all the designs and make everything seem very mysterious, but it all falls apart into a trash heap at the end. Avoidit unless you like wasting your time by staring at pretty things with no meaning.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about Gurren Lagann. I'll add in on recommending that. It continually goes over-the-top. When you thought things had gotten as big as they could, they go over-the-top again. And it keeps doing that until the end. Gainax's greatest work yet, which is saying something considering what other anime series they've created.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  5. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Trigun

Cowboy Bebop

Blue Gender (as mentioned)

Ruroni Kenshin

6. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Gurren Lagann (like most fellas on this MB)
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Fafner
    Please Twins/Teacher
    Str.A.In: Strategic Armored Infantry
    Moon Phase
    Lunar Legend Tsukihime
    Heroic Age
    Azumanga Daioh
    School Rumble
    Genshiken
    Code Geass
    Gundam 00
    Zegapain
    Hayate the Combat Butler
    Familiar of Zero
    Yukikaze

7. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Cowboy Bebop.

Instant classic.

8. jackets

jackets Gamer/Anime fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    can dbz count

9. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I was gonna recommend Berserk and Gantz myself. Berserk is hard to beat when it comes to graphic, serious fantasy work. Can't wait for the next chapter to finally come out. Also wondering about the screens floating around suggest new anime work. Hope it happens.

Gotta go with the Gurren Lagann love as well. Great show, lots of insane fun.

If you like Full Metal Panic, give The Second Raid a show. Its darker and more violent than the first series and follows up on major plot points. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is great. Probably one of the more intelligently written series.

Also Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate, especially Ultimate. Lots of fun violence and humor.

10. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Thirding Berserk, it sounds right up your alley.

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Gurren Lagann, you can not go wrong with gurren lagann

Vandread: one of the best animes ever

Cowboy Bebop:a classic, very good

12. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

Thanks for all the post guys, I will make a list and check them all out when I can.

Omnus, I was thinking about Gantz I went to amazon.com and read reviews and it kinda turned me off on it but still not sure. My best buy has season 1 & 2 together for only 29.99 if I remember right.

realCliffjumper: I do like Blood+ saw a few eps, want to get to the boxset but my best buy didn't have it when I went to go get some anime so I got somethin else instead i do plan on getting it and found out Part 2 of the boxset comes out in Oct I cant wait :)  I do own Bleach Season 1 and 2, couldn't remember everything I have :lol  still need season 3

Takara_destron: first off, love the name haven't seen Fullmetal Panic? Fumoffu, ordered it 3 days ago off ebay so i should be getting that sometime next week :)  I also haven't seen all of FMP! yet either, I bought it off ebay and waiting for that and Fumoffu to arrive.

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Pretty much agree with this, except EVA. Just not a fan of that show.

Azumanga Daioh is a brilliant series with a fantastic dub. Dub Osaka is one of my favorite anime characters.

Out of the Tenchi stuff, I'd highly recommend GxP. It's one of the few anime series that I enjoy watching in it's entirety, repeatedly. Also, unlike the main series, it actually resolves it's "harem comedy" plot in the most hilarious and awesome way possible. Another series tied to Tenchi is Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventures. It deals with parallel universes, and is itself a parallel universe to Tenchi.

If you can find it, I'd highly recommend Mazinkaiser. I haven't seen the dub, but the OVA series is totally worth having.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is another great series with a fantastic dub. All of the VAs work great together.

Godanner is an awesome mecha show. It also has a shitload of fan service.

Gun Buster and Gun Buster 2: Diebuster are two shows that are must sees. I can't really explain the sheer awesome.

And if you don't have a problem with watching a childrens show, then The King of Braves Gaogaigar is a must see.

The three Getter Robo OVA series are also fuckwin. Getter Robo Armageddon, Neo Getter Robo x Shin Getter Robo, and New Getter Robo are all awesome, and none of them are connected to each other, so you can watch them in any order. Armageddon is tied to the original series, but it's not required to see.

