Looking for a good database/book with prices!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mega Convoy, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Mega Convoy

Mega Convoy Well-Known Member

Been a while since I looked around at values. Can someone recommend a good database (besides ebay) that has good pictures for sticker placement reference, parts ID, and prices? Also, what's the best most comprehensive book with all this stuff available right now? I'm sure there are probably dozens, but what's generally the best in price and content?

2. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Hiro Prime of this board's Cybertronian Field Guides are great (plug plug), if you can find one on eBay or I'm sure some comic shops may still have some.

3. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    No book is going to have accurate prices, you have to use Ebay.

4. Mega Convoy

Ebay used to be good, but now it's all about hype and what's "new" and are there 10 more identical items on there at that exact time. Do you want to sell your original MIB Optimus for $50 just because some KO's are on there at the same time for the same price? I'm sure not gonna. It shouldn't be that way but it is. Ebay is far from accurate.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Who defines what is "accurate", though? There isn't a divine authority somewhere up in the skies that sets a price for a 20-year-old toy that is supposed to be accepted as "accurate" by everyone except for eBay sellers with outrageous expectations. Prices are always set by supply and demand.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Right, but you can't go on Ebay and decide exactly what price you're going to set for something based on the same price for ONE other listing. Ebay is nice because it offers a field of price points; if the average price for a certain listing is close to what you're considering as your price point, then the the research is done and you can list your item for that amount. If the average price for a certain listing is somehow off, either your appraisal of the toy is off OR there are KOs influencing the toy's sale on average.

Ebay may be far from accurate, but it's the fastest, easiest, most accessible knowledge pool for just which toys are selling for how much.

7. Mega Convoy

Ok granted, but if you don't plan on selling right off, but just want a general idea for your own personal information, and a more general price range? I'm looking for something akin to Toyfare or Lee's just maybe a bit more updated. I plan on picking up a new book when I get a good idea what's the best choice. With pictures, weapon ID, etc. Just a good thorough reference with general prices. Like all the Star Wars books you know?

Of course the ideal would be a free website with this information. ;) 

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Call one of your local comic shops that sell toys. Most of them use one and can probably direct you where to get one.

Best bet would be to use eBay and to compete with those auctions if you're going to sell.

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I don't understand people who say ebay isn't "accurate". ebay is by far the best gauge of what things are selling for, because it's where the majority of stuff gets sold and because it makes it very simple to search those listings. There are not many things within the realm of Transformers where you can't search completed listings and find several examples by which to gauge the average selling price.

You don't sell a MIB Optimus Prime for $50 because there are Optimus Prime KO's...you gauge it against other legitimate MIB Optimus Prime toys. And if the KOs are affecting how much people are willing to pay for an original, tough shit. That's capitalism. It doesn't make it not true just because you want to ignore market factors that aren't in your favor.

In my experience, people who think ebay isn't accurate either think their stuff is worth more than it is, or wish they could buy things that sell for more than they can afford.