Looking at first TFCon 2012 - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Rikerwota, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Rikerwota

Rikerwota Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Having only been in Canada for a year (moved from Christchurch, New Zealand) I'm looking forward to attending my first dedicated Transformers Convention at TFCon in 2012.

Being completely new to the convention circuit, I'm after some advice from veteran attendees so that my wife and I can plan out our trip and get the most out of the experience.

Things we're thinking about are:
    When do we need to think about accommodation?
    Is it actually fun, or just lining up?
    Are there any stand-out panels/events you'd suggest attending?
    Anyone else here interested in meeting up and hanging out for the weekend?
    Anything else we're missing?

Thanks in advance, I'm really looking forward to planning for the event and really keen to catch up with other TF fans :D 

2. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    Watch Cybertron.ca(and TFW2005). It will be announced when accomidations become available and you can then book your hotel at a discounted rate(this year was $105 per night).

Lineups are minimal with the exception of Friday Night when the Exclusives go on sale. And even that line really isn't bad at all. It took TFCon around half an hour to get everyone registered that lined up on Friday night.

Stand out Panels? Lots of them. The Opening Ceremony was a blast this year, Protoman sang, GMFan brought the sex appeal and Jimmy Stewart talked dirty. :p 

I wasn't able to catch all the panels myself, but from what I've seen they were all incredible. Sign up for the customizing class really early if your interested in that. It sells out fast.

There will be lots of people to hang out with, lots of fun in the bar and such. There is no end of activities if you catch everything on Saturday, 9am to Midnight.

3. Rikerwota

Rikerwota Well-Known Member

Cheers for the advice, Robimus, I'll be keeping any eye out for the accomodation info and I guess I'll have to wait to see who is going to turn up for the guest panels.
    From the gnashing of teeth I've heard about trying to get into the customising class I'll have to try and be quick, but I don't think I'll cry if I don't get in :) 

Sounds like people have had a great time there in the past, I hope to see some TFW members there!
    (hint: I'll be the one with the cool accent :p  )

Thanks again

4. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  5. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can not give you advice about this show as I have never attended it. Hopefully I will be able to 1 day. But I can give you general advice that is good for all shows.

1) Shower, You may think I'm Joking but some people get so tied up trying to do
    everything. That they dont planned to do this daily item.
    2) Talk to people, When you see people wearing Tf shirts, or you over hear people talking
    about Transformers, chaim in.
    3) CASH, bring it with you. Don't think you can hitting the atm's each day. Everyone thinks
    that way and most run out within a hour of being restocked. Plus most dealers only
    take cash or will give you a better deal with cash.
    4) You may want to make or order a shirt with your Screen Name on it.
    5) BUYING TOYS.... I strongly Recommened that you do your homework. Make a list of
    what toys you want and what their going price is, (I.E. Ebay and the Boards). Walk the
    Dealer Room 1st before buying anything. Just because the 1st dealer has an item you
    want does not mean another dealer will not have 2 or 3 item you want. And give you a
    discount one a bulk buy. Also some of the older toys may have orginal been sold with 3
    missiles, but it can only hold 1 in the gun. ALso a dealr may have an item that may be missing
    a few item that can be found later or at another dealers table. You may get a better buy, Buying
    an item not complete over a complete one

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011