Hell no you did not just diss Rahxephon. That show was infinitely better than the overhyped Evangelion.

14. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Yay, someone else who likes GXP! :D 
    I second the recommendation for this, but, while it is possible to watch this series with little to no Tenchi knowledge I think you get far more out of it if you've atleast watched some of the OVA first.

15. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    <Smacks head> D'OH!

Well, I wasn't going for putting on many for a list since I'm not exactly sure of what Embryoyo was looking for, but yeah, I've got all of these in my collection for good reason.

Cowboy Bebop - definitely a classic. Also the first show where not a single sane (and some of the insane ones) member of the sub-only crowd could say the sub was better than the dub. Fantastic dub, the original director of the series even stated that he far preferred it to the original Japanese vocal performances. Very little gore, some blood, great stories.

Trigun - Another great series. Huge amounts of humor, but also a couple of real heartbreaking moments near the end of the series. Not much for blood or gore, but a darn good story (as it builds into a coherent one).

Vandread - another one in my collection, that I personally enjoy (and have watched more than once). No blood and guts, humor is mostly harem comedy, still a good story. Really slick and shiny Gonzo CGI. Some other more recent anime have higher-quality, less-jarring CGI, but this stuff still stands out for me.

Just a difference of opinion here.

There's no doubt that Evangelion was (and is) over-hyped, but it's a Gainax classic for its time, just like Gunbuster was a Gainax classic for its time.

Rahxephon was... let me drop the things I was going to say as unnecessary. I'm just going to say that I consider it a waste of time, IMHO.

I know I've basically just thrown out fighting words here, and I'm sorry. It's just my honest and strong opinion on the matter. I can tell yours varies greatly, though, and I respect that.

Well, I haven't read the Amazon reviews, but I would bet that many of the complaints have to do with the ending/4th hunt. It would've been a much better series if they just somehow left off after the 3rd hunt with a vague dread/anticipation angle for Kei on what was to come and left it at that.

I don't know exactly what about the reviews turned you off, so I can neither alleviate your concerns nor tell you instead that your concerns are justified.

About the only thing I can say is I spent alot more for Gantz when I got it than what you're noting there, since it was brand new at the time.

If you're looking for a story with resolution, you won't find it with Gantz. The originating manga has continued on much further and there are still big questions from the beginning that are unresolved, even with recent revelations (the manga is currently on a few months hiatus in Japan as the creator takes time to gear up for what is to come, since he had just initiated an apparent apocalypse situation which turned everything on its ear).

(Don't know if any of that last paragraph meant anything at all for you, sorry.)

Crap. I haven't been looking. I'd love it if you could point me in the direction of those screens. More anime of Berserk would be glorious, I had just given up any possibility of hope since it had been so long.

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    The best way to do it is watch all but the last Tenchi OVA, then GXP, then the last OVA episode. GXP references stuff up to that point a lot, and the last OVA references GXP.

Also, another good show is Zegapain.

OH OH! How could I forget one of the greatest OVAs of all time, Giant Robo the Animation!? If you get this, you need to make sure you get the Ginrei special DVD, too.

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Samurai Champloo!

18. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

AICN - The Next Film By Ghibli Co-Founder Isao Takahata, Urasawa's Monster on US TV, Ooku, Claymore an Blade of the Immortal.... -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news. <-- About halfway down the page, or a their link is here. Full source thread is here. Not sure if they're real or not, but I hope so.

19. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    One show I just finished recently that was really good was Hajime no Ippo. Heard about this show for ages and never thought much of it, picked up the complete series on DVD at Anime North this year and was pleasantly surprised. Don't let the subject matter or episode count discourage you though it's a pretty awesome show, like I said took me by surprise on how good it actually was.

20. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    wow no one has said Bleach?

I recomend Bleach you said you dont like random stuff so I recomend skipping the filler eps and just sticking with the main story its awesome

but after your caught up then watch the Filler and movies cause its all good