Customs: Looking for a lil help with Iron Hide/Ratchet

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Moonstreaker, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Hey guys...this is my first post. I'm in the process of turning 2 Skids alternators into Ironhide and Ratchet, but I can't figure out what to do with the doors. Any ideas or advice from anyone who might have donethis would be greatly appreciated.

Also trying to figure out a way to safely strip the paint off of Smokescreen w/o damaging the plastic. What would you guys recomend?

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I haven't stripped a Smokescreen, but if the paint/deco is similar to the flame decos on Alt Ricochet, it comes off easily with some Isopropyl alcohol. I barely had to soak it, and it rubbed off quickly, cleanly and easily.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time that they used paints on similar figures with different levels of resiliency. Good luck... I've been thinking of doing the same to my Smokescreen, so let us know how it goes. :) 

zmog

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I haven't stripped a Smokescreen, but if the paint/deco is similar to the flame decos on Alt Ricochet, it comes off easily with some Isopropyl alcohol. I barely had to soak it, and it rubbed off quickly, cleanly and easily.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time that they used paints on similar figures with different levels of resiliency. Good luck... I've been thinking of doing the same to my Smokescreen, so let us know how it goes. :) 

zmog

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I have stripped a Smokescreen, and it's not as easy. Alot of the stuff comes off easy, but the green stripes are a bitch. I got them off by soaking in Simple Green. However, I do not recommend this method as it had bad effects on him. About two months later, I picked him up and he just fell apart in my hands. The hinges disintegrated. Literally turned super brittle.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I have stripped a Smokescreen, and it's not as easy. Alot of the stuff comes off easy, but the green stripes are a bitch. I got them off by soaking in Simple Green. However, I do not recommend this method as it had bad effects on him. About two months later, I picked him up and he just fell apart in my hands. The hinges disintegrated. Literally turned super brittle.

6. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    90% aclohol will take care of the stripping of Skids. You can either soak it and then rub it off with a q-tip or dip the q-tip in the alcohol and just start rubbing away. Either one works the same it's just a metter of you patience. There are no ill effects to this method.

I've no advice on the doors, sorry.

7. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    90% aclohol will take care of the stripping of Skids. You can either soak it and then rub it off with a q-tip or dip the q-tip in the alcohol and just start rubbing away. Either one works the same it's just a metter of you patience. There are no ill effects to this method.

I've no advice on the doors, sorry.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I used 90% alcohol and Q-tips to remove the door flames as well as the window tint on my Alternators Soundblaster*end shameless plug* Just be careful on the transparent parts and you'll be fine. :thumb 

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I used 90% alcohol and Q-tips to remove the door flames as well as the window tint on my Alternators Soundblaster*end shameless plug* Just be careful on the transparent parts and you'll be fine. :thumb 

10. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I re-stripped a figure that I miss-painted (is that a word?) with the 90% alchohol. It really does work very well. Took the Krylon right of. I guess it would work with factory paint as well.

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I re-stripped a figure that I miss-painted (is that a word?) with the 90% alchohol. It really does work very well. Took the Krylon right of. I guess it would work with factory paint as well.

12. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    Cool, I had plan on using diluted alcohol, but wasn't sure if it would distort the color of the plastic. Thanks for clearing that up. I know there aare guys who have made the doors on othe Alts fold away. Hopefully they will chime in. :cool: 

13. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    Cool, I had plan on using diluted alcohol, but wasn't sure if it would distort the color of the plastic. Thanks for clearing that up. I know there aare guys who have made the doors on othe Alts fold away. Hopefully they will chime in. :cool: 

14. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    Huh, I just sanded the hell outta them

15. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    Huh, I just sanded the hell outta them

16. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    What are you talking about? I was talking about making the doors fold away behind the back like that one guy did with BumbleBee (Jazz/Meister)

17. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    What are you talking about? I was talking about making the doors fold away behind the back like that one guy did with BumbleBee (Jazz/Meister)

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Are you talking about giving Skids scissor doors, where they fold up instead of opening out? If so, this might be a slightly more difficult mod than messing around with the doors on, say, the Honda Alternators (Windcharger, Prowl.) Because the doors for Skids are pinned to the bottom frame of the Scion Xb, you'd have to either construct a setup where both door and frame could rotate out OR separate the door from its frame entirely and then build a separate door-opening assembly.

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Are you talking about giving Skids scissor doors, where they fold up instead of opening out? If so, this might be a slightly more difficult mod than messing around with the doors on, say, the Honda Alternators (Windcharger, Prowl.) Because the doors for Skids are pinned to the bottom frame of the Scion Xb, you'd have to either construct a setup where both door and frame could rotate out OR separate the door from its frame entirely and then build a separate door-opening assembly.

20. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Yeah, that does sound hard. Not at that level yet.