Longevity - Transformers VS The Simpsons

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Repainted, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was thinking how odd the parallels are between 2 of my favorite entities. Despite how differently they've been distributed over the years, their numbers are very comparable.

For Transformers, I've factored in the 11 aired TV series, omitting G2, but noting the often obscured 5th season of G1 just because it's only new offerings were the original Transformers movie as 5 episodes. I count the imported Unicron trilogy and 2001 RiD series all as a single season each. I've also factored in episodes we didn't get like the few from RiD due to 9/11 (because they were still made for airing and later put on video) and Energon's "Scorponok's Scars" which was intended to be a key piece of the series but not aired here in favor of the 20th anniversary episode of "Distribution." I've only counted the Rescue Bots & RiD 2015 episodes aired to date. I haven't included Japanese only series like Zone, Masterforce, BW Neo, BW II, and Headmasters, etc as they were made only for Takara/Japan. I have kept notable duplicate episodes like both edits of RiD's "Spychangers to the Rescue" as 2 episodes as well as the 2 edits of Energon's pilot episode "Cybertron City." I base everything off what they've done in North America or country of origin if you will. However you choose to look at what should be included or not, it's still a fascinating achievement for each.

-Transformers
    Date established: 1984
    Number of films: 5
    Seasons: 25
    Episodes (aired to date): 616
    Founded by: Hasbro/Takara

-The Simpsons
    Date established: 1987 (shorts), 1989 (series)
    Number of films: 1
    Seasons: 27
    Episodes (aired to date): 596
    Founded by: Matt Groening

Edit: Count updated to reflect the newest Rescue Bots episode (6/18/2016)

2. Catatronic

Catatronic Banned

I like pizza!

3. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    There is a very important difference between "Transformers" and "The Simpsons": Tfs can change and have its up and downs but "The Simpsons" keeps getting worst and worst every year. :( 

4. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Not even worth comparing.

5. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Transformers has changed considerably since its conception. The Simpsons ran out of steam years ago.

6. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really didn't want to do that tired debate of who jumped the shark and when. But since it's inevitable, Transformers could've been rightfully dead and gone in the G1 days after season 3 & the original Transformers Movie dealt a hugely crippling blow to the series' quality at that point. But it continued on just as Simpsons have done for their vocal slew of critics. There's ups and downs certainly. This is, to me anyway, to acknowledge and commend both entities for meeting a standard to continue and point out similarities in how they've done so.

7. Brave Magnus

News Credits:
    Well, yeh, after "season 4" the series almost died. I think in the "30 years n 30 days" we could see that. If it wasnt for "Beast Wars" the franchise could easily died years ago. :S But its here because the series is in constant change.
    Simpsons? I swear they keep repeating the same jokes over and over. :S

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I still like Simpsons. And it evolved. I don't like re-runs of really old episodes. Although I grew up with them. I think Simpsons does it better. They keep re-inventing the show while still keeping everything recognizable.

9. MCRex

MCRex Well-Known Member

Simpsons is like unwatchable for me now. I LOVED it when it first came out.

10. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Well, the Simpsons franchise, like Transformers, it does get a little stale for the original fans after so many years...but if you're 6 years old and watching Season 19 of Simpsons, isn't that the same as one who was 4 and watching Armada as their first series?

11. Brave Magnus

News Credits:
    Not sure if I understood that. :S I will try to reply anyway: I am completely ok watching G1 and I do enjoy the different versions of Tf shows. They are different from each other, some are rather silly and other very cool. And, yes, G1 can be..silly when you look back but its still enjoyable.
    Simpsons is fun when you watch the first seasons. Then, around the movie, something changed in the series. :S Couldnt watch since then. :S but the old ones I can watch them again and again. ^^

12. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

If you've watched Simpsons since Season 2 and grew up with it, sure, Season 19 + 20 would be terrible.

But if you're a 8 years old kid now, and only started watching Simpsons 2 years ago at Season 22...would they consider it "worse and worse every year"?

Using me as an example, grew up with G1, got better with BW, changed things up with BM, was shaky on it, but still caught my attention...then along comes RiD01 (not RiD14 :tongue: ) and Armada...I felt: "wow, TFs are getting worse and worse every year". But for the kids who were 4-6 years old when Armada came out, they didn't think it was the worse thing in the world.

13. Gluttobot

Gluttobot Well-Known Member

Transformer went through many different incarnations, while Simpsons was just the same old cartoons running all throughout. Different needs. Transformers is something that needs new ideas every time. Simpsons just makes me wonder how they stay unchanged for decades.

14. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I believe both Simpsons and Transformers are popular and will continue as long as their fans live

15. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Simpsons has been on a major network for 25 years in prime time and is still high in the ratings. People of all ages watch it. It is still the same series. Is viewed as a regular series, just animated.

Transformers has never aired on a major network at prime time and has never had a series last longer then 3 seasons (full) before ending to make room for either a renamed continuation series or all new continuity. Live action movies are accepted by the general public but the series are just watched by kids and 'geeks'. Is still viewed as a toy series.

Simpsons wins the longevity race. Even when the series does end, it will go on in reruns and is among the most well known series in history. When the LA tf movies end, it will just go back to a toyline with 1/2 hour toy commercials every few years

16. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

I haven't understood what they haven't done on the Simpsons haven't heard anyone in along time go hey I got to get home to see that Simpsons.

Transformers is different because its not supposed to be the same, have people actually got older on it or just the same since the beginning?

I honestly haven't seen it in years.

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Simpsons needs to make everyone five years older. That would result in a wave of new ideas due to the passage of time. Maggie would be six.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Transformers does it better, you hate this incarnation or direction the franchise is going, wait a bit and it'll change.

The Simpsons - it's a franchise zombie of its former self that did an episode with Lady Gaga ass kissing for 22 minutes.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    They do have flash-forwards episodes/scenes, but often those are just 'Heheh - look at how so-and-so turned out in this incarnation'. Perhaps we need a Simpsons spin-off set ten or twenty years ahead. A lot of the older characters would be dead and the younger ones now adults with kids of their own. Maybe even move it to another town, but nearby so some familar faces can still regularly crop up.
    Then the show could flash back to 'original' Simpsons and still tell stories in that old version with the characters as they are now (the past).

So, sorta like having your cake and eating it and then being able to nip back now and then to eat that cake again when a good story idea for original Simpsons comes up.

20. skynet1O1

skynet1O1 Well-Known Member

For me, the Simpson's reached its peak at around late 90's and early 2000's. I agree with those who say it's progressively gotten worse. TF on the other hand has a more spotty history for me. There are series that I loved and still re-watch were there are series that I am repulsed about. But I gotta say I've watched more TF than Simpsons.