looking for a definitive ironhide/ratchet update.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so here's the basic question. if money was absolutely no object, which versions of ironhide and ratchet would you rather have in your collection of classic/update/universe figures and, more importantly WHY--the 2005 botcon versions or the new universe/henkei mold.

I've pretty much focused my collecting on g1 update figures, and am having the biggest time figuring out which of these figures are better, since the botcon molds have the whole overall "battle platform" going on, whereas the universe mold (which I've never held in person) seems to have more articulation and bulk.

2. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Go Universe for both of them hands down.

For the Why: Because they both look good, have no chrome, are articulated and aren't parts formers. Plus they are pretty damn cheap.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

but, but

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

because they are cheaper, and they fit the g1 characters more. like he said.

5. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

Personally, I have both of the botcon ones. They cost me a bit, but I love em. I really dig the battle platforms, it is a nice throwback to the G1 versions. I cant say I really like the new updated classics 2.0 ones. Im just not sold on the vehicle mode. Number one, it doesnt feel like ironhide/ratchet and number two, I cant stand all the separations in the figure. It just doesnt look as clean as the botcon ones. Also, I feel the classics 2.0 ones just dont fit in with the rest of my "classics" series for some reason.

Just my 2 cents. They arent bad figures, I just prefer the botcon ones.

~Kiyoshi

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

alright, I'll fess up: I have the botcon ones, so that's why I said that cost was no option, and I'd still like to remove cost from the issue. I'm just sort of thinking about if I the universe ones are better figures

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    no, the question you should be asking is "Is Cartoon accuracy or Toy accuracy more important to me?" Because there's the whole crux of the issue. The BotCon repaints are basically updated G1 toys, whereas the new ones are the first cartoon accurate versions of the characters (modernized, of course).

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say the Universe toys are better figures/TF toys overall, but they do have more proportionate and detailed robot modes. (Also more kibbly, but the Botcon toys just discard about half of the vehicle mode) Also Universe Ratchet and Ironhide have (or WILL have) distinctly different heads, instead of the 'halfway between' head mold the Botcon item uses for both.

On the basis of vehicle mode and just 'being a fun toy', I give it to the Botcon toys hands down. The universe toys are annoying to transform and look like broken vases in vehicle mode. The 'mobile base' of the Botcon toys adds a little variation and interest, though to others it would just be a big accessory to set aside while in robot mode.

In my opinion there's no clear winner, as the strengths of each are in totally different places, making one's personal priorities the final word.

9. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

THIS!

Oh yeah, I could be thinking differently if the Universe figures where just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle bit bigger.

10. Lord Prime S.

Lord Prime S. Well-Known Member

We can't get the BotCon Ironhide and Ratchet without paying a bomb the size of Hiroshima here to get it :( 

Personally, I don't like the TFU Ironhide, it sucks. I'd go with Botcon any day. The TFU version just sucks so much and it doesn't feel like a Classics toy unlike Prowl and Sunstreaker.

11. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd definitely go Henkei. Looks the best out of all of them.

12. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Since you already have the Botcon ones, why not go ahead and pick up the Universe versions as well, then you can compare them yourself?

I don't have the Botcon ones, but I do have Towline and I'd have to agree with Redline. It all depends on what kind of accuracy/update you're looking for. The Towline mold did a great job of updating the original mold, while the new Universe mold is great for showing us a modern version of the character.

13. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I have the Botcon guys too, and I really like how they're a bit more like the G1 figures with the platform, seperate robot mode, and a 'van' alt mode. So I didn't really care about the Universe ones existing. But for $7.77 at Wal-mart, why not pick them up? I wouldn't think of bothering with the Henkei guys though.

14. Pasaway

Pasaway Well-Known Member

nope you don't want that Botcon Ratchet.
    so I'll tell you want I'm going to do for you.
    I'll buy the Henkei Ratchet or the universe one, which every you like.
    then we can trade straight across :ev: 

all kidding aside, i love the botcon Ratchet mold. to me he's more accurate version of the original, and that's just my opinion. But there is no way i would drop that much money on him. I think of the new universe mold as the poor mans Ratchet, and the henkei is the middle class Ratchet :D 

course you could buy all three, and then do an online review and comparrison between all 4 (G1, botcon, Universe, & Henkei) afterward if you don't like one or two of them, i'm sure you could sell them in the junkion.

15. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Henkei. Universe Ironhide and Ratchet look pretty bad and Botcon Ironhide and Ratchet have goofy heads (the concept was a good one though because Tow-Line may be my favorite Energon deluxe).

16. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I say do what I'm going to do. Get both Univers/Henkei Ratchet and Ironhide, and repaint a couple of tow-lines using sculptbot's heads.

17. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

a bit of the problem I had initially was that I tried repainting a towline, but all of the different joints made a lot of paint rub off during transformation, even with filing down some of the plastic.

but thanks guys, I think I might just pick up a universe ironhide at walmart, see how it is, and take it back if I really don't like it.

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    As a mold, I vastly prefer Ironhide to Tow-Line. It evokes the character more, has the snap-on weapon that replaces the fist, and it isn't scrawny. And Tow-Line has more of a snowboard than a weapons deck anyway.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't seen what the BotCon variants look like, but after looking at E:Towline, and studying from the Radicon Masters, i'd be willing to spend a few bucks for a pair of loose Towlines and painting them in G1 colors.
    I am no fan of the top heavy, and spindly legs of it; still, there is more to Towline's look that agrees with me than the worn out Rubik's Cube look of TFU Ironhide- and soon Ratchet.

the battle station part of Towline is fairly decent.

IMHO Towline can be an easy, affordable update of G1 characters. and it has a head!!!!

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Universe. They are by no means perfect but they're a better update than the Energon Towline mold. Sure they're vans and they have the accessory pack but the robot modes are horribly anorexic looking and have little resemblance to Ironhide and Ratchet outside of having windows on the chest.