Looking back

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Moy, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    What interviews, photos, videos etc. gave you a slight optimistic view towards TF5? If any.

For me it was this collider interview, and how Dinobots, more precisely Grimlock, had a shot of a bigger role in the movie. That was one reason I was waiting to see the new movie.

‘The Last Knight’ Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura Reveals How a ‘Transformers’ Movie Is Made

Then this image surfaced:
    [​IMG]

My second biggest reason I wanted a Transformers 5.

The so called language of the creators. The group of aliens that Lockdown spoke to Optimus about, and didn't make it to the film.

• Like Like x 5
  2. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Return of Barricade, Megatron kick-assimus look, Quintessa, Vivian, New BB Camaro, Hawt Rawd, the big structure in the ocean, knights, the tentacled planet, evil Optimus Prime

• Like Like x 1
  3. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The biggest reason was AOE, because it did so nice introduction of a BIG TF universe! The tittle also was very appealing for me:)  The second big reason - I was on the set and have seen all the hype and tons of promotional material! I usually try to retain some scepticism about the new Movie until the last month. But I could not be not hyped about TLK, because of AOE exciting finale and mysterious info about new Movie!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Rust Bucket

News Credits:
    Because everything in production looked so true to what AOE set up, with stuff like you've suggested.

Plus returning characters like Lennox made it feel promising. Did Optimus know Lennox was there?

• Like Like x 5
  5. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great topic I was wanting to discuss this myself.

Let me start by saying I do love the movie, I do, but I am highly disappointed.

For me it was the build up just as you stated, as well as the writer's room, it looked like for sure they were making something special.

But what absolutely angered me the most was the hype of the deceptions. They revealed onslaught way early and named him and that was an awesome alt mode then when it was shown to be a long haul re do I was really hyped as I loved the underused long haul design, it would finally get some love! Then the Dreadbot and the Berserker cons were revealed and again AWESOME designs that were underused were again to be put to justice.

Turns out all three characters as far as I am concerned weren't even in the movie. Aside from the intros you literally have to strain your eyes to see onslaught and dreadbot onscreen, hell the typical moviegoer wont even notice them, that's how bad it is!

Were they meant to have a bigger role and it got cut for budget early on? we will likely never know, but why oh why did they release the decepticon secret files and then not use them, THAT was what finally hyped me and after the ghost town ambush I was pissed. Mohawk, onslaught, and dreadbot gone in the blink of an eye.

The saddest part is the majority of fans complain about decipticon characterization and they gave us the biggest tease, nitro zeus came close but even Barricade was a throw away.

From G1 to RID I love the bad guys, their design, their weapons, and their comedy. When someone says TRANSFOMERS the first thing that pops in my head is G1 Soundwave and Starscream, I think a lot of fans share this nostalgia, as a kid they were the damn coolest bad guys ever.

Ok it's the movieverse, I don't have to have soundwave and starscream again(they gone) but you gave us Nitro Zeus and Onslaught and then blew or chopped their heads off before they even got going.

To me Niro's death was like this:

ILM "oh shit we are almost done with this movie and we forgot to kill off Nirto Zeus!"
    Bay "ok, ummm just have bumblebee blow his head off while he is just kinda floatin around"
    ILM "ok but what about Barricade?"
    BAY "oh fuck we did it again didn't we"

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
  6. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes this is sad, I do not disagree with you even tho I like the movie. I hope for the fan's sake that tf6 goes ahead and delves into the story set up in AOE, they can still do it with clever writing.

I was on the set of AOE and it was one of the greatest days ever (not counting kid's birth or wedding) and I have to say I saw Bay in action and he seemed pretty cool, he seems more nuts on the special features. It was unreal to be standing next to Drift, Bee, and Crosshairs not even knowing what they would transform into.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Galvatross

Galvatross Make it Mac Tonight! Veteran

There were things I was hopeful about and things I was cautious about.

I had certainly hoped that the title of the film meant that the Knight concept introduced in the previous film would be explored in a satisfying manner. I had hoped a Barricade redesign meant he would be getting a chance to shine. Why bring a character back with a new design unless it's to give him a decent role? I also hoped that the film would reveal more about the Transformer origins, and that it would continue along with more Transformers characterization like DotM and AoE.

I also suspected that there would be too many characters running around, and some characters (in this case most) would get lost in the fold, and that this film would have too much going on. It was a worry I did have.

I also found it odd how so many fans, wanting to be optimistic, would put down one or more of the previous films to make it sound like this film was going to be so much better, and I was one fan who did not jump on that bandwagon. Like when the Bee, Hound, Cade and Lennox scene in the Chicago ruins was revealed? "OMG this is better than any robot scene in RotF/DotM/AoE." "Omg this is what the last movie should have been." Yeah, sure. News flash: it wasn't the case at all. I never once thought that. If anything, this film had much fewer meaningful robot character moments than the last couple of films, and unlike the last few sequels this film's plot made much, much less sense in fictional context. Whatever. It's water under the bridge.

