Look what i got at a half-price books store today....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by guard convoy, Feb 21, 2011.

1. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i was looking at the anime they had in there, and when in the conrer of my eye i spotted a g1 boxart back, so i rushed over there and found the 1984 g1 adventure game!

i was wondering, about how much is this worth? i might sell it, i haven't decided, 80% chance i keep it unless i get a reasonable offer, but everything is in excellent shape, everything but the dice and instructions are in here (hell i have 56 cards instead of 54 with not a single one bent or torn to my knowledge)

i took more photos if anyone wants to see, but i thought it was neat to get see this, the box is amazing

i paid $30 for it

[​IMG]

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, keep that. It's a piece of history and looks like it's in wicked condition.

3. guard convoy

News Credits:
    ^yeah that is the main reason i want to keep it, it is in amazing condition for something of its age, i would love to play, but no instructions means i can't make out at all how to play the game :lol 

4. nerovolpi

nerovolpi Actively Lurking

you sir have just found one of the holy grails of TF Collections.

5. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

TF Wiki or the like will surely have instructions (an outline if not a scan of the originals).

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Really sorry man, but I've seen that game go for not much more than a couple of £s at car boot sales, eBay or in second hand shops. Maybe it's more rare in the US than UK?

:lol 

Not quite.

7. guard convoy

News Credits:
    when i compared it to ebay prices it was low low end at $15 and it averaged at $30

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

S'cool. Like I say, maybe it's harder to track down in the US? I used to collect stuff like TF board games and jigsaws, stationery etc, so I have come across this game a few times over the years, but have always passed on it for some reason.
    I'm now trying to get rid of all this kind of peripheral stuff as it just takes up too much space in my room!

Not knocking it at all as I totally see the appeal, but I definitely wouldn't call it a "holy grail" or anything :p 

9. guard convoy

News Credits:
    yeah it ain't as holy grailish as my fort max :lol  i bought it because i thought it was neat, i was just curious if it had any worth, if not, oh well, it does make for a great discussion piece and is now the oldest item in my transformers collection, previously held by my vintage g1 stunticons

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As already said, these are really common especially in the UK. I'd say you paid top end for it at $30, and doubt you would see any return on that. You may just about get your money back.

11. nerovolpi

nerovolpi Actively Lurking

LOL i was like, just being sarcastic dude. to be honest i dunno what that thing's worth. but it is worth to keep IMO.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

:D 

Too subtle for my bludgeoning sense of humour I'm afraid.

13. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think it's an awesome find, seeing that the only time I've ever seen one was at Botcon.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm a manic car booter myself and I've picked up a few complete TF board games in my time for a few quid. I've never found the resale value to be that much more. Sometimes I just pass them onto TF pals for what I paid or give as birthday gifts.

That said, there's always the chance the OP might find someone desperate for that item for their collection and pay a tidy sum for it.

A lot of times for me it's the thrill of finding these old G1 items still in great condition after all these years rather than the money. Although money is obviously nice. :) 

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Whoa, that's a neat find.

I say keep it.

16. guard convoy

News Credits:
    that is the main reason i bought it, i was just mainly wondering if it was worth anything more then i paid for it

i'm gonna keep it

17. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    For its age, being in such fantastic condition (packaging anyway) it's a great find.

The price you paid for it... eh, not so much -- if you're looking to resell, that is. As I said in a recent thread, value is best determined by what the buyer is willing to pay. If you liked this and thought it was worth $30, then that's great. It's certainly a unique piece of TF memorabilia, and just the card set that it included I'd probably pay up to $15 for if they were in good condition (which I have been looking to add to my collection, incidentally).

But I'd only pay $30 if it was still sealed... I'm cheap like that. My top price on an opened one in good condition would be $20, and it would have to be an in-person buy. I couldn't justify paying an extra $10-12 for shipping.

And buying a used item like this, you risk potentially missing pieces. If yours is indeed complete and in that fine condition, I'd say it's at least worth $20-30 to a collector.

FYI: there's an ebay dealer selling this for $80 sealed -- fat chance it will ever sell for that ridiculous price...even mint-sealed. I couldn't see a collector paying more than $40-50 for this game MISB, and it would have to be in absolutely pristine condition.

18. guard convoy

News Credits:
    ^i don't regret buying it, and even the board and cards are in great conditon, i'm just glad that i got to see such a old piece of memorabilia in person, much less owning it