Look what came in the mail for me today! :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    yay package came for me in the mail!! :D 

[​IMG]

new shiny electronic drum set

$415 dollars plus $50 shipping. pretty sweet deal!!!

[​IMG]

these things are friggin awesome for 500 bucks!!! well, that plus 185 (canadian) for the double pedal :p 

took me 2 hours to put it together, I got the bass drum pad set up, then layed the rest out all along the floor, I was too impatient to finish, and started playing on the floor XD

then I got it all set up and played for another couple hours, testing out all the preset drum sets. man, they are cool. they sound so real and play pretty real too for such a low price. im so impressed by this little kit!

even the brain allows an additional 5 pads for expansion. the preset drum sets are all set to provide sounds for a 12 pad set as well, even though, it only came with the 7. Each preset has 2 bass drums, 2 snares, 4 toms, hats, ride, and 2 crashes, and you can mix and match any of those. over 500 different sounds, all which you can edit the pitch/volume/delay/etc. and 20 pre-set drum kits already set up.

I was impressed they went and recorded 4 different toms for each set

so all I gotta do is buy a bunch more pads, just plug them in, and its already set to go!

w00t!!

I had them cranked through my home theater system today, and actually had to turn the sub all the way down, cuz it was too much bass lol

I'm gonna see if I can do some recording tomorrow on the computer :) 

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sweet! I never cared for electronic drums much, but these days they're alot easier to work with, record and program in more than the raw sets that you usually have to individually mic up each drum to get the best sound for recording.
    These electronic sets are like killer shortcuts for recording.

Good deal on those man congrats!

3. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I like Alesis. They have good synths.

A good buy for $500. Congrats.

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    now you can really ba dum cha!

5. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    is there any where I can upload mp3's for people to download easily?

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Thats awesome man...I always hated electronic drums untic my family got me a set of V-Drums for christmas five years ago....since then I've been able to record demos, and integrate the pads into my acoustic setup for a couple select live shows. I still prefer my acoustic set, but for preacticing and basic recording you can't beat an electronic set.

7. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    www.acidplanet.com :thumb 

8. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    v-drums are friggin awesome, but they are way out of my price range :p 

yeah, electronic is good for messing around and practising, but acoustic drums are still preferable. especially cymbals!

and thanks for the acid site link mega prime :) 

9. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Oh that is a sweet drum set!

Now, on a totally different note...where the hell have you been?? I haven't seen you around here in ages :lol 

btw, your sig has apparantly "expired"

10. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I post here every day almost :)  mostly in the toyark, and news forum, and in cybertron.ca forum

I have a sig?

I have them turned off, so I can't see em

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Yeah if my whole family hadn't gone in on them for me, there's no way in hell I'd have ever been able to afford my Rolands....I feel very lucky!

I'm looking forward to hearing your MP3's!:) 

12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Slammin' man, congrats!:music 

13. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    Our drummer sucks, and I want to learn how to play the drums. You just gave me a bright idea :)  That's cheap and cool! Where can I get a set? And just how accurate are those pads in terms of dynamics, cymbal areas and so on?

14. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    well.. they're 500 bucks, so don't expect amazing sounds. just half decent :)  like for the price, they are amazing.

but compared to real drums, they suck :p 

the dynamics suck, you can't roll on the drums or cymbals unless you can roll with an extreme amount of force :p  some drum sounds execute ghosting, better then other sounds. You can edit every sound as well, to be more sensitive, but I did this the ride cymbal, made it really sensitive and it sounded awesome! but then every time I smack the floor tom drum, the ride cymbal would go off, just from the vibration of the rack :p 

ghosting is possible, but you have to hit them with a fair amount of power before you get a sound out of the pads. and even more force to get a sound of the cymbal pads

but they do dynamics ok, when you tap a pad softly, it'll make a different tone, then when you pound them, like a real drum will do.

I think I read online, each pad does 120 variations of the sound, from soft to loud.

which sounds like a big number, but compared to a real drum, its crap, you can get thousands of slightly different sounds out of ONE drum, especially snare drums, where as the snares here on this DM5 kit, you're really limited to how you can play it.

the hi hats are the worse of the kit, you get the hats fully open, or fully closed, that's it. well then the sound of the pedal closing them, which wil actually be interupted, if you close and hit the hats at the same time lol

also if you're doing any kind of dynamics with the open hats, the quiter hits, will cut out the louder ones, making it sound relaly fake.

so yeah, there are a lot of problems with it, but for 500 bucks. they rock.

if you just want to do some regular beats without anything to fancy, they will work. but getting into ghosting, and really quiet dynamics, just won't work.

im being really negative in this post :p  but there are some great thigns about this set as well

bass drums are fucking amazing! no matter how you want to play them.

the pads have no limit to how fast you want to play them. flams, and quick little rolls (as long as you hit them hard enough) come out perfect. So its perfect for any metal drummer that just wan to beat the shit out of them.

they're tough as nails.

over 500 different sounds, 20 preset drum sets, everything can be edited quick and easily, supports up to 12 pads

oh yeah, and if you can, mount the brain somewhere other then on the rack, because the shaking of the rack, sometimes moves the dial on it, that switches drum sets :p  so you'll be playing, and all of a sudden, it starts changing sounds on you lol

but yep. its fun for messing around with. It could work for shows and recording, as long as you're not playing anything too fancy dynamics wise.

I'll try to get some mp3s up tonight to show ya's :) 

15. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    oh yeah, I got em on Ebay. from some Armens Shop in new york. he mailed them out by fedex, only cost me 50 bucks to mail them to Canada, and there wasn't even any duty to pay.

16. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay: