London Police Disrupt Terrorist Plot to Blow Up Aircraft in Mid-Flight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shin-Gouki, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    <br>

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow... Glad they caught that before something bad were to happen...

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This is insane. Without being funny, there has always been the danger of planes being blown up by terrorists, its nothing new. Its why we have x-ray machines and security at airports already. Good job with the police with detecting and arresting these guys (assuming they're guilty of conspiracy... the police have got it wrong twice, leading to the death of one innocent man (under shady circumstances) and the shooting of another)

But rather than banning all hand luggage, (woe betide anyone flying to Australia from the UK) why not up security? Just take more time scanning checked in baggage and hand luggage? This type of sensationalist reaction seems to be the forte of British authority now, knee jerk reactions flying in the face of established rules and proceedures, in order to try and convince the public that they are indeed doing 'something'. (For instance, Knife crime is in the news, Police set up Knife bins and an amnesty, put your knives into the bin and we won't charge you for possession. To my understanding these bins aren't exactly filled to capacity by knives discarded by guilty schoolchildren.)

Also when the tube was bombed last year, the press went apeshit, like this had never happened before. Except it had, lots of times from the IRA, who bombed London regularly. It was the worst terror incident in the UK ever, and I'm not disrespecting that, but I wish the UK press would sort themselves out, and do impartial reporting and opinions, like they are supposed to.

4. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Hype = Ratings.
    Ratings = Advertising revenue.

Some channels are worse than others - I literally cannot sit through the ITN news without getting wound up about the way they throw around emotive words which are rooted in bias rather than fact.

5. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I heard that the officials are saying that there may not have actually been an attack planned, but they just chose today to arrest people to make the skies safer.

But that's just what I read.

6. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Surely if someone DID have a bomb in their hand luggage and all the hand luggage now goes in the hold with the other bags, surely there's still a bomb in the hold, right?
    Admittedly some commercial jets have re-inforced cargo areas to cope with certain degrees of explosives but it could still potentially lead to death and injury if not bringing the aircraft down,

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

What do you expect, ITN is partly owned by both the Daily Mail and ITV.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778771.stm
    Current status of UK airports.
    If it stops these terrorist assholes killing people, then fine. All I can say is that if they're banning iPods, my flights to Botcon had better have some FUCKING AMAZING movies.

9. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

"Wohoo!!! Everyone's on edge again just as we're about to sell a war with Iran and Syria to them!!!"

10. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    and what if scanning does not pick up the liquid explosives that is said to be the culprit?

These terrorists have succeeded every time, even when the attacks fail. They disrupt and delay flights. Creating lost revenue in the short term, more funding is being spent to stop them long term, and they create fear in the public. All that without a single person being killed.

Pretty soon you won't be able to carry anything on board.

11. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    go US Airways... the two flights I'm taking on Sunday are both with smaller companies that US Airways hires I'm not worried one bit

12. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So...is the ban on liquids/laptops/"ways to keep one's self sane, fed, and hydrated" looking permanent, or just temporary? I'm getting conflicting stories.

Because, if it's in place when I fly to Botcon, I apologize in advance for BRUTALLY KILLING EVERY ONE OF YOU THAT I MEET after 10+ hours of flights and layovers without my usual sanity set. :(  Ugh...going to be forced to check luggage...10+ hours of switches...I'll never see any of it again. *shakes fist at United and Air Canada*

Air Canada is already a shite airline. Being able to work around their garbage service by providing my own nourishment and entertainment was what kept me amiable. I won't be surprised if their response to this is to start charging MORE for inflight food and drink.

Ah well. This just means I have to do my old "get up every 15 minutes to ask for another water" thing.

13. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    I feel for you brother...I'm looking at a 8+ hour flight for BotCon, no laptop, iPod, camera or anything :cry 
    I best just take a handful of sleeping pills or such and sleep on the way...I absolutely *hate* flying!

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

You can make a bomb from anything these days. Will they restrict everything onboard except the clothes on your back one day? Admittedly it's a good move to prevent terrorism but it's an overreaction to a potential plot imo.

15. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Temp until they can figure out a new system for this possibility.

16. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I can understand the frustration at not being able to bring on a laptop, mp3 player, or whatnot. But comeon....there's this wonderful new invention out there to help a person pass time. I believe they're called books. Wonderous inventions made of paper with print in them.

17. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I can understand drinks and all that, but come on! You can't carry shampoo with you!? Our family does it so we don't have to use the shitty shampoos they provide at hotels! What's next? DEODORANT? They'll ban deodorant because "Duuuhr, I ban it cuz it looks like a bomb, so off with deodorant!"

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the clarificationing, Hot Rodimus. That's what I'd figured.

bukz r 4 nuubz u nub ROFL

19. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Aerosol cans are banned for now, so no spray on deodorant. Should make Botcon interesting :p 

20. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I should have meant roll-on deodorant. :p