Having said that, I'm not going to jump on the reboot train either. I just want the sequel featuring Unicron to be done better.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  8. TUROK1134

TUROK1134 Well-Known Member

I actually thought the writer's room meant they were actually going to try to tie off all the loose ends that the previous movies had. How naive I was.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Galvatross

It's almost like the writers had something against one or more of the previous films and wanted to distance themselves as much as possible from the previous continuity. All right, maybe not as far as possible given there are still previously appearing characters and even the Knight Ship that show up, but it's like they didn't want anything to do with Galvatron, the Seed, Transformium, the Creators, etc. It's like they were critics of the previous films and wanted to distance themselves from things they didn't like in those films, and in the process they made the continuity much worse.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They confused easter eggs with continuity.

• Like Like x 4
  11. theswimmer06

theswimmer06 Well-Known Member

I felt tlk was also trying to be the CU intro like AOE but gotta distracted with a lot of pointless bullshittery to the point where people get irritated and gave up unlike AOE.

I’m confident we’ll still see the creators in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I would like to add a few more.

Wheelie and Simmons returning made me think we would finally see the ancient primes/seekers from tf2 scene a lot more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seeing the knight ship again was another reason I wanted TF5.

It would have been nice to see the weapons used by the knights, and the dinobots controlling the ship. Or something similar to that idea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I believe the last thing that was warming to see was Cybertron.
    Nothing turned out to be what I thought in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Galvatross

You know what, there's nothing wrong with something turning out different than what you thought it would be.

Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction both turned out different than I thought they would, especially the latter, but that wasn't a bad thing because I love how those movies were executed.

I have no problem with The Last Knight being different than I thought it would be. I just didn't think the execution in The Last Knight was that good. I'm not a hater either. Far from. It had things I liked, including designs, scenes, characters, effects, music, and moments.

I hope with Unicron established to exist that they at least make a good final sequel with Prime, Megatron, Unicron, Quintessa, the Pathetic Dirty Foursome, Barricade, all four Dinobots, Hot Rod, and Dragonstorm. Maybe a new Unicronian Transformer and a new Decepticon or two, but no more. End it on a high note. Make it epic in a way that doesn't involve colliding planets or a planetary-level transformation.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I'm glad you don't the mind the direction they took tf5, but not me.

It's okay if the film took took some liberties in expanding the story, but not to the point of literally disregarding the most important ones. From the creators, to the Dinobots and past movies and so many other dropped ideas, tf5 just didn't try. And believe me, don't be surprised if Quintessa, HotRod or Unicron are ever mentioned again.

I created this thread so we may discuss all the things that sparked some interest before the movie was finished.
    There's so much I would say but it's better left for another thread. I didn't mean to drift off.

Back on topic, when we saw optimus floading in space I was anxious to finally see the creators we briefly saw in TF4.
    [​IMG]

The set visit that tfw staff were allowed to has kept me curious if they saw new concepts for the creators.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Galvatross

I think I should have made myself a little clearer, because I said I have no problem with movies being different than I expected them to be in of itself, but that doesn't mean I always like the execution.

In fact, how the Creator story line and Dinobots were executed in TLK was actually somewhat disappointing I thought. I didn't like how the origins of the Transformers were glossed over besides extremely vague lines from Quintessa. The film definitely should have delved more into that and saved the Hopkins/Cogman/King Arthur stuff for a spin-off in all honesty. Furthermore, we were promised more Dinobot screen time and got less than in the last film, and I was actually very happy with all of their action scenes in Age of Extinction/

In Dark of the Moon, I wasn't expecting the villain to be an Autobot, but I loved it anyway because of how it was executed. I also wasn't expecting Age of Extinction to be devoid of traditional Cybertronian Decepticons, nor was I expecting Megatron to manipulate the humans like that, but I loved the way it was executed on screen, so I was okay with that.

I did not like how the Creator thing was executed in TLK. Nor was I happy that Galvatron wasn't mentioned. I would have liked the Knight stuff as its own thing, but as an extension of the Knights mentioned in AoE it wasn't consistent.

The fifth film at the very least should have spent some more time exploring Cybertronian origins and tying the Knights to Optimus and Megatron and Lockdown's words.

• Like Like x 4
  16. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Got really excited when news broke about Lennox and Simmons (and Epps...).

Also when Barricade was announced.

Then the teaser trailer was amazing.

And strangely enough, what really got me pumped the most were those funny TV spots with Optimus, Hound and Bumblebee "on set," especially the Bumblebee one. Idk why, but it really felt like something they would do for the marketing of the first three films. So in my head I felt like it was going back to the style of the Transformers movies that I enjoyed so much in the past. Then my assumption turned out to be wrong.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Haha, yeah those were fun;

When she said "like a king" I imagined Optimus as the last knight, king of cybertron.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Strawberrytop00

Strawberrytop00 Derpticon

Barricade...
    Then they showed a picture of Nitro Zeus and I was like 'dammmmnnn'
    I was just thrilled to see more Decepticons

19. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Well-Known Member

Looking back, the way they handled Decepticons, even in the first movie, was major red flag.

What happened to Scorponok? I guess he got lost in the sand. Maybe he made a wrong turn at Albuquerque.
    What happened to Barricade? Did he fight Optimus or get off-roaded by Ironhide? Even the writers are too lazy to answer that.
    What happened to Starscream? Well he flew into space, but nobody noticed it or commented on it. (and michael bay said this scene was added last minute in the DVD commentary. That's right, originally Starscream totally disappeared without explanation like Barricade did. Christ.)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Seeing Barricade on set definitely raised the bars for me.
    I can't say I was a big fan of Nitro.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]