Looking at TR, I already miss Fun Pub

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Matt_M, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    My mind is spinning at all of the potential cool figures they could have done as part of Botcon or TFSS with these molds and alternate toolings, especially with the heads providing extra flexibility.

I know they had a lot of issues, but I need that Skullcruncher in Optimus colors, dang it! LOL

2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Considering we don't know what Hasbro has planned for next year, I'm not crying over spilt milk yet.

3. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't miss them.

They would have just cranked out more obscure characters only their staff wanted while ignoring the more obvious list of things that everyone else wanted like Gatorimus Prime or they would have dropped the ball with a badly done headsculpt or even worse QC than Hasbro. Funpub was a mixed bag that was fast churning out more insular and nonsensical figures near the end. And in the end I would point out it was Hasbro and not Funpub who ultimately gave fans a Scrounge toy.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    All I just want is a goddamn Reverse Convoy from Hardhead. I hope Takara or Hasbro or anyone can deliver.

5. TerminusTypeR

TerminusTypeR Potato!

It really bums me out too. All the fun obscure funpub stuff was so much fun. I know Hasbro will probably come up with an equivalent, but I do worry the results will be SDCC esque repaints and not the obscure characters Funpub did.

At least we got Transmutate, Under 3, and the Tripredacus council... Those were some great ones.

6. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    I hope you're right - someone needs to take up the torch of really dumb and fun homages. If Hasbro doesn't start their own sub service, hopefully they license that to another equally capable party.

7. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Considering that Hasbro has a history of including minor characters at retail like Jhiaxus, Crosscut, Scrounge and more...I'd say those are probably at least on the table.

The one thing I won't miss is Shattered Glass. I've always felt those were cop outs, in a way.

8. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    They could of given Skullsmasher an Optimus repaint into that Alligator from the City of Steel.

Yeah I miss them, they were very smart with the figures they released, would of loved to have seen what they did with Titans Return.

9. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    Yeah, imagine all the Beast Wars characters we'd get... with vehicle modes

10. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Try it out, try it out man

I feel like Hasbro got rid of Funpub because of how exclusionary they were. I'm guessing their new convention will have a similar amount of exclusives but with more availability. I'm also hoping the pricing comes closer to that of the rather fair-priced SDCC exclusives, and that they'll be able to be ordered online.

There are so many toys that FunPub has put out that I and many others would have purchased at retail if given the opportunity (See: RID Scourge, Generations Thundercracker, all of the Armada Starscream repaints) and I feel like Hasbro has realized that making in-demand figures exclusive to such an exclusionary and expensive club hurts potential sales on their end.

11. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Optimal Opthanos

News Credits:
    Spoken like someone who never paid attention to how FunPub selected their characters and the limitations placed on them by Hasbro.

12. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    If SDCC is any indication of what we're going to get, I'm already bummed out.

13. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    But didn't FunPub do OTHER things besides the toys?

Because I'm pretty sure it was because of how kinda terrible they were with the problems they've caused; constant credit card issues, kinda crappy QC, the whole "racism" thing

14. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

There is some nice repaint potential among Titan Wars.
    I've already repainted Hardhead as Gutcruncher and I'm planning on putting Nucleon on Sentinel Prime's body and repainting him as Thunderwing's inner robot.

I'll be repainting Skullcruncher as Gatoraider.

I'd love a retool of Blurr or Brainstorm as Skullgrin's inner bot.

15. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    You always need to remember that those toys weren't going to be produced at the retail level. So those were opportunities to fill out your collection and not really FunPub's fault for requesting them as toys.

Although you eventually got what you asked for with Thundercracker. Which brings me to my second point...most of the characters you'd REALLY REALLY want will make a retail appearance eventually. Or become second-chance Japanese items. Only the more obscure characters generally don't see one...and even that seems to be coming around a bit.

16. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

I think you're missing the point of TR by wanting to wait for Hasbro to make this figure when you can do it yourself easily.

Buy a hardhead, buy the upcoming Voyager Optimus and Megatron, swap the heads from the latter two onto Hard head and BOOM! revearse convoy.
    you can even paint them for better resemblance.

Sometimes, you just gotta make your own fun.

17. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's always someone else's fault with Funpub. That seems to have been their excuse from everything including hacked and stolen personal information.

18. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Try it out, try it out man

I was trying to say that without saying that (see: exclusionary) because of the can of worms and what not. Suffice it to say, FunPub had some good toy ideas with some terrible execution that left all but a few in the community feeling left out, pissed off, or priced out. Hasbro wanted their exclusives to be more easily attainable by the public so they could sell more as they realized the market for these exclusives (at least the good ones) was larger than they thought and that the small, poorly run company they had managing it for them wasn't cutting it. Hasbro cut out the middle man to sell more toys.

19. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    I won't excuse the other problems with FunPub. But the toys themselves aren't one of them. Rather, convention pricing, customer service, said hacked server, international shipping issues, etc. etc....

20. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Look, I'll be the one to say it: "Reverse Convoy" sounds like a sex position.