Longarm and Payload - Reviews.

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Valandar, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valandar

Valandar Dilettante and Dabbler

Went to WalMart today, and while I was there, I checked for 08 Bumblebee - no dice. BUT, hidden among the DOZENS of Bonecrushers and eight or so Dreadwings, was a single Payload and Longarm each!

Longarm:

Vehicle mode:
    Pretty decent, but with one major flaw - it's too wide in proportion to its length and height to be really realistic. Working tow arm adds a little more play value than just rolling it around.

Transform:
    The doors become wings, the roof becomes the back, the hood becomes the legs, and the back becomes the arms (with arm shields). The wrecker arm becomes a "Quagma" cannon, which is NOT removeable from the toy. Relatively easy, no real problems getting anything into place.

Robot mode:
    Pretty durn good. Articulation is pretty standard for a Deluxe (ball joint shoulders, hips, and head, normal elbows and knees, hinged feet), plus a little more articulation on the hands than normal (they're balljointed). The fact that the cannon is not removeable does limit some articulation, but not dramatically. No real Automorph. He's relatively broad, however, and the combinations of blue and white makes me think of Classics Mirage, though the added metallic grey chest, abdomen, and hips mitigates that somewhat. His head has decent to good light piping, and reminds me of a cross between Sunstreaker and a Gundam.

Overall: Thumbs up.

Payload

Vehicle mode:
    As the first civilian Armored Car transformer, I expected this thing to be blocky and pretty solid, and wasn't disappointed. It's mostly dark blue with a few light grey bits (front grill and side diamond plate "curb armor"). No play value besides rolling back and forth.

Transform:
    The inside rear end becomes the chest, and underside center becomes the abdomen. The outer front end becomes the arms, and the inner front end becomes the legs. A little tricky getting some of the parts separated the first time.

Robot Mode:
    Looking at it from the front, it looks okay - a really cool set of arms, decently detailed torso and legs, and a cyclopean head that looks a bit more like Shockwave than Movie Swindle. View it from the side, however, and the awful truth is revealed. Turns out Payload is the red-headed stepchild of Cybertron Downshift, and has a chest "Capture Claw". But since there's no cyber planet key or minicon or anything to activate it... it's activated by a plunger at LEAST as long poking out his back as he is tall. He's also quite short, standing almost halfway between a typical Real Gear and a typical Movie Deluxe. Admittedly, he's got pretty durn good articulation, but the HUGE plunger out his back unbalances him so much you have to practically pose him leaning forward enough to fall over forwards, or he falls over backwards.

Overall: Woulda been thumbs up, but the huge plunger on his back negates that. Thumbs even, neither up nor down.

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

:useless 

3. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    QFT!

4. IronhideTF

IronhideTF Give Stare Over There.-->

DITTO!

5. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

WE WANT KISS...er PICS!

6. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    C'mon, you guys already saw PLENTY of detailed pics for both figures.

7. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And we have a Feedback Forum for theses sort of threads.

8. Valandar

Oops, sorry.

And as soon as I finish some work, I'll get pics.

9. Valandar

Here's some pics. Sorry about the glare on the first pic, but it's mostly to show the size of 'em. And the fourth pic is as close as my camera could get to Longarm's head (which I think is a pretty cool head).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

Longarm looks cool :D 

11. megatroptimus

News Credits:

And there were already 2 separate threads for those figures :

Payload

Longarm

12. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Yes, yes he does. :) 

13. EmperorDinobot

EmperorDinobot I claim your sun!

Payload...was bright, but when I saw that thing sticking out of his back...wtf? Still going to get it.

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I put this in the other thread, but since there's like two now, I'll ask here as well. would it be possible to remove that plunger-gimmick thing from his back without hindering alt mode? it looks awful but the rest of the figure looks great.

15. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    The front grill is attached to the plunger, so I don't think you can remove it. If you ask me, this capture claw works much better than Downshift's.

16. Valandar

Not only is the front grill attached (somewhat flimsily) to the end of the plunger, there's a decent amount of center front end parts there, too. Unless you cut it apart and added a hinge or something that could lock if you wanted to use the capture claw, the plunger is there for all eternity.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's a pity that part sticks so far out of Payload, it would have been nice if it could have folded down somehow. Still, he looks awesome from most angles - he'll just be a devil to fit onto a shelf since he's going to need to go on a front row, with his back on a second. Hmmmm, maybe that awkward corner spot?

18. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

I'm not feeling his alt mode (even though that's what he's supposed to be) but his bot mode is awesome!

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Any chance of loosing the plunger entirely, and splitting the grill in half and attaching it somewhere else?

It looks like if that was to be attempted, the grill could be split, and attached and hinged to be on top of his feet.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  20. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    This thread should be closed and questions asked in the proper threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.